Suspension Brakes 1st Gen Getting a rear sway bar soon...

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Dirt, Feb 9, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Dirt

Dirt New Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Tire Delivery Boy
    Near some twisties
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I've looked at a few different ones, and I probably will just go with a 19mm, but I'm not totally sure yet. However, someone told me last night that my R53 won't accommodate anything larger than 20mm. Someone please tell me not to believe them!

2. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Do not believe them.

Presently running a 22mm Hsport which is actually 25mm in diameter but because of it's hollow construction (lighter) it is effectively a 22.

3. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    The R53 will fit many sway bars over 20mm. Most people install a 22mm sway bar. No matter what size bar you decide on get an Hsport. They are by far the best sway bars, they never squeak, the powdercoat is top notch, and they are all one piece bars, plus the biggest thing is they have grease zerks on the bushing brackets to regrease if you ever need to.
    The Hsport comp bar physically measures 25.5mm, but is a hollow bar so it is the same stiffness as a 22mm bar, but weights about 8lbs less than a solid 22mm bar.

Hope that helps.

4. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    ^^^^ what WAY said...:Thumbsup:

5. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,017 / 1 / -0
    I ran one of those ^^^^ on my '03 JCW. It's now in the back of my '09 Clubby. Works fine in either....you can take that to the bank! :Thumbsup:

6. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    +1 for Zerk fittings! Whenever I have the back wheels off, I put a shot of grease into each bushing, plus a bit for the adjustable lower control arms, and I never have a squeek issue.

I just repacked my grease gun today w/ Energy Suspension Pre-lube... a hideous substance that sticks to everything it touches (seriously... it takes brake cleaner to get it off... buy a 100-pack of disposable gloves), but it's wonderful grease for just that reason.

I'm currently running a h-sport bar that Way put on my car back in 2006... still love it!

7. Dirt

Dirt New Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Tire Delivery Boy
    Near some twisties
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Sounds good guys, thanks. The Hsport 25.5 hollow is actually the one I've kind of been thinking about, and when I save enough, I'll probably buy one...

8. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Saving to buy something is un-American. Get a loan and go into debt like everyone else. :cornut:

Jim

9. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    You had it right with the first choice, a 19mm is stiff enough. A larger bar alone is a narrow minded approach to suspension tuning.

There's no need to mess with grease at all, H&R's bushings are Teflon impregnated (just like OEM); no maintenance required.

It's only a matter of time before the grease channels collapse on H-Sport bushings rendering their Zerks useless.

10. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    You need to decide on your overall plan for the suspension. The 25.5 Hollow H-Sport is fine if you do not add camber plates to the front. But the better suspension improvement solution is to add front camber plates (to increase the negative camber) and add a smaller rear bar such as a 19mm solid bar.
    Note the 25.5 hollow is closer to a 23mm solid than 22mm solid.

11. putterfarm

putterfarm New Member

May 18, 2009
    Bum.
    Pittsfield, Pa.
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I would get an adjustable bar, that way you can set up for track days and soften it up for daily driving.

Listen to what Way says, he's been setting MINIs up since they invented the BRA :D

Mark

12. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    I've helped to regrease 2 Teflon bushings sets on rear swaybars that were squeaking like mad. You have a lot more experience and car knowledge than I do, but teflon isn't a final solution either, IMHO. Personally, I've had good luck with the zerks.

13. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    The number one complaint I see on other vehicle forums is the same I use to get from any after market bushing was the irritating squeak! With or without zerk fitting, graphite, self lubricating etc., it never mattered. When any of these bushings were exposed to different environmental situations i.e. rain, snow, dirt, mud, dry desert heat, etc... they all made noise!

Live with it or Lube it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

14. bee1000

bee1000 New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Marketing
    San Diego, California
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Give Way a call and put together a complete plan for your car.

I was planning on doing a 19mm rear bar with the JCW suspension and ended up with the competition rear bar, plus the front bar, JCW struts and TSW springs. It's a delightful setup for the twisties and not at all unfriendly as a daily driver. I'm sure he'll come up with a good plan for your specific needs, too.

15. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    I just completed an upgrade a couple weeks back that included the H-Sport 19mm adjustable rear bar and the WMW/TSW springs. These were added to the already in place Madness under strut bar, cabrio braces and the M7 strut bar and plates.

The car drives awesome and I can feel the positive difference it all made from the stock suspension... As a daily driver it's perfect.

Attached Files:

16. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Firebro17 Red is gooooood!

[​IMG]

17. Boxcars

Boxcars New Member

May 27, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    bought an h-sport 25 from way,
    may be the best mod i made on my mini, cornering is awesome!
    boxcars

18. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Yes-Yes... Red Is Good! :cool:

19. llzeRoll

llzeRoll New Member

Nov 25, 2013
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've been reading about sway bars and camber plate matching and also that you recommend the Hsport range. I understand with front camber plates most people recommend a 19mm bar as a bigger bar than this will be harder to keep the back in check.

I'm planning to get an airride system so i'll have camber plates. My car is basically a daily driver with a bit of autocross and i like to hit the twisties in the weekends. I dont plan on using a front bar just a rear. My rear suspension will be approximately -4/-5 degrees camber. With a setup like this, will i be happy with a 19mm or should i go for a 25.5 bar?

Would love some educated advice on this! Cheers.

20. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,667 / 2 / -0
    I know nothing about air ride suspenders. -4 to -5 rear camber is an incredible amount of camber. Wow, my best guess is it will handle pretty poorly.

Welcome to M/A