Entertainment Electronics 2nd Gen Hands Free - Volume

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Justa Jim, Feb 12, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Just thought I'd pass this along in case it helps anyone. I installed the hands free device offered from "New Mini Stuff" in the UK. It allows all the buttons on the WFSW to work the same as the factory installed version.

With my first phone all was well, but when I switched to my Black Berry, I could not get the volume through the speakers to adjust loud enough for me (I have a bit of hearing loss). The other day I plugged a cable into the head phone jack on the phone and the AUX jack on the car. Everything still works the same, but I can turn the volume "way" up now. :Thumbsup:

Jim

2. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    What did the Hands-free device cost? I think it would be cool to have this work on my car too...
    And which kit did you get, there are a bunch of them - and what if you don't have an iPhone or iPod?
    How does it work with Android phones?

3. SNEEEZY - Erika

SNEEEZY - Erika M/A Wrenchin' Babe!
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    #3 SNEEEZY - Erika, Feb 13, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
    I purchased the Parrot EVO from NewMiniStuff.com way back in 2007.

Installed it myself AND didn't ruin my manicure, either. :cool:

It worked fantastically with my previous Bluetooth phones, but I haven't used it at all with my Android MyTouch 3G Slide, but only because I have some serious wind-noise issues that are finally being resolved (hopefully) this week.

With the original install, I had the mic wired up the DS A-pillar cover, which was "ok", but certainly could use improvement.

The opportunity for improvement came about after the 03/15/08 accident which is jokingly referred to as "The Sneezing Incident" (hence the nickname). The windshield was shattered and while awaiting replacement, I swapped the location of the sunroof control & microphone (the sunroof control is now on the PS and the microphone cover is on the DS). Worked like a charm but there was a lot of "noise" from the enclosed space between the headliner and roof, so I cut a small piece of temperfoam and carved out a nook to surround the microphone and eliminate the noise.

The insurance company authorized PPG windshield and while it looks nice, it doesn't have the same curvature or fit as OEM. The whistling is extremely annoying, so the insurance company is replacing the windshield with OEM & they're replacing all the A-pillars, molded inserts, clips, foam, and beltline that surround the windshield in the hopes that the whistling finally disappears.

We spent an entire week playing with painters' tape across the various seams and the only time all the whistling disappeared was when all the edges of the windshield and A-pillars (both sides of each A-pillar) were wrapped in the painters' tape.

Oh, wait...this thread was about the hands-free...sorry!

The installation was fun and took perhaps an hour. I ziptied the unit to just inside the left-side dash; the side dash cover comes off very easily and the unit fits perfectly.

I then ran the actual control onto the parcel shelf and that's where it has been ever since.

When I get Schultze back (hopefully at the end of the week, if not sooner) I will test to see if the Android MyTouch 3G Slide is compatible.

4. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Erika seems to have the same kit. It is based on the Parrot Evolution 3000. It has a special harness that plugs into the back of the radio which allows all the buttons to work, just like the factory installation. So far it has worked with every phone I have tried.

Now, the installation Erika did on her first generation is rather direct and not much trouble. On the second generation it is a bit more complex. The instructions are great and will walk you through it with no problem, but you do have to dismantle almost the complete dash and center stack. I installed the missing rear fog switch at the same time. All in all I think the entire thing took abut three hours.

My mike is on the top of the A Pillar and seems to be fine there. Great device and works as it is suppose to. :Thumbsup:

NewMINIStuff.com

Jim

5. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    My main goal was to get the switches on the steering wheel to work, I have an ersatz hands free device built into my Garmin - and it easily links up with my phone. Since my Garmin is semi-permanently mounted, I may just continue to use that.

6. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I have the same feature on my Garmin (also semi-permanently mounted) and planned to use it as a go around. I found it a real PITA to try and hit all the things on the Garmin I needed to in order to get the phone to work while driving. I bought this unit and never looked back.

Jim

7. david in germany

david in germany New Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    The secret to overcoming the low volume with the bluetooth is connect via bluetooth and then adjust the volume on the device to the reasonable level then adjust the bluetooth device (you may need to do it in a call).

8. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    That worked fine with my Motorola phone, but from what I have read, the Black Berry is famous for not producing high volume. Plan to try a Droid next and see if that works better. Can't qualify for an Iphone for another year.

Jim

9. 05r50

05r50 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +697 / 0 / -0
    voice dialing?

So can any of you tell me if voice dialing works on the ck3000?

I sent some emails to newministuff but I guess I wan't clear enough in my question as the reponse is not a yes or no.

Anyway, I have a 2005 cooper with stock head unit and the aux in jack.

I have an iphone 4 and a visor clip motorola BT unit. If I press the button on the BT then it activates the built in voice command on the phone and I can make calls or give ipod commands.

So, what I want to do is get a Parrot unit that will do that and the correct harness from newministuff so I can control it from the MFSW.

Reading info on newministuff it looks like voice dialing for the iphone is not able in the ck3000. I don't understand that. The CK has nothing to do with it since the command needs to be passed to the iphone. I figure if my cheapy motorola can do it then why not the ck unit.

Has anyone used a ck3000 with the MFSW harness and an iphone and got this to work?

Thanks much,

Jeff

10. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: I can't talk on the phone and give full and proper attention to my driving. Talking on the phone keeps me from enjoying the drive. I'm already multitasking in a 6spd manual transmission, road ahead/rear and both sides,traffic, aggressive drivers(more aggressive than me). I honestly don't know how y'all do it. I'd be in a wreck.:lol::Thumbsup:(of course as Dirty Harry Callahan said: "a man's gotta know his limitations.")

Jason:popcorn: