2nd Gen Guapish Fliver - "Tha build"

Discussion in 'Car Builds, Projects, Idea's Experiments' started by Guapish_Fliver, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Guapish_Fliver

Guapish_Fliver New Member

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sneaky sneaky

Attached Files:

2. Guapish_Fliver

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Allllrighty, now I'll throw a dart at the wall and move on to the turbo and intake installation. There was nothing fun about installing the new turbo and it didn't get any easier the third time. It was actually more difficult with the 3" downpipe. The downpipe installation alone took several hours and some serious thought. There was basically no clearance between the manifold and walls of the pipe. Getting a wrench to clear required the downpipe to be moved constantly. It required a ton of patience, swearing, and breaks. In the end I had to "modify" some studs with my dremel to get it to work. Like whoa...

The waste gate rod on the new turbo had more "girth" and required the coolant return line to be swung 180 degrees to go on the inside instead of the outside of the rod and the hose had to be modified and cut to fit. It's not that much fun talking about either. The builder also cross threaded one of the nuts in the old exhaust housing which snapped. None of the exhaust manifold studs were tight and all came out of the block, and the copper anti seize was not used on the nuts. ...

Basically it took a lot longer this time and involved a lot more sexist remarks, sweating, and modification to get things to fit or work...

I'll post a few pics with notes on some important aspects that I never saw in any other turbo removal and installation guides. Like removing the simple little bracket for the coolant supply line. I didn't do that the first time and removing it made my life a little easier. I decided to scrap the heat shields and wrap the pipe and bought a blanket for the exhaust turbine housing.

The short silicon intake I received with the turbo would not fit the pcv routing sensor so some reducers and couplers were needed. The sensor and air intake inlet were the same size so I needed a small 1" joiner and a 1.375" to 1" reducer and clamped it all together.
    I don't really care about shielding the filter from the engine bay. There's not much room in there. There is a fresh air hole around where the filter is so I think I'll be alright.

The Alta hot side pipe fitment was excellent. No complaints and I like it more than the NM offering because it is all in 1 piece. That has to flow better than the 3 piece NM unit IMO.

The intercooler was from jmtc and looks like the forge. It's a bar and plate and fitment was excellent with that too.

The turbo sits extremely close to the valve cover and I'm hoping it won't melt in the future. I could see that there had been porting work done to the turbo and I didn't want to split the turbine housing to look inside. I really wouldn't know what to judge it against anyway. Same thing can be said about the ported manifold. The work looks decent and the exhaust ports where matched to the gasket. Hard to tell from the pictures but you can see a difference looking down the runners comparing the two.

I'm prolly forgetting a few things but the ins and outs of the installation are a bore. I don't want to spend too much of my time going into the finer details but to put it simply, this part was challenging for me. It really sucked. It did. I like working on dirt bikes but cars not so much...I'll be glad to answer any questions if I left something out.

Next chapter I'll discuss the relocation of the coolant reservoir. That needs its own chapter because it got pretty hairy.

3. Guapish_Fliver

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Exhaust side

Attached Files:

4. Guapish_Fliver

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The dominator

Attached Files:

5. Guapish_Fliver

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    One of the problem children...

I had to pry against the manifold to get the clearance to get a wrench on the nut. That sucked.

Anytime you have to use a pry bar I promise your not having a good time...

Attached Files:

6. Guapish_Fliver

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This is the little bracket no one mentioned in the write ups that made life easier. It's pointed to with the extension

Attached Files:

7. Guapish_Fliver

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Manifold comparison

Attached Files:

8. Guapish_Fliver

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's hard to compare with pics but i thought id share anyway

Attached Files:

9. Guapish_Fliver

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Jmtc has his own stamp which I thought was kind of cool

Attached Files:

10. Guapish_Fliver

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Jcw vs 47mm dominator

Attached Files:

11. Guapish_Fliver

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Not much clearance from the valve cover with the new turbo

Attached Files:

12. Guapish_Fliver

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The sensor would not fit into the silicon compressor intake from jmtc. As you can see it was the same diameter

Attached Files:

13. Guapish_Fliver

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I had to go mill around a silicon warehouse to find the right 1.375 to 1" reducer and coupler to make it work. Here's how they went together

Attached Files:

14. Guapish_Fliver

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Intake assembly. I chose the Alta foam because I think they have good cell foam and I like foam anyway from running dirt bikes. Cleaning it is no bother to me...:cornut:

Attached Files:

15. Guapish_Fliver

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here you can see the little filter through the fresh air port.

Attached Files:

16. oldbrokenwind

oldbrokenwind Active Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Male
    Retired
    Northern NV
    Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    Considering the area you're located, you can safely remove the "sensor" (it's a heater to melt anything frozen on the turbo intake) without fear of a CEL. The connector can be taped over and secured to an adjacent harness / hose, or otherwise protected from the elements. This will eliminate some unsightly clamps and adapters. PCV hose might just fit on a 1" coupling to the JMTC hose.

You might re-consider the heat shield between valve cover and turbo exhaust. I melted the VC after two runs at ThunderHill raceway. There's a seam on the OEM piece that when separated, protects the VC nicely. Bolts directly to the exhaust gasket. Looks funky but it works.

Now you can understand my signature --- where I indicate "sweat & knuckle blood". JMTC part mods look pretty good. Can't wait to see dyno pull results.

17. Guapish_Fliver

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a turbo blanket for the exhaust housing, I'll take a pic when it gets light, do you think that will be sufficient?

My OEM heat shield is so mangled its a beast. More "modifications" needed if I want to put it back on...

Did you notice how close the turbo is to the valve cover? That bothers me more than anything else heat related. My scoop is already toasted.

I don't mind the un slightly clamps as I'm not really trying to win any shows with it as long as it works. I think I'll keep the arrangement with the little heater thing intact because I do a lot of traveling.

I'll wait till it cools off some to do a dyno run lol. Maybe this fall. Thanks for the advice and input as always obw

18. Guapish_Fliver

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #38 Guapish_Fliver, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
    Here's a short chapter on how I managed to relocate the coolant reservoir. I am no metal worker as you can see. Some of you are probably laughing at my metal fab skills because the piece is not all that pretty. I had to gather the materials from scratch from the nearest hardware store, so there are probably better options as far as how to do this. On the other hand what I dreamed up works, and secures the reservoir to the plastic firewall rock solid. I'm actually pretty proud of it. It's like I have a kid in the special olympics that won gold. Not the best in the world, but good for me.

Ok so I bought a bunch of 6x6 L brackets, and found the area on the firewall that was the most semi straight.

I then clamped them in a vice and hacked off the bottoms so it wouldn't hang down too far and mess up my flush-ness. (Kind of flush, like flushy, semi flush)

I found that stacking them together made the whole thing really heavy lol so I separated the brackets with washers.

I bolted the whole weird little thing together and marked the bracket and location where the slots to secure it would go.

I then raised the bracket a sufficient amount above the rest and drilled out the holes to match all its brothers for the bolts.

Now, I clamped it in a vice and hacked and ground the little "sapling" down around the tabs so it was kind of flush with the rest of them with the little tabs remaining at their original height.

I bolted the arrangement to the plastic using the largest washers that would fit to distribute the load and used nylon nuts.

Then I mounted the reservoir, and drilled a final hole for the little male part on the bottom back side of the reservoir to push through and further secure it to the firewall. I drilled the hole very close to the size of the rod thing so that it fits tight.

Boom. Ran the long lines and was done.

The only problem is that the plastic connector at the bottom of the reservoir to the line slowly leaks has to be fiddled with until it sits perfect. I can position it correctly so that it doesn't leak but I don't like it. I'm thinking I need to buy a plastic connector or wrap the male piece with plumbers tape. I've been driving around leak free, but if it gets moved at all it drips veeeery sloooowly. Not enough to lose any amount of coolant but still bothersome. Any suggestions?

Next chapter I'll discuss how I made the custom silicon charge piping and the fitment of the jmtc aluminum cold side piping.

P.s this chapter was written while taking a dump, and may or may not have had an effect on the tone of the post. Just fyi. Until next chapter...

19. Guapish_Fliver

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Marks where I would hack the tabs out

Attached Files:

20. Guapish_Fliver

May 31, 2016