Most liked posts in thread: Gauging Interest: FUNCTIONAL lowering springs for R53 and R56, and possibly coilovers

1. Rally

Rally New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunately, the numbers suggest that if the R56 has any additional travel, it's minimal at best. Some of the numbers I've seen show it having only a few tenths of an inch more and then you're just getting into weight and balance issues.

With that said, I'm full support of this. Sounds like a cool venture. :Thumbsup:

I've worked with another suspension company to develop special "Function + Form" coilovers and it has been an awesome experience.

2. werD

werD Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Slave to technology...
    Nashville, TN
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'd be totally down with a set of better performing springs vs. the usual slap it down stuff people focus on (not that going low is bad at all - but here in Nashvega$, I need the pothole/uneven pavement clearance).

Had a set of M7 springs on my last R53 and while it looked good, they were not the answer for performance when actually pushed hard.

3. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I would be interested in the coilovers if they included an adjustable camber plate.

4. andyroo

andyroo New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Sep 8, 2009
    water science and mapping, and suspesnion and brak
    Columbia, MD
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    #5 andyroo, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
    We generally offer camber plates as an option when we do coilovers. With plates, still close to 1500.

EDIT: But the coilovers would take some time....springs are the first step.

- Andrew

5. versus

versus Active Member

Sep 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    You have my attention :popcorn:

6. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    I'm listening...

7. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Andy, I wouldn't do 10-15mm on the R53...you'll be on the bump springs. What most people need (but don't know it), is the 'regular guy' type spring. 5-10mm max...not look cool but it's the most you can before ruining performance*

* this info provided courtsey of Lee Grimes at Koni (not my opinion but his after years of SCCA/NASA support)

8. Doggybags

Doggybags New Member

May 9, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    You certainly have my attention for the springs.

9. andyroo

andyroo New Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Columbia, MD
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Agreed and I personally would like to do 5mm for my own car. I tend to believe Lee Grimes too....

I edited as we're leaning towards 5-10mm.

- Andrew

10. andyroo

andyroo New Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Columbia, MD
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I've been gathering this too... kinda sucks. Hoping to get an R56 in to mess with. Eventually I'll need a test car for that platform. Your's is mostly stock right? ;):lol: (yes i'm kidding)

- andrew

11. danf

danf New Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'd be interested in the coilover. The lack of an adjustment knob wouldn't bother me as long as the shock curves match the spring rates. For the springs I would want linear narrow type 2.5" width springs. I would want the rear rate to be approximately 35% stiffer than the front rate. I would like the shocks to be an easily rebuildable type like a Bilstein. I wouldn't need camber plates but would like these to work with Vorschlag plates.

I can wait for these as I'm not looking to upgrade at this time.

12. andyroo

andyroo New Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Columbia, MD
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    You nailed a couple things we are looking at for the coilovers. The good thing about the coilovers is that they will work for R53 and R56. We work quite a bit with Vorshlag by the way and they probably would be the plates we package with the coilovers as an option.

Right now we pretty much have to choose between doing R53 or R56 springs first. That's a tough call. Selfishly I want R53 springs for my own car but perhaps there are more buyers out there for the R56. Any thoughts on that?

- Andrew

13. Zeyk_Shade

Zeyk_Shade Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I'd be interested in the coilovers that you're describing at that price point. I can't slam my car due to my driveway(my Impreza makes short work of it, my R53, not so much).

14. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    There was a hole in the R53 market for a linear moderate drop spring until TSW (now WMW) started selling theirs. H-sports were the spring to have for a few years (circa 2003-2007), but they're progressive. The same hole existed in the R56 market for about 2 years, but it seems performance drivers are gravitating towards the TSW, ABF 127-spec, and NM Engineering springs. I'm sure you're aware of the competition.

However, one thing that almost nobody offers is revised bump stops. Most spring manufacturers just recommend cutting the existing bump stop in half, but then the shock dust guard wiggles around, and it seems inadequate. Integrate a revised bump stop and you might be on to something.

15. andyroo

andyroo New Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Columbia, MD
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    The problem is those springs still lower the car too much IMO. Yes, .75 to 1.2 inches for some of those listed is still "mild" to some, but on a MINI especially there's just so much to gain by NOT going that low.

A reviesed bumpstop is complicated by the dustboot but I agree that would make a nice little addition.

- Andrew

16. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    I'm VERY interested. I don't have VW syndrome where the car has to be slammed just cuz. I really don't mind the stock ride height at all.

I have an R56 that I autox (in STX, just because I run street tires not R-Comps) and run HPDE's (considering running Enthusiast Class in RTA next year too). I would be all about a spring that would work with the stock shock and not slam the car but give me a better spring rate.

17. andyroo

andyroo New Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Columbia, MD
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    ^ great to hear! you sound like the kind of person that would be a good fit for these springs.

hopefully some updates in the next few weeks.

- andrew

18. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Well, if I wasn't on the wrong coast I'd offer mine up as a test mule. :D

19. andyroo

andyroo New Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Columbia, MD
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    So, I'm not sure where to proceed. The feedback here has been really great. I posted threads on NAM and I'd say it hasn't gone quite as well. Not terrible, but it's definitely a different crowd and unfortunately a larger one.

Overall I'm not sure if we will go ahead with the projects. The coilovers have the advantage of fitting both platforms and thus there's more of a market, but it's a much bigger risk for us to commit to. We're just scared of having 50 or 100 sets of coilovers made, then selling 3 or 4. Same goes for springs.

I guess what we're looking for is a vendor to work with that has a good presence and can work with us on developing and selling good quality suspension parts.

- Andrew

20. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Bummer. I was hopeful. Oh well.