Heartland Park, Topeka - Sept 1 Touring Laps

Discussion in 'Track Days & HPDE's' started by Minidave, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    For those who live in the center of the country, the road course at HPT opens up for street only cars one Wed a month to run what cha brung!

There are usually 4 sessions of 20 min each for Novice, Intermediate and Advanced drivers, and here's the best part - cost is only $65!

Requirements are straightforward, you must have good tires and brakes and a current Snell rated helmet (2005?). Your car must be street licensed and you'll be asked for your current insurance card too. That's it!

The track is fully staffed with corner workers, safety crews and ambulance. Passing is only by point-by, and only in one of three straight sections.

There are several track configurations, but we usually run the 2.1 mile setup, without the carousel. This track has decent elevation changes, off camber turns and lots of room, it's challenging and fun, and a real hoot in a MINI. It's also well maintained and smooth, in fact it was resurfacerd only a year or two ago.

Only 2 sessions left this season, so come on out and play with some of your MINI friends, we usually meet at the Legends at 1 pm for lunch (check the KC MINI club site for lunch location - http://forums.kcminiclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2210), then caravan up to the track. Tech opens at 3pm and the first cars hit the track after the driver's meeting at 4:15.

See ya there!

2. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Not looking too good for this tomorrow, right now they're calling for 80% chance of T-Storms and 1-2" of rain at the track...

This will be the 5th track day I've been rained out this summer - unbelievable. The worst part is I've lost all those days off, as they usually don't cancel the event till mid day of the event, so I'm already at home, loaded up, helmet, Scroth harness and camera installed, tank full and ready to go.

What are the odds that it would only rain on the one Wed a month they hold the event? About the same as lottery odds?

3. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    #3 Minidave, Sep 2, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
    I'm glad I didn't buy a lottery ticket.....:D

Weather was perfect - in Topeka - in KC it sucked completely! Amazing what 60 miles can do....

We weren't sure we were gonna get to go as it was raining when we met up for lunch, but a call from the track said that it was fine there, although the track was damp in a couple of places. So we motored on up and sure enough it was sunny, breezy and mid 70's - perfect! The wind was against up going up the front straight, but I was able to hit 105 - not bad for a bone stock Clubman S!

The turnout was a little light, but there were some cars there that made it feel almost like back in the day of the Trans Am - new version! A new Camaro, new Shelby Mustang and a new Challenger were all on track together!

There also was a gorgeous new Ferrai 458 Italia, man is that thing beautiful, and when you get up close it's even better - no wonder Jeremy Clarkson waxed poetic over it on Top Gear. I may have gotten one snippet of video of it as it passed me on the back straight, but I don't know yet, my camera malfunctioned on my first go and shut down on me mid run.

I'll upload the vids tonight when I get home from work - watch this space!

Oh, I found a link to a site of a photographer that was at the track...

http://2010.darylsphotos.com/p228976412

4. SimsClubman

SimsClubman New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 28, 2010
    Topeka, Kansas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Anyone know if this going to be going on again sometime in 2011? And dates?

5. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    The dates for 2011 Touring Laps have already been announced on HPT's website, and I'll be posting up some threads on the KC site as we get closer to the first event in April (the 11th, IIRC)

The KC Club's forum site is Kansas City MINI Enthusiasts • Index page and I usually post these events in the "grassroots Gatherings" section.

Welcome to the club!

6. SimsClubman

SimsClubman New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 28, 2010
    Topeka, Kansas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Dave, I got over to the KC site and made an account. If I get back home in time, I will definitely try to come out in April.