Product Review Most liked posts in thread: GYEON MOHS Coating

1. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Man that looks so good Lee. We need Dave O to do a how to detail your car school somewhere.

This old guy admires that kind of work & dedication. Although it's too much for me. My routine is to do a good 2 bucket warsh & then spray Prima Hydro on to act as a wetting agent / drying aid. It leaves a nice polymer shine & lasts until the next warsh.

2. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    OK... I'm on board.

I've been a Zaino guy for WAY too many years... from back when it was top of the line. I ran out of several Zaino products all at the same time, so I figured it would be a good time to switch to a more modern product.

Gyeon MOHS + Skin (Synchro system)
    Some fresh polish... I've been a fan of Sonax polishes for a while, but I'll give the Gyeon polish a try. Rufus' paint is in pretty good shape and their medium-cut to fine degrading polish should be perfect.
    Gyeon wash, detailing spray, iron (wheel cleaner) and prep (pre-coating cleaner).

Looks like I've got some fun bonding time with Rufus in front of me! :D

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Thanks guys! I didn't do the trim because I thing it still has some Penetrol still on them. I need to strip them first. I have also thought of using it on the brake calibers. I love the JCW brakes but they are a major pain to keep clean.

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

It also works great on wheels and those big JCW Brembo calibers. All mine are coated.

5. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Yep. I had a great trio of polishes that they made... 3 grades for different levels of issue. They were getting a bit dried up and crusty, though. Time for a refresh.

I just bought the tiny bottle of Gyeon polish. Their US reseller shoots a bunch of YouTube videos and it seems to be a decent polish for a generally good finish like Rufus (I did a deep cut polishing a bit over a year ago). I've got some medium foam pads out in the garage that are in decent shape and the old PCDA.

Man... that "Iron" wheel cleaner reminds me of the hair salon my grandmother used to go to in the back of a JC Pennys... It smells like hair perm!

6. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    I polished out my daily driver, a 2010 Volvo XC60 (a nice metallic cranberry red) a week or so ago (after a wash with strong soap and a good clay bar), testing the Gyeon 'polish' product for the first time. It's wasn't very aggressive and I had to scale up to a bottle of Sonas Restore that I had in the garage... I didn't feel like being out there for 20 hours, but the Gyeon polish made for a nice last step. Gyeon makes a 'compound' polish, so I may need to give that a shot. The 'polish' would have been plenty for my R53 which is in great shape, but the Volvo gets stored outside and needed something more serious. The Gyeon 'polish' did have a nice working time before it dried out and gave a beautiful result. Easy to clean-up as well.

I laid 3 coats of Gyeon MOHS on the Volvo this weekend. When putting the last coat on the car, I almost forgot the roof. I pulled the ladder up and put the last bit on up there. Unfortunately, I must have shaken a drip out of the MOHS bottle and when I walked back into the garage a few hours later, I spotted the big drip down the side of the car. That shit was ROCK HARD! It speaks well of the product, but I just spent 10-15 minutes polishing that drip off of the paintwork!

I was surprised at how much product it took (3 coats on the SUV + wheels used the whole bottle of MOHS). It went on SUPER easy though. Lay it on thin, let it flash off for 20 seconds or so and then quick buff it off (without working that hard to get a nice, shiny panel). It takes a ton of prep work to get to a perfect (or as perfect as possible for my 10 year old daily driver) surface, but I'm very happy with the result.

I'm doing the Syncro system, so (after I re-coat the panel that I just had to polish the drip off of and wait 24 hours) I still need to put a coat of Skyn (a very hydrophobic) sealant on the car, wait a day and then detail with the Cure spray-on product. before it's ready for use again.

I'm lucky that I've got an extra car (My wife's Audi, the R53 and the Volvo) in our 2 person house. The coatings take at least a couple of days to apply if you are going as fast as you can, given the cure time. It might not be a product for everyone. Apparently it can take up to a full week to cure (some streaking might happen if you get it wet before curing), so maybe I'll leave it in the garage for a week (it's nice and hot in there anyway... will bake it on nicely). Because I had so much polishing to do and don't have a ton of free time, the Volvo will have been off of the road for 3 weeks by the time I'm done.

7. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    #28 agranger, Aug 20, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    Wow! I switch out when I feel like the cutting action is degrading and I'm trying to compensate by using more product. I'm sure it would take more if I was working on a car that needed a lot of work, but most of my cars are well cared for, so I haven't done a heavy restoration in a long time. Usually I'm just doing a slight surface oxidation polishing, so one step does the trick. The Volvo was a bit heavy as I was probably 6 months overdue for my usual annual Zaino treatment and it is stored outdoors, and I only used 2 pads for the primary.

I had been using Sonas SFX 1, 2 and 3... a nice 3 stage polishing system. My bottles were a bit old and crusty though, but luckily for the Volvo, I had a decent bottle of their 'restore' product for the more aggressive stage of my work. The Sonas working time is a bit short, IMHO. Even when I'm working in the shade, I find myself wishing that I had a bit longer before having to re-apply polish.0

Maybe I'll give your Sonax a try. I feel no need to try and stick to the whole Gyeon line... as long as you are doing proper prep before applying the sealant, according to the manufacturer, there is no need to go crazy with an entire product line from one company. It was a bit of a PITA, but when I was using Zaino, after polishing, I'd re-wash the car to remove any residual oils/polishing dust and it was ready to go. Gyeon has their 'prep' spray which seems to do a very nice job.

