Product Review GYEON MOHS Coating

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by MCS02, May 9, 2019.

1. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,892 / 10 / -3
    Before I start this review I would like to thank @Dave.0 for telling me what kit to buy and also taking the time to answer my questions. As Dave suggested I bought my kit from Esoteric. This is a good company to do business with, the order arrived quickly and when I had a question Todd called me and took his time making sure I knew what I was doing.

This is a review not a how to, I will leave that to our local uber detailer

I bought the Gyeon Mohs Pro Kit. It comes with everything you need to coat your car.

https://www.esotericcarcare.com/gyeon-mohs-pro-kit/

IMG_6493.JPG

If your paint is in pristine shape you don’t have to polish it, but coating does not hide any defects so get your paint looking as good as possible before coating. I washed the Helmet, clayed, fixed some very small rock dings then polished it. After that I washed the car with Dawn dish washing liquid to strip the paint. After drying the car very well, I let the car sit over night just to be on the safe side. Before coating you will go over the car with Gyeon Q2M Prep, included in the kit.

Before I did the coating I was thinking of it as being like paint. I thought once I put it on, like paint, I would have to have a dust free environment to let it dry in. Where I live when I open the garage door the Helmet being black gets a little dusty after a few minutes. So I was worried like paint the dust would settle into the coating. That is not what coating is like. Think of it as the easiest wax you have ever applied! You put it on in small sections then wipe it off. For example I did half the roof and then wiped it off. You really need good lighting to do it. I did it on a cloudy day but had a light stand shining on the car. With good lighting its very easy to see that you are getting even coating and wiping it off well, you don’t want it to dry before wiping it off. I did two coats letting it dry for a little more than an hour between coats. I kind of wonder if one more coat would have been better.

I think it came out good. It really makes you paint look a little deeper. I coated over the vinyl and clear bra. The vinyl is a flat black. It still looks flat but a much deeper black. You have to wait a week before letting the car get wet. Today is one week sense I coated the car, so I cant tell you how well it beads water or if it made it easer to clean. Also I did not do the wheel arches. I will do them later but I would conceder doing them at the same time.

I had told my wife I would do her Mini too. She said no thanks and was worried I was going to screw up the Helmet. After finishing she said she could see a big difference. I asked if she would like me to do her car after all, she said yes. I take that as I didn’t screw up too bad.

The black line is what I have left after doing two coats. I may have used too much product, @Dave.0 may be able to answer that question.

IMG_6502.jpg

If you have a car that you want to keep the paint looking really nice I highly recommend coating the car. Do I recommend doing it yourself? Maybe. If you are into detailing your car then go for it but if not I would leave it in the hands of someone like Dave. If you do decide to do it yourself Esoteric has a lot of videos I would watch some of them first.

Here is the Helmet after coating.

IMG_6475.JPG
    IMG_6476.JPG
    083A7548.jpg
    083A7543.jpg
    083A7541.jpg
    083A7536.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Awesome job Lee you car looks great.

That is about what I have left when I do two coats of Gyeon MOHS. Most times I use the rest on rims and trim.

3. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    That looks great Lee. If you lived a little closer, you'd have an F56 to do too.

I've printed out most of what Dave has written about the process and gave the info along with a couple of video links to the guy that does my car. It's going to be a little while before I get him to coat mine. Still have some mechanical stuff I want to finish first.

Again, the Helmet has never looked better.

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,892 / 10 / -3
    Thanks guys! I didn't do the trim because I thing it still has some Penetrol still on them. I need to strip them first. I have also thought of using it on the brake calibers. I love the JCW brakes but they are a major pain to keep clean.

5. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Man that looks so good Lee. We need Dave O to do a how to detail your car school somewhere.

This old guy admires that kind of work & dedication. Although it's too much for me. My routine is to do a good 2 bucket warsh & then spray Prima Hydro on to act as a wetting agent / drying aid. It leaves a nice polymer shine & lasts until the next warsh.

6. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

It also works great on wheels and those big JCW Brembo calibers. All mine are coated.

7. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,892 / 10 / -3
    Ok its been a couple of weeks now. I have been leaving the Helmet out rain or shine. Last week the Helmet was filthy it had a ton of dust and crap on it. I sprayed it off with a hose before washing it, when I did the dirt just feel off! I almost didn't wash it it was so clean. That was just hosing it off. Yesterday it was pretty dirty but it rained this morning and it looks clean agin. If you get close you can see there is still some dirt, not much though.

So far this stuff is great. As advised by @Dave.0 I plan on doing my wheels and brake calipers

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    It lives up to the hype.

9. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,892 / 10 / -3
    Yes it really does!

10. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    OK... I'm on board.

I've been a Zaino guy for WAY too many years... from back when it was top of the line. I ran out of several Zaino products all at the same time, so I figured it would be a good time to switch to a more modern product.

Gyeon MOHS + Skin (Synchro system)
    Some fresh polish... I've been a fan of Sonax polishes for a while, but I'll give the Gyeon polish a try. Rufus' paint is in pretty good shape and their medium-cut to fine degrading polish should be perfect.
    Gyeon wash, detailing spray, iron (wheel cleaner) and prep (pre-coating cleaner).

Looks like I've got some fun bonding time with Rufus in front of me! :D

11. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Sonax make one of the best polishes on the market and I use it on every car I detail. I use a yellow Rupes pad for cut and polish. Or the same polish on a soft white pad for an ultra perfect polish.

It’s called
    Sonax Perfect Finish 4/6 250 ml.

And you can get a small tube on Autogeek which will be enough to do 3 full size cars or 5 MINI’s.

https://www.autogeek.net/sonax-car-polish-perfect-finish.html

12. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
  13. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Yep. I had a great trio of polishes that they made... 3 grades for different levels of issue. They were getting a bit dried up and crusty, though. Time for a refresh.

I just bought the tiny bottle of Gyeon polish. Their US reseller shoots a bunch of YouTube videos and it seems to be a decent polish for a generally good finish like Rufus (I did a deep cut polishing a bit over a year ago). I've got some medium foam pads out in the garage that are in decent shape and the old PCDA.

Man... that "Iron" wheel cleaner reminds me of the hair salon my grandmother used to go to in the back of a JC Pennys... It smells like hair perm!

14. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I don’t like the smell of Sonax Full effects or Carpro Iron X wheel cleaners either.

You are 100% correct they remind me of the smell when my aunt or grandmother was visiting my mother and getting a permanent in our kitchen when I was a kid. I spent the whole day outside.

The best I have found with a mild smell is Dodo Juice Ferrous Dueller Iron Remover. I buy it 10 bottles at a time so I can keep it in stock for our personal cars and customers cars.

https://www.autogeek.net/dodo-juice-ferrous-dueller.html

15. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Most of the time, for my cars, I wash 'em frequently enough that I don't worry about a special wheel cleaner... soapy water will do just fine. I've got some additional nooks on Rufus' new wheels that are deeper than my normal brush will get to, so I decided to splurge for a deeper clean before I coat.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

I agree about cleaning wheels. That’s why I coat them also.

17. Canusrufis

Canusrufis RMW Powered R53
    Lifetime Supporter

Nov 27, 2013
    Male
    Winston Salem NC
    Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Dave.0 with gyeon mohs coating what do you recommend using to remove tire marks after an HPDE track event? Cure removed some of them but not all.

18. Canusrufis

Canusrufis RMW Powered R53
    Lifetime Supporter

Nov 27, 2013
    Male
    Winston Salem NC
    Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    oh and the rim coat after track event is awesome! I pretty much sprayed the brake bits off with a stream of water. cleaned right up!

19. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Back when I raced I used good old kerosene to clean all the black marks off the paint. Although I didn't worry about the paint much on that car.

20. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    WD-40 works real good too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List