Gay Marriage

Discussion in 'Politics and other "Messy" Stuff' started by TGS91, Nov 4, 2009.

Tags:
  1. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    I'm old enough to remember when "Gay" meant "Happy" and Coke only came in a glass bottle.

We have 2 MINIs, both with male names. Seeing as how the question if MINIs are gay comes up every few months:eek:ut:, if we decide they should marry, we can always go to Canada:arf:

Mark

2. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    With the Christian Right spreading lobbying dollars 'liberally" (couldn't help it :devil:) to steer that definition

Back to my OP. Think of what could be done in this country if these groups got their heads outta their butts about foisting their morals into peoples lives and actually educating and feeding our children. Wow what a world that would be. :yesnod:

3. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    Amen brotha! :yesnod:

And people call my husband's and my car "gay" all the time....... whatever :rolleyes5:

4. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    There is an interesting extension to this...

if the sex of people doesn't matter when defining a marraige, why does the number of people matter either? So polygamy should be leagal under the "if you want to marry, do it" philosophy.

It's interesting to listen to the debates. Many groups that have problems limiting the sex of couples don't have problems limiting the number of people in a marraige. That's a bit disingenuous, I think....

It sure gets messy fast... And it's more than just government. In health care, a spouse can make decisions for an incapacitated partner. So if it's a threesome, does it need to be unanimous? In larger "marraiges" is it just majority rules?

I'd guess some just don't like the implied complexity and say "eff it, let's just keep it the way it is"...

Whether one looks at the ebb and flow of the day (like Maine backtracking) the national and international tide is undeniable.

Another conceptual item I find interesting is that if we have equal protection under the law, there are those that say the "separate but equal" is OK. Doesn't seem to stand up to the litmus test of consistancy. The arguement often goes that equal protection only applies to protected classes, and gays aren't defined as a protected class so anti-discrimination laws don't apply. Seems to me that if some group is enacting legislation that defines a group for different treatment that creates the class definition that then allows anti-discrimination laws to apply. Anyway, it's all about people trying to legislate thier moralities onto other groups. Turns my stomach and is so anti-freedom that I really, really have problems with it.

The dangers of studying philosophy and symbolic logic as a minor in college....

Matt

5. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    My point exactly. It's a hairball of regulation, legal distinctions that don't map to real life, and gaming of the system.

All of which was, of course, created in an attempt to "improve" things for some or all of us. And most of which has unintended consequences that drive... wait for it.... enlarging of the hairball. I'm not indicting the motives or hearts of the folks who got us where we are. I'm just indicting their ability to predict the costs (financial, social, and loss of individual liberty) that result.

I want government out of ALL this stuff because I have NO INTEREST in using government as a hammer to beat my moral standards into my fellow US citizens, nor in using government as a pickpocket to fund my favorite causes out of my fellow citizens' wallets.

And, Tim, I'll voluntarily contribute a much higher percentage of my income to educating and feeding the children (including my own) as soon as government stops taking roughly 50% of what I earn (and spending even more of the money my children have yet to earn) to fund other people's priorities. Most of which have nothing to do with educating and feeding anyone. I'm perfectly happy to pay the federal government my fair share for roads, the military, maintenance of relations with foreign governments, maintenance of the US Treasury, the US Patent office, immigration, the courts, and the salaries of Congress and elected Administration (not their staffs... just those who we elect). And I'm happy to pay my state and local governments for the few additional necessary services they provide.

And that's about all any of us should be paying any government for. But Matt can volunteer to pay for more stuff if he wants. It's a free country. :D

6. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Actuall right now...

I'm volenteering to pay less. I'm starting a company that's not currently profitable so everything is deductable and I get to shelter the wifes income as well!

thank you pro-business lobby!

Matt

7. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    :lol: :Thumbsup:

Been there, done that.

8. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Capitalist.

9. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
  10. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I really, really hope to be...

then I can contribute more to the likes of the ACLU, Americans United for the Separation of Church and State and all those other ultra conservative groups that get my money! ;)

Matt

11. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    You and George Soros will be country club buddies soon.

12. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The system is also against singles. Not just gov't but in day to day life.

I get killed on purchases cause there is no reason for me to buy in bulk. The opportunity costs are to great to tie up funds. 3 Years ago I bought one of those bulk paper towel things they sell at Costco. I still have about another years worth on hand. Grocery store deals are turning into buy 5 and save. Meal coupons for local restaurants are always for 2.

It's expensive to be happily single.

13. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Well let's have a government prohibition on quantity deals. No more Costco. That will make it nice and fair. Everybody pays the same price, no matter how many they buy. Fixed.

14. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Just a tab extreme.

Was merely trying to make a point about how the game is stacked.

15. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    But you're eating for two - no? ;)

16. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    You know I've never seen Vladimir Illiych Lenin and Paul in the same room, might have something to do with Vlad being dead but this post makes me wonder.....I'm just sayin'......

17. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    I just pretend to be a conservative to win their trust. Revolutions require patience. I have my man in the White House softening them up for me. Then I will strike.

Kinda like Palpatine in Star Wars Episode III.

18. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Dude...you are twisted

Can I be your evil henchman? Kinda like Rahm Emmanuel with no cumbersome impediments like the Constitution?! :Thumbsup:

19. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Nah, used to back when I was long haired hippy dope smoker with the munchies all the time. Now that I've graduated to crack I eat a hella lot less but yet can't seem to shed more then 30 lbs...

20. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Dang Paul if your taking over I'm running out and buy all the McDonald's stock I can get....What I've seen you do to a Big Mac can be down right disturbing....:shocked:....:D