Exterior 1st Gen Headlight Trim Rings - How to Wrap?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by minintrigue, Oct 28, 2012.

1. minintrigue

minintrigue Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Banker
    Cincinnati, OH
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    I supposed it was going to happen eventually, but when I was washing my car yesterday I noticed that my aestetic creations trim ring was missing a piece. I've had them for 4 years and I know they are no longer available, which is unfortunate. I removed the rest of it today, and the other side which is still complete, and man that double sided tape was a pita.

So now I need to get some that are wrapped in vinyl, but I can't find any photos or videos of the procedure. I have the xenon with washers, and I'd really prefer not to have to remove the headlamp if possible. Only because it could create another problem if I screw that up...so if anyone has a link or something, that would be great.

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    No idea on how to wrap them but I did change the subject to reflect the questions.

3. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Me neither ...but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night!!!

4. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Drop a note to Lyle at Vinyl Styles.....

5. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Here is a video showing how to do it right on the car (toward the end), but they are using Di-Noc. It seems to be easy to work with, but hard to find in colors other then Carbon Fiber.

Jim

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEQiQhm6n4g]3M Di-Noc.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

6. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I took off my AC covers and wrapped mine with black vinyl. I had no instructions I just ordered new trim rings, since they are cheap, a role of matte black vinyl, and used my heat gun and Exact-O knife. I just laid everything out and went for it.

The only instructions I can provide are cut a sheet larger then your rings and lay it face down on a towel with the glue side facing up. Next place your headlight ring face down press and lift it up and get the towel out of the way. This should get the inside edge covered and then when you flip it over you can cut an X in the center but not all the way too the inside edge. You will need the extra vinyl to lift, heat, stretch and apply.

After you get the inside edge part done you just need to lift, heat, stretch, apply, lift, heat, stretch, apply, lift, heat, stretch, apply until you have it perfect all the way around trimming as you go. After a little while you will get the hang of it.

If you have washers with your rings you will have to tuck and stretch in some tight areas near the washers but its not that hard. Just make sure you have enough vinyl to mess up and learn as you go. The only reason I got a second set of rings so I did not have to a rush job or drive around without rings on my lights. It takes the pressure off of getting the whole job done in one day.

If you take your time you will be a pro in no time. Post up pictures when you are done.

Good luck.

7. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I just did my dash and down tubes in carbon fiber Vinyl. The only thing I would add, is try to use 3M vinyl. The glue has small groves in it so air bubbles are not a problem.
    This was my first time to try a wrap and it turned out very good. I had to redo one part, so get plenty vinyl. just take your time its not too hard.
    Good luck.

8. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    I too highly recommend Lyle's work. I really liked my wrapped rings and grille surround!

Plus you can send out your old rings as cores AFTER your new stuff arrives!

9. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    What color/finish are you wanting?

I used a rattle can of black Plasti-dip on mine and it looks great. And it is easy to remove. No chipping and it looks like the rubber/plastic trim on the rest of the car.

10. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    I did the same as Dave O. Just take your time and it will come out great.

11. minsanity

minsanity Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    Dave pretty much summed it up well!:Thumbsup:
    I did mine w/ rings on though & people would bet they were painted. Opted for a lighter-than-DS 3M vinyl to have a lil contrast. Used the more forgiving wet method. Had enough vinyl for multiple trials.
    1. Cleaned my rings thoroughly.
    2. Measured & cut vinyl larger than the rings.
    3. Instead of an X cut in the middle, I cut out a smaller-than-ring oval in the middle of the vinyl. This allows you to stretch while working on the sticker.
    4. Wet both adhesive side of vinyl & ring.
    5. I worked from middle up & middle down. Pressed, stretched, heated, pressed, stretched, heated til good adhesion & ring outline were clearly achieved.
    6. W/ an exacto knife, I carefully cut outside of rings & slowly curved in the edges. Did same for the inner parts(lens side).
    7. I cut the washer right in the middle of the outline. It had enough to curve in on both ring & washer.

It was a lot simpler than I feared. It's been awhile & they're still good as new! Just make sure you don't scratch your paint, rings or lenses. Those are your only risks. Bubbles usually disappear after a while w/ vinyl, they're not worrisome.