Most liked posts in thread: Had an "interesting" thing happen to my MCS

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Was that price for the just the parts or was labor included?

MAG has outrageous parts pricing. When I pointed out MSRP on the overpriced parts they kept tossing at my car in order to fix the crank pulley they did a lot of backpedaling and adjusted them. One needs to research the parts price before OKing any work with MAG.

Fuel filter with fuel level sensor 16-14-6-765-124 MSRP $218.00
    Right Side Fuel Level Sensor 16-14-6-765-134 MSRP $99.72

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I can't see how a MINI with fuel in it is going to stop running. Unless the fuel pump is somehow fooled into believing there is no fuel to pump. Jeff did your MINI stop running or was it just the dead gauge?

Seems to me a work around would be to zero the trip odo at fill up & watch the miles. That is unless the MINI dies from a lack of the fuel gauge senders.

3. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Ran out of gas TWICE?????? Was the second time to be sure the first time was not a fluke? :lol::lol:

Jim

4. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Meh.. I usually can ride my cars till I see zeros on the range. A few times I've even driven where the range just had three dashes. This brings us to the second occurrence. I was about a mile and a quarter from the house with 3 miles on the range. Then all of a sudden it went to zero and the engine stopped running. But at least now I can end any argument on exactly how much gas the tank will hold. :cornut:

5. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Had that happen to me while still under warranty years ago. Happened again couple of weeks ago, but been fine thus far. $633 seems a bit much though.

6. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Those are made of solid gold & crafted by elves in the Bavarian woods. :rolleyes:

Jeff, thanks for the heads up. Hope it does not happen to my MINI. Was it the S or the Cooper?

7. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    It was the S. I'm just glad it has been fixed...has a 2-year warranty. I'm headed to Putnam Park the second week of Aug., so I am relieved...now. Imagine if it had happened over there....:(

8. Kikimowse

Kikimowse Active Member

Sep 18, 2010
    California
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Now this is an interesting thread. Let's compare dates and time...... My 2007 S Cabrio did the same thing on Monday. Freaked me out at first, since like all good trained gerbils we believe what the gauge tells us. After a moment or two I realized that the read out simply could not be true as I had filled up the prior Wednesday and had only driven a little over 25 miles since. Drove the car home and shut it off. Turned the ignition back on again and the needle returned to normal and the red light went out. Two days later it has not malfunctioned since. Could it be sun spots or aliens? The X-Files? :ihih:

9. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    I actually know for a fact that both times I experienced this, the outside temp was in the "damn hot" range.

10. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Exactly,. Last time this happened to me was right after I filled up for the trip. I then proceeded to drive 130 miles or so with no issues.

11. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    Labor was included. MAG DID credit me with the shipping price for the parts they ordered and BMW charged me [$14], but the big savings was that I was able to use one of those coupons they send out every now and then. They took $100 off the bill so I actually ended up paying a bit over $500, instead.

As I was about to leave, the mechanic came up and asked me what kind of gas I had put in the car and I replied, "Premium, 93 octane". He said it's the first time that Premium has ever burned his arm as he was draining a gas tank. His arm looked like raw meat.

12. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    My experience last Saturday was in the "damned hot" range, too, but on Tuesday, the car didn't do it again until after I had made the 70 mile trip to the dealer. I'm just glad it happened again with a rep present, so they wouldn't think I was "funnin" them.

13. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    I thought that, too, but MAG told me that the computer would eventually read the "no fuel" needle as the tank actually not having fuel and the engine would shut off because of the "no fuel" readings from the sensors. I also noticed that the mpg readout was at "0" when all this was happening. When I restarted the car for the trio to MAG on tuesday, all the gauges were back to normal. It was only after the car had made the trip to Dublin that the whole mess started all over again, and luckily for me, Amber was there to see it.

I can only imagine the concern and consternation I'd have gone through if I was on my way to Putnam Park and the engine shut down, because I usually drive back roads [US 36...which is nearly deserted] and only get onto I-70 for the last 70 miles or so.

14. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    I understand that, but, since I am not mechanical [don't have the knowledge to do a price scan for parts I know nothing about, anyway], and since I was perplexed at what was happening, and since MAG IS the dealer I go to for service, it just seemed like a wise decision on my part to go there. They have always repaired my MINIs [the MCS and the Cooper] and I have always been pleased with their service.

15. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Why did the gas burn the mechanic's arm? Was it a chemical burn or just a really hot day?

16. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, but that is wrong. Once again, speaking from experience (sadly), the computer will not shut the car down. I've ran out of gas twice and both times the engine shutdown because it was out of gas, not because the computer told it so.

17. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    How much is that?

18. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Largest Fuel Fill I have recorded is 14.772 gallons. Add another half gallon to a gallon from my emergency can that got me to the gas station.

19. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Rather then fill up BEFORE the gauge reaches empty, you prefer to carry an emergency can of gas? I'm not saying there is anything wrong with this approach, but would you share the thought process behind it please? :eek6:

Jim

20. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

No, I happen to have had the emergency can sitting in my garage from the first time I ran out of gas. Being only about a mile from home, I was able to walk there, get the can, walk back to the car... this does make me sound pretty ... strange?