Hay bales fall from truck, hit MINI

Discussion in 'Weird MINI News' started by Nathan, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

April 5, 2013 FLEMINGTON — Hay bales fell from a truck today, hitting a Mini Cooper and South Main Street in front of Sun Bank, near the middle of three circles.

Borough police said that flat-bed truck driver Robert G. Michisk, 59, of Franklin Township, didn't immediately realize that some bales had fallen, but returned a short time later.

Police said that the falling bales damaged a 2010 Mini Cooper driven by Brian P. Vadimsky of Somerville.

The bales were moved to the side of the road and Michisk reloaded them in the bank parking lot after speaking with police and the driver of a Vadimsky, who was parked the same area.

It was reported that about 30 bales had tumbled off the truck. The bales were secured with a ratchet strap, police said. The accident happened shortly before noon.

Michisk was charged by Patrolman Brian McNally with driving with an expired registration and failing to properly secure a load.

Source - Hay bales fall from truck near Flemington circle and hit Mini Cooper | NJ.com

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    How do you not see a hay bale in the road or why are you tailgating a truck full of hay bales?

Mini owners fault, pay attention.

3. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    God how I love this country. All that dust makes me thirsty... :beer

4. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I wasn't there so I will not pass judgement. That being said when driving behind anything with a load held down with rope, bungee cords, or ratchet straps be very aware & careful. You never know what could fall on the road. Hope the MINI is repaired easily, glad no one was hurt.

5. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Yeah...
    When we do the runs in Amish country.... I'm always vigilant..... You just never know what you will happen upon cresting a hill at a spirited velocity....
    Them road apples are sneaky...

6. debscooper

debscooper New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Export/Food Service Sales Service
    annandale nj ~ OZ
    Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -0
    Texting is much more important to drivers in Jersey than paying attention . . Mini owner deserves to have his fob taken from him and should be driving a U-go. :(

7. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    Without more information, I wouldn't conclude that it was the MINI driver's fault. Even following the truck at a safe, conservative distance, it might be tough to avoid multiple bales falling off a truck (the news report said 30 bales).

8. docv

docv Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 30, 2009
    moble auto paint tech ( PTU )
    Central Missouri
    Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    The MINI driver could have been driving alongside the truck when the strap let go, would be a bad position for anyone to be in.

9. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    The MINI could have been sitting still in traffic as the truck passed it in the opposite direction, when the load decided to let loose...

Coulda... Woulda... Shoulda...

10. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    Around here the farmers are partial to the big, round bales. I hate it when they haul them around en masse, or if I have to pass one of these in the opposite direction on a two-lane highway.

Avoid 'em like the plague...

[​IMG]