2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Helix SSK

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by MDL8440, May 13, 2010.

Tags:
  1. MDL8440

MDL8440 New Member

Apr 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Has anyone here installed the Helix SSK or know of anyone that has. I was considering getting it as opposed to the Craven Speed kit as the price difference is huge but the reduction in shifting distance don't seem to be that different. Any suggestions out there?

2. WolfGTI

WolfGTI Active Member

May 21, 2009
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +217 / 0 / -0
    I've had it in my car for almost a year and 27000 miles - with no problems. :Thumbsup:

3. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    As far as I know (and please correct me if I'm wrong), the Helix kit reduces the throw but maintains the stock knob height, with zero adjustability. The Craven kit is infinitely adjustable, with a linear relationship between throw and height: as you lower the height, you shorten the throw.

4. Doggybags

Doggybags New Member

May 9, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Since you are posting this in the 2nd gen section, I am assuming you are talking about the SSK for the R55/56/57 right? Nevertheless it looks like the exact same designs from the R53, but I'm guessing in different sizes.

They are different designs altogether, the helix just extends the bottom of the existing shift lever by a couple of inches. The Craven speed replaces the complete shifter assembly and features adjustable throws, whereas the helix is not adjustable.

I've had the Helix on my R53 for a coupe of years and really love it, although I had growing pains during the initial installation, such as interference with the heat shield and exhaust resonator from an aftermarket exhaust. After I removed the resonator everything fell into place and works fantastic.

I do get significant heat transfer through the shift well due to the plastic cover that is removed from the bottom of the shifter box (applies to both designs), specifically when the windows are down or the sunroof is open. I've heard of several people that have the same side effect and I believe Nathan found a way to solve it, but I can't remember how.

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I had this same issue as well. The fix was to fabricate a new cover for the bottom of the shifter box that clears the new bit installed. The cover is very simple. We created it from sheet aluminum, folded up the edges and screwed it into place. I don't know the exact dimensions. Once in place we used some leftover dynamat from another project to protect the area from heat.