1st Gen R53 Cooper S H-Sport vs TSW Ride Comfort

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by wzabrouski, Mar 23, 2010.

1. JCC

JCC New Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Installation Manager
    Sachse, Texas
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Reviving this thread, I got a set of H-Sports locally from a Metroplex MINI member. They have a lot of miles on them. I haven't installed them and I'm strongly considering not installing them after reading this. The person who gave them to me told me he didn't like them and that's why he took them off. He got them second hand and put some mileage on them himself. I am going to estimate they have 80k on them. I wanted TSW anyway and really want the TSW KW V1s which I can now get from Way, of course.

Thanks again!

2. wzabrouski

wzabrouski Active Member

May 5, 2009
    Executive Director
    Keller, TX
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    Swapped out my h-sports for jcw springs due to the tsw springs not being available and am very happy.

I would have to say avoid the h-sports. Especially with that many miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. JCC

JCC New Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Installation Manager
    Sachse, Texas
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks again!

4. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    #24 Firebro17, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
    I just placed my TSW order tonite! Can't wait until I can put 'em on next week...

5. Firebro17

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    OK so I just finished the suspension mods this past Saturday. Piece-a-cake! Thanks to some help from my race partner and shop buddys. I can really notice the difference in the car's handling. I did three seperate mods at one time so it's hard to know which one thing made the most difference. WTH, it doesn't really matter, does it......
    I went with the WMW/TSW springs, the H-Sport 19mm rear sway bar and the Madness under strut bar. Now that the weather has cleared I can get into the foothills and really see how the car goes. It oughta be a good time!

6. Mike

Mike New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hello from Tehachapi, Firebro17. Enjoy the drive on those new parts!

7. Firebro17

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Hey there Mike. Thanks... We'll be passing thru on our way to Vegas in May 18th. U going too? Also, I've got a great friend that works for Kern Co Fire who lives there in Tehachapi. Keep in touch via P/M...

8. brohammer619

brohammer619 New Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Do you have to cut the bumpstops with the TSW springs?

9. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
  10. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    Yes you cut the factory bumpstops. We are actually coming out with our own bumpstops soon, just need to get the manufacture price right.

11. brohammer619

brohammer619 New Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for answering, I'm having automotive connoisseur group in san diego order and install my springs, I assume they're in stock (as I haven't heard anything from them otherwise after they placed the order from Way). Can't wait to get them on in time for autocross. Should I just have them cut the factory ones in half? Is there any way they can call you guys for instructions?

12. andyroo

andyroo New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Sep 8, 2009
    water science and mapping, and suspesnion and brak
    Columbia, MD
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Does the dustboot fit on those? I have a set of aftermarket bumpstops that came with my used Konis but they are reeeeally firm and not very progressive. Hitting them would suck and I know with the super short travel of this car I would be hitting them or riding them. They look a little different then those h-sport ones. I have the OEM's on for now. With my mild drop springs (tein h-tech) I did not cut the bumpstops up front and it feels fine. I probably should have though.

- Andrew

13. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    No, the dust boot doesn't fit on the H-sport bump stops, they're pretty small in diameter. The stock bump stop is basically two sections, one half is solid and the other half flares out to hold the dust boot but is hollow. I cut the hollow part off and fit that around the H-sport poly bump stops, so the dust boot is sealed off and the poly bushing is contained within.

BTW, TSW's install instructions say to "cut the bump stop in half." I'm still not sure whether they mean to cut the hollow portion off from the solid portion, or whether you just cut the solid portion in half, which would leave it at about 66% of the original height. Using the H-sport bump stops meant I never had to answer that question, but I'm still not sure of the correct answer.

14. andyroo

andyroo New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Sep 8, 2009
    water science and mapping, and suspesnion and brak
    Columbia, MD
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    What i was going to do was to cut part of the firmer section off, so that there would still be the softer progression ramping up to a (shorter) firmer section.

- Andrew

15. david in germany

david in germany New Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I actually cut the softer portion off of my bumpstops when I installed my TSW's. Ride is great!

16. Firebro17

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    I must have missed the answer somewhere. Will the FSD's work with the TSW springs. And if so, the question asked was, will the FSD's raise the car's ride height?

17. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Yes, they'll work. PM BlimeyCabrio - he has TSW + FSD.

18. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Same here.........TSW V1 with FSD for over 4 yrs

I got no noticeable raise in height with mine.

19. Firebro17

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    The contention seems to be that the Koni will sustain valving damage when used in this application. As a result, if this does happen, Koni won't warranty the unit. So, it sounds like maybe the TSW springs may be ok then. But, I do remember Waylan stating, more than once, that this combination should not be done... I certainly respect all input, but as I'm sure you guessed, it all leads one to become more confused as the opinions are provided.

On a seperate note: How does your MINI ride with the FSDs and the TSW springs? What I don't want is for the car to be any stiffer or rough than it already is. I drive it daily and have to keep peace as I chauffeur the better half to points unknown.

Thanks for your guys' input.

20. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Well it is definitely stiffer than stock. On maintained roads it is a very nice setup, but any harsh surfaces will be a lot more noticeable. My wife is not a fan of the ride, but will take freeway trips with no problem.

Before I bought the springs and shocks I had some nice email exchanges with TSW about this very concern and they were very comfortable with recommending the FSD's as a damper with their spings. Looking back I probably should have gone with the Koni Yellows and had the option to soften them up for when the wife comes along.