Government Shutdown

Discussion in 'Politics and other "Messy" Stuff' started by rum4, Oct 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Funny thing is he has a point.

Congress passed a Bill and the President signed it and made it Law.

Now a bunch of GOP crybabies are going F the entire country because they have sore butts for the law being passed and losing the last election.

Things won't be any better after the next election because silly Ron Paul splits the GOP ticket and Hillary will win.

Sorry and thanks for playing the politics game in the GREATEST COUNTRY ON THE PLANET.

Nobody ever said we are perfect but we are all FREE!

2. docv

docv Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 30, 2009
    moble auto paint tech ( PTU )
    Central Missouri
    Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    I don't agree that it is the GOP that is holding things up. If they would have ever read the law before it was passed we would not have it in the first place. As Nancy Pelosi said " you can take the time to read it after we pass it" was just wrong. Now a few are trying to make things right. Obama and Reid are just as much at fault, the art of negotiation is a lost art, it is called compromise.

3. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Well then the problem is the GOP themselves. Really the GOP is not going to read a bill completely before they vote for a Bill that is so important. Shame on them and they should All (both sides) be replaced.

The passing of this bill that was voted on by CONGRESS and is just another glaring example of the ineptitude of our own government at all levels.

BUT this is no reason to take it out on all the Government employees and not include themselves in this problem they ALL created.

4. BRG_Paul

BRG_Paul Active Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Turbomachinery Engineer
    York, PA
    Ratings:
    +184 / 0 / -0
    You are right that the art of compromise has been lost. Both sides have staked out an ideological position and won't budge an inch. Apparently now even after a law is passed ... you can simply hold the rest of the country hostage until you get it overturned or defunded....and you never personally feel the pinch. Both sides play this game ...and its just plain crap. The law can be overturned when the votes support your cause.

Both sides should be ashamed of their behavior.

5. docv

docv Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 30, 2009
    moble auto paint tech ( PTU )
    Central Missouri
    Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    If the Dems would have read it they wouldn't have voted for it either. But the shutdown should include themselves as well, they should not get paid, and I will go one step further in saying until they pass a budget they should not get paid.
    Everyone of the Senators and Congressmen that are now in should go.
    They are all leaches sucking at the tit of the American voter, and I don't know about you guys but, my teet is sore.

6. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    ^^^^ 100% agree with the last two posts.

I feel really bad for all government employees that affected, hang in there, and maybe the Washington Circus will get its act to gather and everyone can get back to work as soon as possible.

7. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    #27 cct1, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
    The way the bill was originally supposed to be built, as promised by Obama, was a bipartisan effort, with open cameras, on C-span. First day of deliberation, no Republicans, doors closed, no cameras. It went downhill from there.

The republicans (especially the tea party, who I am not a fan of, reactionaries never really end up being very constructive, but tend to revel in being destructive) are getting the blame, but the fact remains that every point of contention they have that has led to the shutdown were labelled "nonstarters" by Obama himself. The end result is that the blame lays equally on both sides. No one will talk or compromise. Both parties are to blame.

The bill was ramrodded through congress intentionally, it had momentum and it was treated almost like a national emergency--it wasn't. The reasons go back to Clinton's attempt at health care overhaul--it was debated in a bipartisan manner, and died on the vine. Obama purposely did NOT want this opened up to debate specifically because of this, figuring the chances of getting this through were much higher by quickly getting it through congress while he had a democratic majority, and before everyone could digest it in it's entirety. He succeeded, but this is the price we pay for it.

8. tampadave

tampadave New Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Lawyer
    Clifton, VA
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    I contract with the federal courts in Washington, DC, so I'm directly affected by the Government shutdown. Thank God, as a family, we're financially sound! By the way, I quit the political fray after the November election. I'm completely apathetic to American politics. And I feel great! I much prefer MLB, NHL, F1 racing, and college football to FOX News or MSNBC.

9. 05r50

05r50 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +697 / 0 / -0
    So Jon Stewart's point is that the opposition party to the President has no right to dispute the health care reform law

• Because it was a bill proposed by congress
    • Passed by congress
    • signed by the president
    • Endorsed by the Supreme Court

Funny thing is that doesn't make it right. We have had laws in the past that fit all the criteria above however they
    • Made Slaves of Blacks
    • Didn't let women vote
    • Prevented Gays from marriage
    • Made Alcohol illegal
    • Prevented women from having the right to choose

But Jon doesn't want to crack jokes bout that now does he?

It sure was a simpler time when people just all agreed that its a law so we cannot oppose it.

What a load.

Don't get me wrong, get rid of the entire city for all I care.

10. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    It was interesting that after it passed and Pelois released the CBO report on it the a lot of the Dems said that if they would have seen that before they wouldn't have voted for it. The report was out days before the vote but Pelosi sat on it.

This law has nothing to do with health care. It's doesn't make it affordable, as a number of us already know. It is all about CONTROL. With this law the government can control just about every part of your life. If they don't like you do something or owning something (guns) they will deem it a health risk. If the can't ban it they will fine or tax it away. For proof just look at what has been done with the interstate commerce law.

11. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Now we are starting to get into individuals ideological views.

This is NOT the site for that, There are 100's of political forums out there to debate this stuff. Please not on M/A as it spreads to the more pleasant areas.

We don't need that, this site is an escape from the day to day carp.

Thanks and have a nice day :)

12. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    It is about transferring one sixth of our entire economy from private ownership to the government. Effectively nationalizing our healthcare system, not all in one fell swoop mind you, but this is the first very big step.

Let us not forget that the Supreme Court only ruled Obamacare constitutional as a tax.....and look who is in charge of it, the Internal Revenue Service.

13. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Let me try this again please, now in Bold...woo hoo

Now we are starting to get into individuals ideological views.

This is NOT the site for that, There are 100's of political forums out there to debate this stuff. Please not on M/A as it spreads to the more pleasant areas.

We don't need that, this site is an escape from the day to day carp.

Thanks and have a nice day :)

14. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    Sorry Nathan. It is in the messy section

15. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Some things are just a bit too messy.

This is one of them.

16. tampadave

tampadave New Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Lawyer
    Clifton, VA
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    I left the political fray last November and entered a state of total apathy. I pay my taxes, ignore all media reports, and watch sports and 1940's black and white movies on TV. Life is calm and very tranquil. I'd much rather discuss things in the MINI world.

17. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Ditto.

18. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    I'll stay out, I usually avoid these anyway, it's just the timing hit me--because of meaningful use, we are in the process of completely changing how we use our computers because of govt. mandates now and in the future. It is an incredible headache, and it's frustrating when people who have know idea of what we do make rules on how we're supposed to do it, with penalties if you don't.

Ok, vented, I'm out.

19. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    #39 Dave.0, Oct 2, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
    You have good points but those laws did not shutdown the government and completely F the real working class of the of the government because the idiots we elected cant read or talk to each other but are still getting paid.

It's all complete BS!

20. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    You know, you guys have a point. This has been a civil thread, and it is in the messy section. We are at best at the "dark mark," no where near the "dark crime," like we would be if we were arguing something REALLY important, like BVH's....

Attached Files: