1st Gen GP GP style spoiler/wing anyone?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by t955152, Mar 16, 2010.

1. t955152

t955152 New Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    first of all, thanks to Nathan for providing this space and allowing me to talk about this topic.

long story short. I'm working on some GP style wings. I am talking about a spoiler that is similar to GP but not 100% replica. It's going to have the shape of GP wing but slightly modified.

My question is, would you guys pay $700 for this spoiler? So far I am getting 20 of them into USA perhaps by late May 2010. I don't know if i'm getting more afterwards. so that could be the only 20 here as I'm going to be very busy in the next half year. This is not a joke or a rumor. it has started. let me know if you are down to get one. and give me your email address. I personally want this wing really bad, and that is why I came up with this idea. and since producing one copy is a waste of money and time, therefore I tell my parents to have their factory to produce another 19 copies. So yeah, I would like to share this awesome stuff with those 19 lucky people around who also want a GP wing really bad ;)

2. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    :useless

:wink5:

Mark

3. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    :Thumbsup:

Pics needed.

4. ChrisMCS04

ChrisMCS04 New Member

May 12, 2009
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Let's see some pictures!!! I am excited as long as it retains the GP size and shape!

5. t955152

t955152 New Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    will have picture in late april, ScottinBend and ChrisMCS04. all i want to make sure right now is that the price is cool for you. I will remember the username of people who encourage me :)

for those who think it's useless, your reply is useless to me as well since you are not answering the question I have :)

THIS REPLY IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT ANSWER lol

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    It's hard to determine if the proposed price is a value or not without seeing the product.

Is $700 to much, probably not if the quality is there. However, keep in mind you are an unknown in the MINI realm at this time. Asking if a price point for a potential product is reasonable is going to bring back a lot more questions to you.

7. t955152

t955152 New Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    yeah that's true Nathan. but don't people need to survey the market before investing money and time in production? would you make something without knowing how much it's going to be sold? :( that's the only thing im worrying about so far. I can guarantee the quality will be good and the material is going to be fiberglass all the way. not gonna use carbon fiber at this point since i dont even know how many people are going to purchase them. I am not making these stuff out from my garage. it's going to made in factory with 500 workers. plus, it's owned by my family. so yea. that's why i want to know how much this could be sold for before making a mold for that.

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I understand both sides of the equation. I've been down this path. I commissioned a prototype about 2 years ago. Once I found the real cost of production I could not come up with the cash needed and the project died.

I'd imagine if ya'll have the manufacturing capability you can also estimate costs to produce. Once that is know you can figure how many need to be sold at x price point to get a return on this investment. There is a large market for a GP type wing, however, there are a lot of talkers out there too. Can you sell 20 at $700? If the quality is there I will say yes you can, it won't be fast, you would need to prepared to sit on them for some time. Pictures of the completed or at least a passable prototype will build interest. Once a few people have one the sales would increase so long as (broken record mode) the quality is there.

Unlike other sites I'll give you a free pass up to the point there is product for sale, at that point you would need to enter into a sponsor agreement, which you will find is quite reasonable as compared to other sites. I do understand that market research is important and am willing to work with you or anyone else in the same situation.

9. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    I was interested in this wing when Nathan was entertaining having one. I was wondering how you overcame the glass attachment problem?

10. t955152

t955152 New Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Thanks again Nathan, I didn't know you tried before. I just got a MINI a year ago, and just got so into GP 2 months ago. Compare to you, i am a newby. btw, do you have that prototype installed on your car? i'd be interested to see how you mount it. if $700 seem to be a good price, then i'm down to have it started. i have contacted with people in my country with GP who are willing to take them off for me to make copies. so that part is settled.

regarding to the mounting. we are going to modify it. remember how M7 C wing is attached? That is going to be it! There's no way we are going to have people cutting glass or worrying about the fitting issue. once it's done, it's going to be universal which will be able to fit on both R53 and R56. again, i'm making 20 so if you are interested. you can leave me your email and i will keep sending you picture from the factory as soon as we start it.

11. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    OK, I gotta ask these questions.

Why is it so important to have our E-mail address? Wouldn't you get more interest by posting the progress and pictures on this open forum? Instead of only communicating to the lucky 19?

If you need 20 to justify the mold cost, why wouldn't you continue past the initial 20?

Now don't be offended, because I don't know you, but from time to time I get these spamming requests or letters that tell me I have a huge amount of money waiting for me in a Nigerian bank.

But that's just me!

12. t955152

t955152 New Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    hahah understand that but i dont think any of those spam mail company will be so specific to work on some MINI cooper websites and its members.

first of all, i HATE haters. and there are so many in NAM. so i don't really want to share this with any of those haters out there. that is why i need the email address from people who actually are patient and nice. Once it's done, I will contact them personally and sell it to them instead of selling it everywhere in websites or dealers because i only have 20. don't be offended because i dont know you, but yeah i hope you are not one of those haters who don't believe in anything ;) i hope that answer your question.

13. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    You are not going to collect the email addresses you want. I'm not giving you mine yet I am quite interested in the wing. I gave you a place to see if there is interest. If so and you actually do make one you can post the pictures, but when you go into sales mode I expect you to reward me by becoming a site sponsor even it is only for a few months till all the stock has been sold. I'm taking the risk on you and feel it only fair.

14. t955152

t955152 New Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I respect that Nathan, and sure i will register to be a vendor. I will also have the pictures and everything you need. I just dislike haters that is why i am here in your website. I hope there are not many of them here :) don't misunderstand me, the reason why i ask for emails is because i dont want to sell it to people who discourage me or saying this **** is useless that's all.

15. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    If you are going to stick your neck out and produce something there will always be someone that is going to give your grief over it.

I can tell you that if you do produce it and the quality is good and the price point is affordable delivered to ones door step then you should not have a problem selling 19 of these. The 20th being yours.

16. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Nope, not a hater, not me. I got too much money in that Nigerian bank!

17. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    How true!

18. t955152

t955152 New Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    thanks nathan. I know you've been there done that. so your opinion and suggestions are valuable for me. but no i aint getting the 20th i will get the 1st :p

nice Metalman! im glad u r not a hater lol. pull some money from Nigeria to help my production :)

19. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
  20. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    I would be interested as I said on NAM. And I believe I mentioned the Nathan (Gnatster) had looked into making a prototype GP wing?