1st Gen R53 JCW Harman Kardon Head Unit: Dial Lights, Number Lights NOT Working

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by TATTRAT, Sep 24, 2020.

1. TATTRAT

TATTRAT Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Executive Chef
    NoVA/DC
    Ratings:
    +474 / 0 / -0
    Hoping that someone here may have some insight, or suggestions.

My head unit, the LCD display works just fine, however all the other lights on the unit are NOT. From the little ring around the power/volume knob, to the 1-6 buttons, none of that stuff is illuminated when my lights go on.

It only came to my attention when I say my buddies all lit up like a Christmas tree and I was like well crap, mine doesn't look like that?! Once I started thinking about it, I couldn't think if it has simply always been like that, or if it's recent...I don't do much night driving, so it's not something that was fast to fall on my radar.

The ONLY thing I have done to anything between the pillars is the Ian Cull auto-up circuit and an AUX cord for which I didn't even have to remove the head unit, simply did it from behind.

Any thoughts?

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    On my 2002 R53 all the buttons lit up. I would upgrade the radio anyway

3. Red Bull

Red Bull Active Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    I would check the illumination wire on the radio plug/harness to make sure it's getting power when the lights are turned on. The voltage amount might vary depending on the dash dimmer setting. If the wire has voltage, then something is probably wrong with the radio unless the dimming function to the radio is canbus controlled, which I doubt.

There's no HK specific radio so you can look for almost any 1st gen boost radio. The HK settings on the radio are "unlocked" by the amp. When looking for a radio, keep in mind 2002 radios were not aux capable. Also, sometime around 2005 MP3 CD playback was added if that matters to you. The radio should have a sticker with the production date you can check before purchase.

4. TATTRAT

Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Executive Chef
    NoVA/DC
    Ratings:
    +474 / 0 / -0

All great info, I'll get into it this weekend.

I should have stated it's an 06 so great tip on that! Thanks!

5. TATTRAT

Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Executive Chef
    NoVA/DC
    Ratings:
    +474 / 0 / -0
    #5 TATTRAT, Sep 25, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    MILLION dollar question: I've seen a few mentions of codes being needed? Do I need to do anything special to replace with a used factory receiver, or just plug and play?

***EDIT***

Hopefully, since it's a "newer" radio, I shouldn't need a code. I hope that's truly the case.