Government the answer you say?

Discussion in 'Politics and other "Messy" Stuff' started by minimark, Oct 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. All4One

All4One New Member

Feb 5, 2012
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    That's good, Nathan. You mean facts like the Kenyan posts you didn't object to? Really?

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    There are a lot of things that go one here on M/A that I object to. Just as there are a lot of things in life that object to. If I was to censor all the items I object to my life and M/A would be rather one sided and boring. M/A is a reflection of it's collective parts, not all are always shiny and happy. If I tried to make the site a refection of me, I'd spend a lot of time talking to myself. So while I may not relish some of the items in this particular forum area I think it's good that people have a little corner of this site where they can discuss less than savory items. Others may not want to visit, hence the instructions on how to block the area from view.

3. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    All4One, I assume that your board name reflects the MINI that you drive and not your political view or your view of how we all should live. If you are going to take comments on this board or any other personally with attacks such as the response you provided I suggest that you either block this forum from view and play friendly with your fellow Miniacs or find another platform for your pent up frustration.

4. All4One

All4One New Member

Feb 5, 2012
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    That makes a lot of sense and I appreciate the line-drawing and work/time you put in. So let me understand, you lashed me because I made it personal, and that is different from racist remarks? After all, those Kenyan slurs were not only personal to our President and factually wrong, but he cannot defend himself because they haven't yet made a Bulletproof Mini Limo? I just want to understand your line-drawing approach, Nathan. For the record, I am a life-long fiscal conservative, but grew up having been taught to respect the President and the office of the presidency, no matter the party affiliation. By the way, by Wednesday or so, I would like to know how to unsubscribe. I promised photos of my dealer-installed driving lamps and sports gauges some readers asked for. I do like to follow through on my promises, so please don't administratively unsubscribe me before I have the chance to post those photos (not yet sure how to do that either). I will unsubscribe myself by Wednesday. I do not want to be a pain so I will voluntarily go away. I just want to do those photos first. I try to be a man of my word.

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    #85 Nathan, Mar 11, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
    A few things of note:

1. I do not administratively unsubscribe anyone except when they are spammers or if they cannot follow the site guidelines. I'm happy to say that in the almost 3 years the site has been alive there has only been one person that just doesn't get the way the site works. That person had more than there fair share of chances too.

2. I cringe every time I see one of those references to Kenya. I do not agree with that sentiment but I don't allow that color my thoughts as whats posted on the site. In trying to make sure that if people don't want to see it I have created the way to block areas. This area is also blocked from Google and other Search Engine crawlers so it is not indexed. It's also hidden away in a members only area where one has to be registered on the site to see it. I also cringe when I see links to certain other sites, but I also try to be above that and be the bigger person.

3. I lashed out at no one. I only asked that people not take it personally and attack others. One can see that I often bring up the subject of not making it personal and requesting that people use factual information. Things usually die there as much of this political discussion is personal and not factual. I simply ask that people check their emotions at the door when they post in this area. Hence it rarely has any posts.

4. I blame myself for adding to this thread the other day. I was only trying to add more info on the Fisker situation. I could have accomplished that in a better manner. Goaljnky did and his thread on the same info I posted is much cleaner.

I'm sorry you feel that the site no longer offers what you are looking for in a MINI related site but I do understand that M/A cannot be all things to all people. There is no method for an individual to unsubscribe. That is a fault of the underlying software, vBulletin 3.8.x, that the site uses. When people have posts on the site I do not delete accounts, it causes big holes. What I do is reset the password to something that cannot be easily guessed, shut off the notices from the site, remove the email address from the profile and from the newsletter mail list. One just needs to let me know that is their desire and I take care of it right away.

6. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Frankly no one, even the President recieves respect he or she has not earned and the policies of this President and his complete disrespect for our Constitution and the American way of life, earn only the same from this American taxpayer...

The freedom for me to voice this opinion is brought to you by the Constitution of these great United States!!:thumbup:

7. All4One

All4One New Member

Feb 5, 2012
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    The Constitution, like the Bible, is open to interpretation. Example of differing interpretations? Sure. Try this one on for size. "Eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth." The common interpretation is that if you take my eye out, I (or our society) take(s) out yours. Alternatively, if I take your eye out, I become responsible for becoming your eyes. Maybe it is just me, but I want my grandchildren to grow up in a world that reflects the latter rather than the former. So ... the reason we have a judicial branch is for this reason precisely ... to interpret the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and other laws/statutes of national consequence. To be fully forthcoming and all due "respect," I'll go with the Supreme Court and take a pass on your interpretation. I sure wish this political season focused more on what each candidate will do do, and how, and less on what they say the others said, did not say, did, did not do. As it has instead devolved, I have no clue what their presidencies will look like or what we might expect. And it's broad brush know it alls that make the haze thicker and invite more lack of clarity. I for one (All4One), do not know how right or wrong I am in my opinions. What matters are the results, and the integrity and fairness of how we, together, get there.

8. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    A paragraph from a great read about OUR Constitution:

*** In the present there still exists the need for a strong, stable Constitution. The nature of man has not changed since the time of the Revolution. The same forces, which shift and displace the rights of men in their time, would do so in the present. Just because we have entered into a new age of computers, cell phones and the iPad, does not degrade the power that was put in place for our protection. The Constitution is not a play script open to the interpretation of the actor. It has clear text and intentions that are well defined in the context of the framer’s history. The Constitution was written for the reason as stated in the preamble, “to… secure the blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity.†(US Const., Preamble) This document was made for us and is still effective today.* As statesman Henry Clay said, “The Constitution of the United States was made not merely for the generation that then existed, but for posterity- unlimited, undefined, endless perpetual posterity.â€*

If anyone is interested, I could post the whole article?

9. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Lets get back to the topic please...that being Fisker Motors and their woes while using our money.

Thanks.

10. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Umm.......that can get boring really fast :beer

11. All4One

All4One New Member

Feb 5, 2012
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Once slings and arrows cease, sure. I'd love to. Looking forward to it. I just won't lay down.

12. All4One

All4One New Member

Feb 5, 2012
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Show me *IN* the Constitution where this is supported, then persuade me that the amendments are unconstitutional, and then show proof that the majority opinions of the Supreme Court justices never interpret the Constitution. Thereby, your source, of course not cited at all, is but a viable emotional appeal. Sure, post the thing. The writer is thoughtful and I can respect that.

13. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    And again please...

Let us move beyond this and get back to the topic at hand. Again, that being the woes of Fisker Motors while spending the money provided by the US Taxpayers.

Thank you.

14. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    ....in the words of Rodney King " why can't we all just get along". Now, how about that Fisker!

15. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Just for the record:

This post was meant as humorous political satire, speculating on the results of combining two preconceived points of view. Nothing more and nothing less.

"I think the next best thing to solving a problem is finding some humor in it."
    -Frank A. Clark

16. All4One

All4One New Member

Feb 5, 2012
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Just for the record, nice cover.

17. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    All4One, it doesn't surprise me that you have to have the last word, nope....not surprised at all!

18. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Dammit...

I get the last word

Ya'll can't stop. I can make it stop

Thread closed