Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Got B&M 45131 - need help installing

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by JCC, May 4, 2010.

1. JCC

JCC New Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Installation Manager
    Sachse, Texas
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Anyone local done this and interested in helping me? I haven't been able to find a DIY thread, but maybe I'm just not good at looking. I didn't want to wait for the next DIY unless its going to be soon, but I'll do what I have to. Thanks!

2. JCC

JCC New Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Installation Manager
    Sachse, Texas
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    No one replied, but I wanted to update that I got it installed. Just need to secure the heat shield better when I can get it on the lift. :Thumbsup:

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Might be cause it was in the 2nd Gen forums. Just noticed that and moved it.

4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    So the real question is....... Was it worth it to install? And how does it compare to the original OEM?:D

5. JCC

JCC New Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Installation Manager
    Sachse, Texas
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, Nathan!

I found the shortened throw to be much better than OEM. I am not sure how this compares to Helix, Craven, Alta, etc. as I have not driven with those. When testing to make sure I could go into all gears before putting everything back together, I literally laughed out loud I was so surprised by the difference. The B&M blurb says 30 - 40% shorter throw and would have to agree with that. It felt like 50% to me, but I got used to it in the matter of a day. Just feels natural now. Some people said you have to get a Whalen shift knob to compensate, but I'm not sure why. Nothing against Whalen. Maybe they just needed an excuse to buy one. Can't say I blame them. They look really nice.