3rd Gen F56 Cooper S Got to drive an F56 today

Discussion in '3rd Generation: 2014+ F54, F55, F56, F57, F60' started by MCS02, Apr 12, 2014.

Tags:
  1. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    IT - Complex business systems in the cloud
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    I enjoyed the F56 too. So much so that I dragged my sister-in-law down to the nearest MINI dealership to trade in her Mercedes C230 SC for a new MINI.

Unfortunately, the dealer had no MINIs in stock to sell. They were even short on demo cars because of the recall of cars already sold.

2. TurboChargedChiliPepper

May 14, 2014
    REALTOR, insurance broker.
    Raleigh, NC
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    #42 TurboChargedChiliPepper, Jun 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
    You know what's interesting is that several 0-60, 1/4 mile, etc... Tests that I've seen of the F56 S, actually point to my first impression that the car is indeed slower than the R56 N18 cars. You can check out Automobile mag, AutoTop, etc... The R56 N14 S cars ran 15.0's in the 1/4mile, and the N18 S car's ran mid-high 14's. The F56 S 1/4 mile on Automobile ran a 15.6 @ 92mph. That's slower than the pre-LCI R56 S. When I drove the F56, the first thing I noticed was how different the engine was. It sounded strange, the exhaust was completely muffled, and where the N18 car pulled strongly from 1250RPM-redline, the F56 never packed the same punch. The AutoTop 0-100 test took almost 7 seconds. I can run 0-100km/h in about 6.3 secs. I believe that the extra weight the US spec car has gained, combined with the very modest increase in power, has made a car that isn't as fast. Not to mention the gear ratios are longer on the new car for efficiency. BMW would've been smarter to put the 1.5T in the S - but with close to 190-200hp. It weighs less, is more efficient, and it sounds better. The other issue is with it's grille. It just looks stupid with that black strip running across it, and they are raising the price another $500 across the board for MY2015. When the VW GTI does everything the new F56 S does, but with more power, torque, style, and quality, the MINI now seems pointless. I just hope BMW can figure out what they are doing to their cars before it's too late. I think the F56 is a fine car if you don't care about the way it drives too much, but I don't think it's anywhere close to being as fun as the previous car. It went from being about a 10/10 in terms of putting a smile on your face, to being about a 3/10. It's a much more comfortable car, but that's not what I was looking for in a MINI. If it had kept the character and added comfort, that would be one thing, but to me it felt like a dog that had been neutered.

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I guess if 0-60 & zero to 1/4 mile matter to you. In the real world where folks are not racing down a drag strip these cars are essentially the same. Once the tuners get there hands on the F56 it will be faster, how much is anyone's guess at this time. I think there is much potential there. Time will tell if I'm right. :)

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Yup^^^^ the F56 will be the best and greatest MINI of them all. It's such a great looking car with so much potential because the same motor in the BMW 2 series puts out 255 hp. All the tech built in and the great ride comfort everybody should trade up and buy one.

5. TheModFather

TheModFather Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    11 years in the ARMY, 2 years of being a multitale
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    Somebody hacked Dave.0's account! That cant be him!

6. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    #46 Crashton, Jun 1, 2014
    Pretty sure he had his tongue firmly planted in cheek when he typed that one.

Never going to be a looker, but given enough time Jan will make it a runner for sure.

7. TheModFather

May 15, 2012
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    If Jan could just make it fast enough to push the nose back where it should be, and the tail lights fall off, it would be great.

8. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    #48 Dave.0, Jun 1, 2014
    Nope that is me posting because you can not say anything bad about the new MINI F56 or everyone will call you a hater. No more will you see me speaking the truth or my honest personal opinion about the great new ORIGINAL MINI because it is the best MINI to date that BMW has ever made period.

I have joined the elitist group of MotoringFile and others all over M/A & the NAM that believe BMW and MINI can do no wrong. Maybe when my old R53 JCW is completed next week I may as well just trade my car in for the latest and greatest at the church of BMW /MINI so I can just be another robot MINI owner.

Thanks for taking the FUN out of MOTORING.

Are you happy now people? You know who you are......:mtrn:

9. TheModFather

May 15, 2012
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    Wow... Who rustled your Jimmy's?

10. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Nope just in general people are crying and it is hurting M\A so I will no longer speak the truth about the F56. You can no longer have an opinion with out a bunch of people crying around the USA. I am just happy that some are retired Vets and they made it hope safe from war but they cannot handle the Internet.

All hail the F56 we should all own one.

I may as well go back to the NAM and kiss M/A goodbye at this point...:confused5:

11. TurboChargedChiliPepper

May 14, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    I'm just tired of BMW saying this newest MINI is the best, fastest, baddest looking MINI of all times, when in reality, it's not. 0-60, 1/4 mile times are important, as it equates to how easily you can pass, merge with traffic, and when you do track the car... How fast you can do your lap. I also noticed how hard the brake pedal was. It wasn't firm, it was rock hard, and took a lot of force like it had no assist. Not sure if it's the Asian brakes bmw has been using on their own cars, or what, but they aren't as linear as the previous two models brakes. The flexibility of the engine was my major issue - besides the muffled noises - with how it performed. Yes, aftermarket tuning may help, but my car was plenty fun to drive when it rolled out of the factory. A tune just enhanced it. The F56 feels like a tune is a must have. Also, some people tuning the N20 ran into issues with just stage 1 tunes, like cracked heads, pistons, and about $7K in repairs as the engine basically imploded in itself. Not sure how strong the B48 has been designed in its stock form for S models. We will see, but the lack of top end really was a turn off.

12. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Sorry Dave that I misunderstood your heartfelt love of all things F56. Didn't see that one coming. :smile5:

13. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I think the sanding has got to him! Watch out ModFather you may be next, you've been doing a lot of sanding! :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    I knew you would come out of the F56 closet! Will the new car be chili red? :devil:

Don't hold back Dave :lol::lol:

Now that I think about it I've been sanding my motorcycle tanks for a few days. If I go off the deep end and buy a Fiat someone put me out of my misery!

14. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Turbochilli many people will buy them & love them. I won't & neither will you, but they will sell & the folks who buy them will love them just as we love the ones we have. Life goes on in the world of BMW/MINI.

15. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    It the greatest MINI ever made by BMW and everyone should but one because everyone says so. No ones opinions matter anymore.

16. Spa2k

Spa2k Well-Known Member

May 9, 2013
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +975 / 0 / -0
    When was the last time you saw a car manufacturer say, "Our new model isn't as good as the last one, but you should buy it anyway!" :D

17. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    Opinions matter, but not to BMW/Mini. This new model will stop a lot of people from buying Minis which is sad but the truth. I won't be buying one! I mean heck I already have one of the most hated and bashed Minis that there is so who cares. ....... This Mini will be my last one and then I will leave the Mini community behind also.

18. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Like your avatar Rick.

19. TurboChargedChiliPepper

May 14, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Usually, manufacturers actually improve their cars. Look at the VW GTI from MkVI to MkVII. It's night and day. Everything about the new GTI is better than the last one. It's cheaper, much faster, HAS AN LSD OPTION, has adjustable dampers that make the ride go from buttery smooth to MINI "sport suspension" firm, and it's bigger yet lighter. What has BMW been doing recently that has been a huge improvement from generation to generation? The E90 335i was the best all around sports sedan ever. The F30 is like a Camry with a turbocharged inline-6 and RWD.

20. DixonL2

DixonL2 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Supply Chain Implementation Guy
    A bit north of the 'burgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    Drove one a little more extensively today, had to bring one of the "sticker cars" for Mini Track Rides over to a local Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix organizing meeting.

I still have to say it's the best front-wheel-drive BMW ever made. Good power, with the typical "rubber-bandy" turbo power curve (easy to get used to, good power, lots of torque down low, but it's not a normally-aspirated straight-line power delivery).

Good handling, firm suspenders with a bit more body roll than I'd prefer - though this car was on all-seasons.

Reminded me of a really sharp college decathlete, but 5 years later when they know more and are more refined, but have put on some additional power but a little weight and "insulation".

Gotta say, one of the things I really appreciate about a good car is that it gives you both a great hug, and a little "goose". The "goose" seems to be absent... but then again, perhaps checking the JCW box might bring that waterfowl back...