My new package of MOHS arrived late yesterday and I've got coat #1 of 3 on the panel that had to be polished out from the drip. I should be able to pop out to the garage a few times today and maybe I can finish the process this week. It would be nice to get the MINI back in the garage where it belongs.

8. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    #29 agranger, Aug 20, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    I've been a Zaino (synthetic sealant... was the greatest thing some 20 years ago) guy since 2005. I'm 3 coats into the MOHS (a coat of Skin and Cure to go), but the one thing that I'm noticing is the lack of slickness on the fingers. After I got 2-3 coats of Zaino on the car, it would be so slick that you couldn't put the bottle of detail spray down on the hood as it would immediately slide off. The Gyeon Synchro system (so far) isn't nearly as slick. I really did like that feeling, so I'm hoping Skin helps out there.

I did have a couple of fat water drops that hit the car after I rolled up the garage door. They almost exploded when they hit the surface and flew down the car. Hydrophobicity is HUGE with Gyeon.

9. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    I got the "Skin" coat on yesterday and it added the slickness to the finish that I was missing. It's not as slick as my Zaino sealant, but it's much better than just MOHS. I'll go out for the "Cure" wipe-down today and then the car is officially "done." (other than letting it sit in the garage for another day or two). I'll post some pics soon.

10. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Ok its been a couple of weeks now. I have been leaving the Helmet out rain or shine. Last week the Helmet was filthy it had a ton of dust and crap on it. I sprayed it off with a hose before washing it, when I did the dirt just feel off! I almost didn't wash it it was so clean. That was just hosing it off. Yesterday it was pretty dirty but it rained this morning and it looks clean agin. If you get close you can see there is still some dirt, not much though.

So far this stuff is great. As advised by @Dave.0 I plan on doing my wheels and brake calipers

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Sonax make one of the best polishes on the market and I use it on every car I detail. I use a yellow Rupes pad for cut and polish. Or the same polish on a soft white pad for an ultra perfect polish.

It’s called
    Sonax Perfect Finish 4/6 250 ml.

And you can get a small tube on Autogeek which will be enough to do 3 full size cars or 5 MINI’s.

https://www.autogeek.net/sonax-car-polish-perfect-finish.html

12. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
  13. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I don’t like the smell of Sonax Full effects or Carpro Iron X wheel cleaners either.

You are 100% correct they remind me of the smell when my aunt or grandmother was visiting my mother and getting a permanent in our kitchen when I was a kid. I spent the whole day outside.

The best I have found with a mild smell is Dodo Juice Ferrous Dueller Iron Remover. I buy it 10 bottles at a time so I can keep it in stock for our personal cars and customers cars.

https://www.autogeek.net/dodo-juice-ferrous-dueller.html

14. Canusrufis

Canusrufis RMW Powered R53
    Lifetime Supporter

Nov 27, 2013
    Male
    Winston Salem NC
    Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    oh and the rim coat after track event is awesome! I pretty much sprayed the brake bits off with a stream of water. cleaned right up!

15. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I have found that the Gyeon brand compounds and polishes are not that good. I understand Gyeon wants you to use their “system” and products but one size does not fit all finishes. I like to pick & choose and test what I use nothing has push my “Go to” product from the top spot in a while.

My main “Go To” compound / Polish / Finish liquid is Sonax Perfect Finish. It is a Pro product.

https://www.esotericcarcare.com/sonax-perfect-finish/

Expensive? Yes, but what you can do with it covers so may other products it is worth the cost. 250 oz / 250 ml. 24,95

You can get a very good cut using it with a Rupes yellow pad and it will finish out great. If you want to go one step one switch to a soft Rupes White pad and it will finish like glass.

I also love using “The last cut”........works almost as well as Sonax above.

https://www.theragcompany.com/the-last-cut-compounding-glaze/

16. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Oh the most IMPORTANT THING. Keep your pads clean and switch them out when polishing any car.

Hood and maybe a top of a fender = 1 pad
    2 doors = 1 pad or 2
    Each bumper gets a new pad if hatchback
    Rear quarters = 1 pad
    Roof = 1 pad

I use about 5-8 pads per car, depending on car size.

MINI w/ sunroof = 6-7 pads

SUV = 8 plus

17. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    I didn't use Cure until about 3 weeks after I had coated my car. I used it agin last time I washed my car. So that was a little over a month between uses. I do like it but Dave is right its just maintenance. I have also found I like there Wet Coat. You can use it on coated and non coated cars, I believe @Dave.0 is the one that told me about it. I still have not had to use the Water Spot that came in the kit. I am not sure if I ever will. For that matter I am not sure what is is for. The one time it looked like I had water spots they were gone once i wiped down the car.

18. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

Wet coat is a great product also. It’s is so easy to use.

Water Spot is for when you wash your car and you don’t have time to dry it quickly and the sun bakes in hard water from rinsing and creates water spots. Or sprinkler water drys on a dark hot car in the sun.

To use water spot correctly you just spray a few shots in a MF towel and a small mist on the spotted panel and wipe until dry and hard water spots will be removed.

I bring Water Spot with me to the Dragon every year for when I wash my car and get distracted (drinking) and don’t dry my car as well as I usually do. :eek:

19. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Some say it does but I have not seen it personally. I only use a little squirt in a small area if I see a hard water spot.

20. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Awesome job Lee you car looks great.

That is about what I have left when I do two coats of Gyeon MOHS. Most times I use the rest on rims and trim.