TurbineMD New Member

Jan 14, 2012
    US Navy Chief
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    :wink:
    Hello all,
    I am very much new to all things MINI. I am a Mechanic in the Navy for the last 20 years and just got my first MINI. I am a driver like most of you and choose MINI because of its driving dynamics. I have a Lightning Blue and Silver 2008 Cooper S Clubman and love it. I have installed exhausts on almost all of my cars including a nice cat back Borla on my 2001 F150 Lightning and and IPD Sport on my 1993 Volvo 940 Turbo Station Wagon. I do not like raspy coffee can mufflers as heard on many hondas and such and I am looking for something with a bit more grumble for my Clubman. Well, at least as much grumble as I can get for a 1.6 liter. Listening to online videos and clips its hard to tell what systems really sound best in person at idle, normal:wink: driving, and wide open. If anyone has some suggestions, please let me know. I appreciate the advice. I am also looking for clubs here in the PACNORWEST. It would be great to hear some different pipes in person. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to M/A! Post pics when you get the chance.

As far as exhausts you will find that most (not all) won't be raspy because of the turbine. That tends to mute the high-rev "raspy-ness" that you get with 4-cyl N/A cars.

There are TONS of options out there. Most tend to be a smidge more expensive for the Clubby over the standard hatch.

Check these folks out:

WayMotorWorks R55 Exhausts

Detroit Tuned Exhausts

MINI Mania Exhausts

These are just three options. There are others out there.

3. JMC40

JMC40 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2010
    O...H...!!
    Ratings:
    +373 / 0 / -0
    #3 JMC40, Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
    Welcome, welcome...I just installed the NM Exhaust on my Clubby. It has a great deep throaty sound, however it is a little louder than expected. In my exhaust research most, if not all of the cat back exhausts for the Clubman remove the resonator, so it will add some noise. If you are looking for a less aggressive exhaust there are a few options where you just replace the rear mufflers (Remus Racing and the JCW are both axle back). However the price of those are about the same as a full system.

4. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Welcome aboard. I have a 'justa", so I won't answer your questions. :D

Jim

5. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    #5 Jason Montague, Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
    :cornut: Welcome! Welcome to MA from Sherman,Texas and an old soldier. We have a retiring Master Chief in the Mid-Cal area. His handle is Tron Chief. :Thumbsup:

Jason

addendum:Factory JCW exhaust, sounds great to me but more expensive than aftermarket.

6. TurbineMD

TurbineMD New Member

Jan 14, 2012
    US Navy Chief
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. I think I would prefer a setup that removes the resonator as I did with my turbo wagon but I also like the Borlas on my truck so I guess I'll wait until I hear a few in person. Jason, thank for your service and I'll watch for Tron Chief. I retire this year as well. Jim, I am sure your MINI is Justas much fun. I'll post some pics in a few days and start working on my profile. Thanks again everyone.

7. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Welcome to the addiction :biggrin5: The NM exhaust that JMC40 has on his Clubbie sounds great to me and I'm a big fan of the JCW exhaust as well.

8. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    welcome to m/a

9. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Welcome, thanks for joining Motoring Alliance.