1st Gen R53 Cooper S Gauges - recommendations?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by FUEGO, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Tron Chief

Tron Chief "Need More Coffee"
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Maintenance Supervisor Del Monte, retired 30 year
    Lemoore California
    Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    Thanks I wanted something that looks OEM orange back lit and functional. Thanks to Marshall gauges and Steve at Custom Mini Shop these were designed for the MINI :Thumbsup:

2. FredR53

FredR53 New Member

Oct 8, 2010
    crappy
    SA, TX
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm suprised no one runs defi gauges. Was thinking of getting a defi link going personally. I've never heard of marshall, as for autometer, I've got friends that say they don't always read well. Defi has always had good products from the people I've talked to.

3. UKXPAT

UKXPAT New Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What are the mounts like for the Marshall gauges? I couldn't find them on the Marshall site.

4. Tron Chief

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Lemoore California
    Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    #24 Tron Chief, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
    Lots of us have used the Craven mounts. They look great in my opinion

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Kellen@Craven

Kellen@Craven New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Talking about Minis and stuff
    Portland, OR
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
  6. Tron Chief

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Lemoore California
    Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    Great product and great customer care all in one :Thumbsup: :Thumbsup: :Thumbsup:

7. wzabrouski

wzabrouski Active Member

May 5, 2009
    Executive Director
    Keller, TX
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    I have the prosport boost and oil pressure gauges.

8. UKXPAT

UKXPAT New Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I had checked this out already. Looks neat. Why can't you select oil pressure and temperature in one kit?

9. Tron Chief

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Lemoore California
    Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    Craven's makes it all in one neat package with these kits. As for the pressure and temp I'm sure Kellen will have an answer and or solution to this soon. However unlike the older water temp gauges that did not respond until the thermostat had opened my gauge now shows the water temp as it happens. I see the temp change during warmup and watch the temp change when I get the thermostat to open. I figured water temp and oil pressure gave a nice bubble of safety for all around operation of the engine.

10. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Kellen's kit makes this an easy selection. +1 on the Marshall Gauges. Tron, they look great :Thumbsup:

11. Kellen@Craven

Kellen@Craven New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Talking about Minis and stuff
    Portland, OR
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    #31 Kellen@Craven, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
    That used to be a difficult install because we used the same adapter for oil pressure and oil temp. Now, we have a temp adapter that fits into the oil pan drain so you can install both. I will work on getting the site updated, but in the mean time you can call or email and I can put that order together for you if you like.

12. Tron Chief

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Lemoore California
    Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    Two posts latter Kellen offers a solution. Thats customer service with a smile :Thumbsup:

13. CheckersSD

CheckersSD New Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Full time student @ UCSD majoring in PoliSci, and
    San Diego, CA
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I too am using Marshall Gauges. I have the BOOST/OP/WTMP set up. I am using the gauge pod from the OEM Auxiliary gauges and a 52mm cup from CravenSpeed attached to the Z-Bracket with a 1.5" Eyebone extension. Without the Extension the gauge was blocked by the top of the steering wheel. I love the Marshall Gauges because they do look stock and they also come with chrome rings to attach for those with the Chrome Line interior option.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

14. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    I got the Marshall gauges too. I made my own mount out of 1/8" aluminum and 2" ABS sewer pipe.

I made a cardboard pattern, to get the gauge position right, and cut out the aluminum with a scroll saw. I cut the sewer pipe so that I could use the mounting nuts on the gauges to hold everything together. I polished the ABS pipe to match the semi-gloss black that I painted the aluminum with.

I already had all the materials, so the cost was just my time.

MINIgages.jpg MINIgagessideview.jpg MINIGageswithbracket.jpg

I'm still working on hooking them up, What did you use for the gauge senders?

I have a BSH dual boost tap for the boost/pressure gauge, I think I'll use the Cravenspeed tapless adapter for the oil pressure and temperature, I don't want to put a temperature probe on the drain plug, if I don't have to. I haven't decided on the water temperature adapter. The shop manager at my local MINI dealer says I should be able to use the signal from the stock sender on the thermostat housing.

Do you have the gauge lights set up so they dim with the tachometer lights?

Where did you tap into the gauge lights?

Dave

15. CheckersSD

CheckersSD New Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Full time student @ UCSD majoring in PoliSci, and
    San Diego, CA
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Nice setup Dave. Looks really sharp. I used the CravenSpeed Oil Pressure Adapter and the Auto Meter 3/4" Adapter for the Water Temp. I tapped into the lights in the center console. The wire is Grey with a red stripe in the R53, if I remember correctly. I tapped into the wiring harness going to the auto shift selector.

I have the lower gauge panel that goes below the toggle switches behind the cup holders. I am going to install the Oil Temp and Volts gauges. That isn't for a few months though.

16. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    #36 Firebro17, May 10, 2011
    Last edited: May 11, 2011
    I thought I'd strut my new gauge install for all the fine M/A folks. Pictured are the Marshall Oil and Water Temp, Boost and Oil Pressure gauges and the Craven Speed mounting system. All components courtesy of Custom MINI Shop - Fresno, CA. Also included in the pics are the remote oil sender and the 34mm water temp tap. I installed inline disconnects for the oil and water temp in the event the sending units would ever need to be removed, thus preventing damage to the wiring. Also, note the route I chose for the Boost gauge vacuum line, directly beneath the two OCC lines. Huh... I just noticed the ambient temp reading. What a great year to graduate High School.

Thanks Steve for all your help! Cheers..... :beer

Attached Files:

17. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Dude sweet! :Thumbsup:

18. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    #38 Firebro17, May 11, 2011
    Last edited: May 11, 2011
    Here's a few more pics of the sending units that power my Marshall set up. Left to right they are: Oil Pressure Tapless Adapter from beneath, Oil Temp in the pan, Oil Pressure Line comming from beneath filter housing, Vacuum tap beneath horn, Oil Pressure sender adjacent to Catch Can. Sorry for some of the pic quality, but I'd need a surgical camera to get a good view in some spots.... :lol: Pics of the interior are above in number 36.

Attached Files:

19. Vollgas

Vollgas New Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
  20. Tron Chief

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Lemoore California
    Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    Marshall Gauges are great in any generation of the MINI. One of the best mods for the 2nd generation which does not have gauges and a great add on for the first generation looks great both during the day and during the night :drool