1st Gen R50 Cooper Gen 1 Ground locations in engine bay

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by SNEEEZY - Erika, Oct 3, 2011.

1. SNEEEZY - Erika

SNEEEZY - Erika M/A Wrenchin' Babe!
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    Where are some of the more common ground locations within the engine bay?

2. SNEEEZY - Erika

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    #2 SNEEEZY - Erika, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
    When I used the multimeter to test the OEM ground, I held the probe against the metal piece & got a good reading.
    My intention (since the Bad Boy would go in the exact spot as the passenger OEM horn) was to connect the ground wire between the nut/washer and the metal; however, it's "open" behind the washer, so I would need to use another washer to "sandwich" the ring terminal.

[​IMG]

This is a vertical shot of both nut/washers on the same piece; I would probably use the lower one and fish the wire between the crush piece and the plastic.

[​IMG]

This is a shot of what I call the "hub for ground wires on the passenger side".
    As you can see, it is dirty/gritty (is anyone else's like that?!) and it's not flush against the body of the car like I've seen in other MINIs.

[​IMG]

I also tried using the strut tower bolts for a ground connection without successful results.

3. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    The strut tower bolts worked well as a ground for my second set of driving lights.

Jim

4. SNEEEZY - Erika

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    I'll give it another try tomorrow or when I get home tonight...

5. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    #5 Firebro17, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
    What is it your trying to mount that needs grounding. There are a few places you can use. Some are more easily accessable and/or may be more practical to use...

Here are 3 choices off the top'a my head:
    Main engine ground stud;
    Passenger side firewall stud;
    Passenger side fenderwell stud (some catch cans mount very well here).

Best'a luck!!!

6. SNEEEZY - Erika

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    Horn. My OEMs crapped out 3x and hella supertones and/or Wolo Bad Boy are going in as replacement(s).

7. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    #7 Nitrominis, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
    The first thing I recommend before adding electrical devises is to improve the oem grounds. First would be to replace the factory ground at the battery with a larger multi-strand core cable. Electricity travels in a circular motion which generates electrical heat that translates into a resistance. So the larger the core along with more and smaller strands of wire is better with a 12-24 volt system
    The first Gen MINI has limited specific grounding area's for the on-board oem electronics's. Adding any high amp electrical devices tends to create problems in the future with them and the oem electronics's without first improving or adding additional grounds.

I added several extra braided straps throughout the chassis, body, engine and a complete new ground cable at the battery and battery to chassis.
    It is very inexpensive and well worth doing only takes a couple hours of labor.

8. ColinGreene

ColinGreene Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    Don't use those mass grounds with all the brown wires, it will cause faults in the computers.
    best bet is to attach it to the headlight ground if you have one near the hood hinge on the drivers side. Or you could ask your neighbors for help...

9. SNEEEZY - Erika

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    Too funny!

hmmm....that might NOT be such a bad idea after all!

10. Norm03s

Norm03s New Member

May 5, 2009
    Working at being retired.
    Somewhere in Sykesville. Md.
    Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    How about that large GRD cable from the upper engine mount to the chassis on the passenger side. That's what I used for aux driving light's.

11. SNEEEZY - Erika

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    ???

12. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0

Any metal on the chassis with a bolt going into it makes a good ground. I would use the bolt you pictured. I use that for my driving lights.

13. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Chuck you left a couple words on the key board ....I fixed it for you :cornut:

Any cleaned bare metal on the chassis with a bolt going into it makes a good ground.

Additionally,
    it is always a good idea to use some sealer after the attachment of the wire or cable.

14. SNEEEZY - Erika

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    The bolt in picture 2 & 3, yes?

I will need to get a washer but that location would be most convenient to the horn location.

Since it looks like I possibly won't be using the OEM positive wire from the old horn, I'm guessing that I will need to cap it off and run a new positive wire.

Would I run it directly from the positive terminal of the battery (via in-line 30AMP fuse) or ???

15. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Thanks I hates when I do that.:crazy: My guess is not having a clean ground is as good as having no ground.:wink:

16. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Erika, it's always better to have a switched power lead. One that powers on or off by the ignition switch...... if you have a choice and can find one. You don't want the power lead laying on a hot engine part or rubbing through the wire insulation while being directly connected to the battery. Think of unexplained engine fires.

Secondly, always fuse you power lead. And try to fuse it as close to the power connection as you can. As an example..... It doesn't do much good to add the fuse at the end of a long run of wire. Think of all the exposure that wire will have, rubbing on vibrating engine parts, or high temperature exposure that might melt the insulation. If that power lead shorts out on a metal frame member or engine part, figure on a fire or other nastiness. That entire wire run would be unprotected by a fuse at the wrong end of the wire. If the fuse is close to where you are picking up your power connection and you have a short, the fuse will blow, as it should, protecting your circuit.

17. Norm03s

Norm03s New Member

May 5, 2009
    Working at being retired.
    Somewhere in Sykesville. Md.
    Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    Here's a picture or two:

Attached Files:

18. SNEEEZY - Erika

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    I planned on having approx 3-4" of wire bridging "the source" & the in-line fuse, just as you described. In fact, I already have the ring terminal crimped & attached via 12g to the in-line fuse. I haven't cut the length of wire for the other side of the in-line fuse because I'm not sure how much (or little) I will need.

19. SNEEEZY - Erika

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    Pics are so helpful...thanks!

I need to find the socket for that particular nut. It is a 13mm, yes? My 13mm has "gone on vacation" without my permission, so I wasn't able to use that spot for the testing I did on Monday during lunch.

20. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    You can use a 1/2" socket on that 13mm....