HelenBlitz...February 22-24, 2013 Helen, GA.

Discussion in 'HelenBlitz 2013 (February 22 - 24, 2013) Helen, GA' started by QWKSLVR, Sep 13, 2012.

1. QWKSLVR

QWKSLVR Club Coordinator

May 27, 2009
    rocket scientist; ok, so I'm NOT that..BRAIN surge
    Savannah Georgia
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    An annual Event taking place in the beautiful Mountains of North Georgia..located in the pristine village known as Alpine Helen !!! It's the 1st MINI Event of the Year..GREAT food!!! FUN Motoring!!!EXCELLENT shopping!!!
    Along with a Charity WE are so HONORED to be a part of..The Wounded Warrior Project!!!

***Spend the Weekend or stay a week; there is so much to do in Helen, Georgia and her surrounding communities!!!***

List of HelenBlitz Events:

..."Twisty" Mountain Road Runs
    ...Motoring to Dahlonega for LUNCH!!!
    ...Tour of the Habersham Winery
    ...Jumping Goat Coffee Roasters (excellent coffees and teas!!!)
    ...Nora Mill Granary, Inc. (Grist Mill and Country Store)
    ...Bigg Daddy's..where the FOOD is AMAZING!!! (within walking distance of the host hotel..Helendorf)
    ...Hofer's..where BREAKFAST is a MUST !!!
    ...Old Barvaria Inn is one of many serving authentic German cuisine!!!
    ...don't forget the ever popular Troll Tavern..located "under" the bridge (where else do Trolls live??!!??) walking distance from the Helendorf; host hotel!!!

2. tybeegirl

tybeegirl Member
    Supporting Member

May 8, 2012
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I hope I can make this event! Thank for posting.

3. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    I hope that with all the issues that WWP is having that Helenblitz organizers will find another organization that assists Wounded Warriors as I can not and will not support WWP ever again. They are hypocrites!!
    Also they receive a D rating in charitable organizations cause they spend 37% of the money that is donated on their self and that is ridiculous.

4. tybeegirl

tybeegirl Member
    Supporting Member

May 8, 2012
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I have supported the organization for several years but I agree their ratios are skewed. I prefer program expenditures of 75% or more.* This year I am going to direct those funds to Fisher House Foundation--98% of funds go to programs/2% administrative. That being said, there is no harm in participating in something that benefits the organization, because they do have worthwhile programs. In the future, perhaps the organizer of this event could review the charity choice--or not. If this is the one they choose--it's just like when someone raises funds for a bloated operation like the United Way--don't skip an event you would otherwise enjoy.:Thumbsup:

*Charity Navigator:
    http://tinyurl.com/25vmqro

5. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    I wil not support WWF at all, no matter what. I have heard from several vets that have been denied or blown off by WWF. they wil not gt my money sorry. I enjoyed Helenblitz this year but will not be there if they are giving the money to WWF.

6. maacodale

maacodale Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Maaco Collision Repair & Auto Painting Center owne
    Poquoson, VA
    Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    We tried supporting them as a cause for one of our events at Hampton Roads club MINI. They made it so difficult we gave up and donated the proceeds to the American Cancer Society. That's 2 grand that went to a good cause.

7. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
  8. ruffcat

ruffcat Club Coordinator

May 17, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Saw all the comments about WWP and definitely will look into that and will get back to everyone... promise !!! so here is the info about this years blitz.. will have a decision on the charity within a week!!!!
    So, here it is.. HelenBlitz 2013... February 22,23 and 24th 2013

Some new things... such as The auction that is on Saturday night will be in the pavilion at the Helendorf.. lots of space.. and dinner will be catered by Robert from The Old Bavarian Inn... where we normally have dinner friday night!!!! And the Friday night dinner will be held else where.. TBA!!!!! We will be having some fun runs on Saturday... the group picture at the winery.. special wines with our wine label.. tshirts will soon be available to order ahead.. we will have grill badges, goody bags.. and some other fun stuff!!!!
    Our host hotel is again the Helendorf..

Home | Helendorf Inn | Riverfront Family Accommodations in Helen, GA

Room prices are the same this year as last.. Standard rooms are $54.00 a night.. and $79 for the Riverside... and you can call and just book for Saturday night if thats all you want!!!!!

I will be posting more info as I come along with it!!! I am looking for leaders of runs!!!! And still for more donations for the auction.. this year will be even more organized as we have much more room.. I will be posting more info on the meal for saturday night, so we can solidify the banquet meal and price and get it all paid for!!!! woohoo this Blitz is going to be a blast!!!
    You can call anytime and book your rooms.. See you soon...

Any questions you can call me.. 719-459-6165 or email me [email protected] txt me at the number above which is the easiest way to get ahold of me.. Carol Thomas on Facebook or get ahold of Blucoopr Luther shields!!! Cannot wait to see everyone!

9. ruffcat

ruffcat Club Coordinator

May 17, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Talked to a few people, and we are going to stick with the Wounded Warrior Project. They were very happy to have our donation last year. With so many people in the mini community veterans, military.. it just still makes sense.
    If this offends of upsets some people, I can understand, it is your choice not to donate, I get that, but please don't use that as the reason not to attend the function. It's not all about donations.. this started out as an event for the love of the mini, and the people who own them.. and that has always been our mission, and will remain as such. So please come if you still think you can!!! You are more than welcome, and always will be!!! This event has never been about the money, its about community and family!! Hope to see you there!!!

10. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    We might come but won't be donating or buying at the auction cause they (WWP)have crossed a line that I cannot tolerate. When veterans call WWP suicide hotline and they say they don't have time for them, that is not acceptable.
    Probably wont make Helenblitz until WWP changes its ways or the organizers find another organization to donate the money too!
    WWP spends to much of the donations on overhead. There are a lot of other organizations that support veterans better than WWP!
    That is my opinion and if offends anyone, oh well. Do your research like Way said.
    Whatever money is raised I hope it doesn't take 7 months to get the money to the organization of choice like it did this year!

11. Sir Tyne

Sir Tyne Club Coordinator

Mar 21, 2010
    Vacation Cabin Rental Manager
    Smoky Mountains, North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Bev & I are looking forward to our first HelenBlitz. We hope to share in the MINI camaraderie.

12. orangeblast

orangeblast MINI of the Month - October 2010

Jul 11, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I suggested Feeding America last year.
    Is that even an option?

13. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    Looks like we are coming but won't be supporting WWP. A few reasons; one they only use 55% of raised money toward veterans, the rest is used on WWP overhead! Really! 2nd I had supported this organization for 3-4 years and recently found out that their executive director and others taken an anti-gun and ant-knife stance (anti-2nd Amendment) which I find extremely hypocritical due to the fact they will accept funds and events from companies and individuals who do stand behind the 2nd Amendment. After some additional resource, I also found out that they are NOT good stewards of the funds donated. Don't take my word, do your own due diligence! I am a veteran and I NO longer support this group due mainly to their hidden agenda (now revealed) and their willingness to undermine our heros sacrifices for their own benefit! God Bless veterans, we can do better for you!

14. ruffcat

ruffcat Club Coordinator

May 17, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    This is the 6th year of the Blitz, sorry you feel this way Rick, and if you don't come you will be missed, but as I posted, you are more than welcome to come to the event and not participate in the auction or any of the fund raising. As far as the funds were concerned, it took that long to get all of the money raised back from M2C2 to get it to them.. for that I had no control over that, then there was issues with getting people together to go and get it taken to them.. Unfortunately, no the money cannot go to another charity this year, as it is already registered on the WWPs national website, they are sending things for swag bags, and also advertising the event for us and other things. The old adage, we cannot please all the people some of the time, and we cannot please some of the people all of the time. I am not going to apologize fo the choice of charity. If you would like to participate on some of the decisions for next years Blitz believe me, I would love some help setting up this event. Its alot of work and very difficult for me to do when I live so far away, go to school more than full time, and work full time, and being a wife to an active duty soldier. I understand any frustration people may have with WWP, as with any program run by the gov't for soldiers and military it can be difficult at best.. but it is there to help. I can't defend or say I understand the situation you describe as I wasn't there, but it sounds like whoever called for help is still here, and for that I am thankful, as they were able to retell the story.. Please tell them thank you for their service, and may I thank you and your wife for her service. Hope to see you at the blitz to enjoy your mini comraderie, and just to enjoy the love of the car, and to enjoy the time of the people around you. If you feel you need more information, or care to discuss this more.. call me any time, my number is 719 459 6165. We are at Fort Carson, so we are 2 hours behind you!! Have a great day..

15. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    Well I don't understand why it took so long and as far as getting people together, we were given one date and that date conflicted with another event that had been planned for several months before the date for taking the money was given!
    We are probably coming but won't be donating.
    Trust me WWP has heard and will continue to hear about their stupidity of late from myself and many other veterans! Right now they suck!

16. ruffcat

ruffcat Club Coordinator

May 17, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    And please don't take this the wrong way.. the Helenblitz is not the forum for your stance or anyone else on the 2nd amendment thats not what this was or is or needs to be about.. its about mini coopers and the fun we have in them.. the auction is not mandatory , its all about fun and raising some money.. as an army wife it means alot to me.. the last 2 blitz my soldier was unable to unattend due to deployment.. so I get it. and understand your frustration..

17. ruffcat

ruffcat Club Coordinator

May 17, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Well its all good anyway, the money is there, they were so happy to receive it, I spoke to her the other day on the phone, and she was very happy. We organized the national advertisement and other things that needed to be done through WWP. The money will be donated thru the Colorado springs office as soon as we arrive back in Colorado this year, there is no afflilliation through a club this year so it will be easier... sorry for any confusion Rick if you have any questions like I said, call me.. msg me.. email me.. and I will be happy to answer any other questions.. hope to see you there.

18. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    #18 rum4, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
    But the 2nd amendment is and has been attacked by the organization that the money was donated too. They, WWP, brought that into to the conversation not me!
    We offered to help last year and were told no! I am an officer in M2C2 and it was not discussed or even promoted as an M2C2 event!

Those that are reading this please understand this is a great event!

19. COOPN

COOPN New Member

Nov 20, 2012
    Cosmetologist
    Kernersville, North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I plan on attending =)

20. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    We might make a day or two as we should have furniture arriving near that date so we should be back in NC.