Brakes Wheels 1st Gen Tires Heat shielding brake shims

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by 00zero, Aug 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FUEGO

FUEGO Club Coordinator

May 4, 2009
    IT Geek
    DFW Texas
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    We have a local member who has a 2006 JCW and he autocrosses several times/month. On some of the longer and faster courses he used to boil his brake fluid a bit too often. He found these at the beginning of this year and worked with the vendor to get the sizing and shape correct for his JCW brakes. He has been quite happy with them and has yet to boil his brake fluid since. INSIJS YMMV.

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
  3. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Maybe one could be started as it is an amazing technical achievement!

4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Oh, good idea, opens it up to broader subject matter.

5. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Lynn--that is pretty much exactly how it was sitting there at the SAC museum. It amazes me that you could get your hands all over it, given how much technology is involved, and how classified some of that must be.

And there's no way that woman is your wife, that's obviously a paid stand in. Not only is she attractive, but she also looks from all perspective to be normal...:D

6. 00zero

00zero New Member

Oct 2, 2009
    Engineer
    Pittsburgh. Pa
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    the sr-71 is pretty crazy.

due to the effects thermal expansion has on the plane it literally leaks fuel on the ground, and once it takes of, it refuels in air and as the friction with the air heat up the skin it stops leaking.

it also uses those giant cones in front of the engines, they move in and out, to direct the high pressure area of the leading point to actually direct the compressed air into the the engine. sort of like boosting using the pressure wave off the leading edge at high speeds.

the design of the plane its self while revolutionary for the time is not longer secret. NASA was using them for a while for high altitude testing, i think they are all grounded now.

The effort that goes into these pieces of equipment is remarkable epically when you realize that the many of the plane in the us fleet are well past double their original expected service life. Good old USA made! :)

-Jonathan

7. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Especially amazing when one considers it's first flight was in 1964 meaning that the technology was developed in the very early 60s when thoughts of lap top computers were the stuff of science fiction fancy...

8. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Kelly Johnson really outdid him self when he designed this plane.

You won't find this in Wikipedia....
    It flies faster than Superman and made those characters in the Kremlin wet their pants.:D

9. beaner

beaner New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Since we are already so far off topic, the XB-70 is my favorite aircraft of all time. Mach 3 and 70,000 ft ceiling. First flew in '64 with similar old technology. The Balckbird is a close second.

10. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Fast indeed but no competition for the government claimed Mach 3.5 of the Blackbird, a claim that many believe to be grossly understated....

11. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    :Thumbsup:

:D

It is now sitting on its own pad alone at Beal AFB.
    There is also a retired U-2 as well. However it sits on a raised pad and hard to claim on.:lol:

As for Lourie thank you!.......We all have to have the normalcy in our life for balance!

:popcorn: and so much more.....

I have some pictures that that makes you go "what" as far as detail and workmanship. Let me say it is in the AF's tradition. Technology yes, quality showman ship(?), well it would never win any shows. :lol:

You have no idea. There are things that become declassified every year on it that the literature has not yet published.
    If you hang out at Beal on any given day you would be surprised at what fly's around....And that's all I am saying about that. ;)

Mark check this out

http://www.beale.af.mil/

U-2 Application
    Tue, Mar 31, 2009
    The demanding high-altitude reconnaissance mission of the U-2 program requires motivated aviators with a high degree of self-confidence, professionalism and excellent airmanship skills. The relatively small size of the entire U-2 community worldwide (less than 80 pilots) offers both unique opportunities and challenges. The abilities to work well with colleagues and master many different jobs and specialties represent highly desirable traits for the U-2 pilot. In short -- we're looking for a few good aviators who possess the extraordinary combination of outstanding flying skills, airmanship, officership, and use judgment as needed to conduct missions ordered by the National Command Authorities. These missions often place the U-2 pilot thousands of miles away from the nearest friendly recovery base with only his/her own wits to successfully complete the missionU-2 capabilities fall nothing short of extraordinary. Operational sorties average 8 to 11 hours in duration, exceed 70,000 ft and require the use of a full pressure suit/helmet ensemble. Current deployment locations allow for Ops missions at every corner of the globe and require the U-2 mission pilot to prepare for a large variety of tactical, as well as political scenarios. The U-2 Dragon Lady has played key -- often indispensable -- roles in many different conflicts and hot spots, from the early cold war to OEF/OIF. It's safe to say that at anytime day or night somewhere in the world the Dragon Lady stands watch on an operational mission.While flying the Dragon Lady is an experience that is both exciting and demanding, it's the landing phase that really gets the heart pumping. Undoubtedly, the U-2 represents the most challenging aircraft to land in the US Military. For this reason, prospective U-2 pilot applicants who are competitively chosen for the interview process must pass a demanding three-sortie profile in the two-seat U-2 to determine their suitability for training. The acceptance rate for those applicants who are even granted an interview runs at about 70%.Initial Qualification and Mission Qualification training for the U-2 lasts 9 to 11 months (depending on weather and airframe availability). This includes a checkout in the T-38, our companion trainer, as well as the Camaro and GTO chase cars. After graduating from the 1 Reconnaissance Squadron, the new U-2 pilot goes to work for the 99th RS who owns the mission of providing U-2 pilots for employment against worldwide reconnaissance taskings. The operative word here is 'worldwide'. A typical mission pilot spends 2 months out flying operational missions at one of the 9th Reconnaissance Wing's detachments around the world before rotating back home for two to three months of continuation training. TDY rates for the past 10 years have been as high as 240 days per year (due mainly to OEF/OIF) but currently run about 180-200 days per year for newer line pilots.The U-2 program continually seeks new applicants for this competitive selection process. Currently, about 38% of applicants become U-2 pilots. Those selected for the interview phase generally possess a strong flight evaluation history, strong OPR's, their wing commander's recommendation, and meet or exceed the minimum flying time requirements. As always, an applicant's breadth and depth of experience weigh heavily in the selection process. There are a wide variety of backgrounds in the U-2 pilot cadre, to include B-1, C-130, F-16, FAIPS, TPS graduates, B-52, EA-6B, A-10, KC-135, S-3, C-21, P-3, F-18, F-14, T-45, etc... Aviators from the Air National Guard or AF Reserves are encouraged to explore this extraordinary opportunity. If you're interested in performing a unique and demanding mission in a uniquely demanding aircraft, then the U-2 may be for you.
    Frequently Asked Questions:
    What's my first step if I'm considering the U-2 program?
    CALL US! DSN 368-4447. There's a lot of info you need to get from us, not from well meaning friends or commanders that think they know the real story on a U-2 assignment. Concerned about promotions, TDY, remotes, etc...? We'll tell you how it is. The info you get from your buddies is probably loaded with inaccuracies. So, pick up the phone and call us with your questions. It is not a bother; it's important that you have all the facts.
    When should I apply?
    You should call us about 12 months out, and we'd like to have your application in hand NLT 8 months prior to when you want to (or must) PCS. If you don't meet the min requirements, but are close, we will probably have you send it anyways. CALL US! We can begin to process your application and work with AFPC on getting a release for you to interview. You can always send us updates to the package when you get a new OPR, Form 8, etc...
    I'm a Navy/Marine/Coast Guard pilot and I want to pursue an Interservice Transfer (IST) to the USAF to fly the U-2. How do I proceed?
    First, you need to call the Air Force Personnel Center (AFPC; the equivalent of the Navy's BUPERS). They will tell you if you are eligible for an IST. For this, contact Mr. Clarence “CJ” Smith, via email at [email protected]; Subj: U-2 Applicant (your last name): They do not control U-2 assignments; they look purely at whether you meet the USAF's criteria for an IST. After you talk to AFPC, call us at DSN 368-4447.
    I'm a Reserve/Air National Guard pilot and I want to join the active duty USAF to fly the U-2. How do I proceed?
    Just like an IST candidate, you need to call the Air Force Personnel Center. They will tell you if you are eligible. Contact Mr Clarence “CJ” Smith,” via email at [email protected]; Subj: U-2 Applicant (your last name) . They do not control U-2 assignments; they look purely at whether you meet the USAF's criteria to switch to active duty. After you talk to AFPC, call me at DSN 368-4447.
    If I don't pass the interview, when can I reapply?
    If you accomplish the flying portion of the U-2 interview, but are not accepted into the U-2 program, we will not interview you again in the future. Basically, you get one shot. If you don't think you're ready, then give yourself some more time to gain more flying experience.
    How long is training?
    About 10 months. First, you spend about 3 months in processing and qualifying in the T-38. Then, you go through the 22 sortie U-2 syllabus, which includes Basic Qual and Mission Qual prior to your first deployment.
    What's the TDY rate?
    Currently, most new pilots are on the road for about 200 days per year. You are usually deployed for 60-75 days per trip. Our locations are the Middle East, Korea, and Cyprus.
    Are there any remotes?
    Yes, but only 6, and they are competitive: the positions are the CC, DO, and ADO in Korea; CC and DO in Cyprus, and CC and DO in the Desert.
    I didn't fly the T-38 in UPT. Can I still come fly the U-2?
    Absolutely! 50% of the U-2 pilot cadre did not fly the T-38 during UPT.
    How much will I fly?
    As a newly qualified U-2 pilot at Beale (i.e. between deployments), expect to fly the U-2 about once per week, and the T-38 about twice per week. On the road, you will fly an operational sortie each 4-6 days. These last 6-12 hours, depending on the mission.
    I did not complete a formal course of training due to deficiencies. Will I be considered?
    You need to call and discuss it with us to see if you have a reasonable chance of getting an interview. All circumstances are different, but this obviously makes it difficult to make the final cut.
    I'm an O-5. Can I still apply?
    Yes, however we hire very few O-5's. It depends on the current demographics of the pilot community, so call us first. As a general rule, we like to hire pilots with less than 14 years of commissioned service. Bottom line: call us.
    I'm passed over. Will I be considered?
    If you’re passed over, but not Active Duty USAF, you won’t be eligible to come onto active duty. If you’re an active duty Captain who is passed over to Major, it is unlikely we will consider your application. If you’re an active duty Major passed over to Lt Col, your chances are much higher that we will favorably consider your application. Call us.
    I was involved in a mishap. Do you need that information?
    Yes, we need a narrative on any class A, B, or C mishap you have been involved in.
    How does UAV time count toward total and PIC time for an application?
    UAV time will be considered on a case by case basis based on previous aircraft time and experience. Bottom Line, if you are interested: CALL US.
    When are the Application Review Boards?
    There are none! We will review your application as soon as it arrives and will notify you of our decision within a month.
    ---- Application Requirements ----
    Call U-2 Recruiting and Applications before you start the application process: Maj Chris Merten, DSN 368-4447 ([email protected]); or Lt Col Jon Huggins, DSN 368-3838 ( [email protected]).
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED*(Additional information will NOT be considered)
    • Letter of Recommendation from your Wing Commander or equivalent to 9RW/CC; in this letter, you MUST have your Wing CC list the earliest date you would be available to PCS, should you be selected for the U-2 assignment (See sample letter below).
    • Interview Package Synopsis (See example below)
    • Copies of all OPRs (Fitness Reports) and any AF Form 475 (Education/Training report) printed head-to-foot.
    • Copy of AF Form 942. Highlight all downgrades, discrepancies, re-training or failed evaluations in yellow, as well as commendables and OP's(Navy/Marine: attach a cover sheet listing all failed checklists).
    • Copy of all AF Form 8's to include reverse sides, printed head-to-foot. Highlight all downgrades, discrepancies, re-training or failed evaluations in yellow (Navy/Marine: NATOPS Evaluation Report, OPNAV 3710/7,2(Formerly OPNAV 3510/8)).
    • Flying History Report (Navy/Marine: photocopy from OPNAVFORM 3760-31, Aviators Flight Log Book, the following pages: "Qualifications and Achievements", and "Summary of Pilot Time by Month, Model, etc."; also submit CNATRA 1542/95, Naval Aviator Aviation Training Jacket (ATJ) Summary Card).
    • Official Photo in Service Dress (Torso shot, Color or Black & White, and size)
    • 1 Page Officer SURF (Navy/Marine: Page 2 / Master Brief Sheet)
    • Copy of your Airman Development Plan (ADP)
    • Letter from Flight Medicine listing your: Standing height; seated height; and buttocks-to-knee length. How to obtain these measurements can be found in AFPAM 48-133.
    Flying Requirements
    • Possesses at least 1200 rated hours, or 800 rated hours in T-6, T-37, T-38, T-45, or T-34, or 500 hours in fighters. “Rated hours” means we don’t want you including hours flown as a pilot training student.
    • Do NOT include pilot training time or civilian time when computing these total hours.
    • Possess at least 500 hours in fixed wing aircraft
    • Possess 12 months or 400 hours of pilot-in-command experience as pilot-in-command in primary mission aircraft
    • An SCI/SBI or capability to obtain one
    ---- SAMPLE LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION----
    MEMORANDUM FOR 9 RW/CC
    SUBJECT: Letter of Recommendation for Capt Joseph B. O'Doughnuts
    1. I fully support and give my highest recommendation for Capt O'Doughnuts' application to the U-2 Program.
    2. He is available to PCS as of .
    CC's Signature Block>
    Your Wing Commander letter may have additional comments. However, this format listed above is all that we need.

12. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0

Yeah.......
    Madonna ripped off some of the technology for her own use.:D
    [​IMG]

13. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Isn't she also parked on a pad somewhere??

14. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    We are done here....

Yes, I got the last word, and it's Nitromini's fault.