Most liked posts in thread: Getting ready for the Dragon

1. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Bring the shop rags that are loaded up with gold dust....:Thumbsup:

2. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    If you powder coat your wheels, make sure the wheel bolt holes will still accept your wheel bolts after the powder coating is done. If they just powder coat and you don't check the wheels or tell the powder coaters, you could be in a world of hurt trying to get the wheels back on if the holes are too small.

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I've not see that problem Jeff. I have seen where the seat of the bolt hole has been powder coated. This can cause a loose wheel. You also don't want the hub-centric part of the wheel powder coated. I've seen that one myself & it was scary watching a MINI with a wobbling wheel drive down the road in front of me.

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    "some shop cloths at the Dragon last year. If anyone wants more, I will bring them."

Hey Teddy,

Count me in for some more of those rags. I have been using them since last year and only have 1 left. :Thumbsup:

Do NOT powder coat you wheels white because over time heat and crud will turn the yellow and stain them. I tell people never have rims powder coated because the powder coating never fully cures even if its baked because of the heat a wheels sees from the brakes. When they get hot they get stains that you can never remove.

You would be better off having your wheels blasted, painted White and Clear Coated.

Then when you are ready you can ceramic coat them with Gyeon Rim or Kamikaze Stance rim coating. <<---- These to coating will not allow brake dust to stick and you can just wash your wheels with soap & water for over a year plus. No need for Sonax or any other rims cleaners at all, but if you think you still need rim cleaners they will not remove the ceramic coatings.

I treat customers / friend rims all the time and charge $200 a set and use the above products on the rims including my own wheels.

Excellent and cheap ceramic coating.
    Gyeon Rim $44.95 for the kit. http://www.esotericcarcare.com/gyeon-q2-rim/

The best I have ever used. Amazingly slick anti- stick coating.
    Kamikaze Stance Rim Coat $89.95 for the kit http://www.esotericcarcare.com/kamikaze-stance-rim-coat/

5. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    Teddy, I'd like some of your "shop cloths", too! You can bring them to the Cigar Salon! :ihih:

6. BillTheCat

BillTheCat New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    This will be my 14th MOTD in a row, and I never lose the impatience that builds as Florida's brutal sub-70 degree Winters quickly morph into Spring, signalling that MINIs on the Dragon is just around the corner. I even attended in a Mazdaspeed3 for 3 years & will be in either a WRX or a Supra this year, but I don't care. Love the MINI community, and this is like a family reunion every year.

7. BlwnAway

BlwnAway Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    This will be my 11th and I still look forward to it every year.

8. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    This will be my 15th trip down and my last...bringing my r50, the car I started with...gonna be fun, yet sad in a way. It's been a hoot and I've met a lot of friends along the way, especially at the Cigar Salon, but it's time to age along with my MINIs. I'll miss coming down, I'm sure...especially the Cigar Salon, which I began back in 2005, but it's time to say good-bye. :cryin: So, you cigar smokers, come , socialize and get your freebies, as I'll have lots to hand out Wednesday night, on the Porch, outside the Rec Hall, after the Welcome Dinner.:Thumbsup:

9. BruceJ

BruceJ New Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Lodging on the Dragon

How in the world does one ever get a room at Fontana Villiage for this event? They seem to be booked 3 years out. Thanks
    Bruce

10. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Get on the waiting list first. Once you get a room or cabin reserve it for the next year every year.

11. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    You can contact them to put your name on "the list" for any cancellations. It's a good idea whilst at The Dragon to book for next year. The dates are all posted at- http://minisonthedragon.com/future_dates.php
    There is a good number of other places near The Dragon and Fontana but usually they book out just as fast. I stay at http://www.riversedgetreehouses.com/ They're good about contacting you when filling cancellations as well.

12. AAONMS

AAONMS Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 16, 2011
    I play with trains...
    Fruit Cove, FL
    Ratings:
    +221 / 0 / -0

That is exactly how I got on the list in 2012 so I had a room the next year as well as following years.
    Folks who are reserved have first preference to reserve again next year.

Sent using Tapatalk

13. M1N1

M1N1 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Tool and Die Maker
    NW Ohio
    Ratings:
    +330 / 0 / -0
    Registered, hotel booked. Don't know if I can make it on the Wednesday (work :mad5:).

14. LowCountry S

LowCountry S Active Member

May 14, 2009
    Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    you reserve your cabin for next year when you check out...:Thumbsup:

15. BillTheCat

BillTheCat New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    It's certainly not easy these days. A lot of it comes down to the system in place, which allows each cabin renter 1 week (I think) after the event to re-reserve for the following year before their cabin becomes available to the general public. Many cabins are just effectively permanently booked under this system.

There is a waiting list. You have to call the Fontana Reservations line to get on it. If you only want to be considered for certain sizes/types of cabins, be sure to let them know. And don't be afraid to call in & ask what the list looks like from time to time.

If you don't have a cabin in your name this year, make sure you get on the list for next year ASAP. I don't think the list rolls over from year to year, but don't quote me on that. I also don't know when they start the list each year. Probably a good idea to check at the desk.

Oh, and scour the message boards for lodging available to share. I've stayed in the same cabin for probably close to 10 years now. I always put the name of the person who shares my cabin on the reservation to make it easy for them to get a key from the desk. This also allows them to theoretically "inherit" the reservation if I ever decide to let it go.

16. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Current cabin reservations are available to be renewed for the next year for only two weeks after MOTD. I reserve mine every year on Saturday when we settle up the bill at the end of the week because we leave at 5 am Sunday to drive back to Philly.

The best advice I can give is "Call, ask questions, and GET ON THE LIST"

Once you get a cabin or room keep reserving it year after year. The reservation fee is only 1 nights stay.

Even if you are not sure who you are splitting the bill with next year or if you are even going again reserve it. As you know they are hard to get and easy to let go. You can always let your reservation go and get a full refund if you cancel 30 or more from the event.

17. AAONMS

AAONMS Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 16, 2011
    I play with trains...
    Fruit Cove, FL
    Ratings:
    +221 / 0 / -0
    ^ The above is true… Or, if for some reason you can't go and you already have a room, you could always do what I had to do one year when I couldn't go… I sublet it.

Sent using Tapatalk

18. aslondon

aslondon Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2015
    Male
    Retired School District Director of Operations
    Monticello, FL
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    #19 aslondon, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    We're on the waiting list at Fontana, but when I called them they didn't expact alot of openings this year. so ...

We just found a cottage to rent down in Stecoah. We stayed in Robbinsville last year and were VERY disappointed in the accomodations at Dragon's Rest, you had to drive through a junk yard to get to the cabins which were mediocre at best.

Al

19. Msfitoy

Msfitoy Member

May 16, 2009
    Male
    Automotive/Industrial Designer
    NC
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I called them yesterday and they were able to get us a room at the lodge for Thursday/Friday/Saturday...was not on a waiting list...maybe just got lucky...maybe not too late for you?

20. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I am ready to go right now!

The next two weeks (8 days ) are going to be so long. I took off work every Friday this month. :ihih: I will be heading for Fontana Sunday, April 30th early in the AM and spend the night in Alcoa.

Summer tires are on and I just got back from a local shop that completed a full brake flush and ABS bleed along with a custom alignment. Car is back to running on rails since my Winter upgrades. :cornut: