Hello and a question.

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by EpicDad, Feb 19, 2019.

1. EpicDad

EpicDad New Member

Feb 7, 2019
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    @MCS02 thanks for the long-winded explanation.

To be honest, I had a bit of a panic attack last night, contemplating swearing off the Cooper, but my wife (Bless her) convinced me otherwise.

Although the general consensus around seems to be to stay away from Gen2, I think I like the styling of the cabin too much. Maybe I'll regret it later, but only time will tell.

As far as mods. Eventually. I rallied for a bit last year. Long term, I would live to get a newer Mini (barring that for some reason, I hate it) and use the old one to rally in. If that happens, then yes, I will probably go mod crazy.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

2. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    #22 DneprDave, Feb 20, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    Really, the second generation MINIs with the N14 engine aren't bad at all. The key to a long lived N14 engine is to change the oil, every 5000 miles. Frequent oil changes will mitigate problems with the timing chain and tensioner, it is all about keeping the oil clean and topped up. A good CarFax will show how often the oil has been changed.
    The carbon should be cleaned from the intake valves every 50,000 miles. not doing so will not cause engine failure, but performance will be significantly reduced. What happens is that the oil mist from the PCV system builds up on the backs of the intake valves and cooks there and slowly chokes off the intake ports because it is not washed off by the fuel injectors as on a port injected engines, like the series one MINIs have. These MINIs are direct injected, the fuel injectors push the fuel directly into the cylinders, bypassing the intake ports and valves. If you already have a shop sized air compressor, you can buy the tools needed to walnut shell blast the intake ports for a couple of hundred dollars. There are shops that will clean your intakes for as low as $300.

If you have an automatic transmission, the fluid should be changed every 50,000 miles. The Aisin-Warner TF60SN transmission used in Mini Coopers is a solid transmission that is also used in Audis and Volkswagens, but it needs to have clean transmission fluid, the factory claims that it has "lifetime" fluid, this is nonsense.

The series two MINIs are lighter and quicker than the series one MINIs, they also get better mileage, I average around 30 mpg, without trying to maximise my fuel consumption. If I really try to take it easy, I can get as much as 36 mpg, but that isn't as much fun. What is fun is keeping my foot in it and squirreling around back roads, that will bring the mileage down to 23 mpg.

3. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    IT - Complex business systems in the cloud
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    When I ordered my car (2005 MINI Cooper S with manual transmission), the only options I ordered were sport seats, fog lights, and chrome mirror covers. When the car arrived, it came with the "Premium Package" and a few other things I did not order so the dealer did not charge me for them.

I got heated seats, Sport suspension +, sunroof, 17" S-lite (aka S-heavies) wheels and tires. And even though the rear fog light and switch panel were installed, the car was a Pre-November 2004 build so there was no wire between the light and the panel...go figure the politics involved in that.

So yes...heated seats were available for the facelifted R53 MINIs.

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Each generation is different. I would drive both the Gen1 and 2 cars to get an idea of what you like. My R53 and R58 are worlds apart but I love them both.They are a blast to drive. My wife doesn't let me drive her convertible, the only time I drove it was when I brought it home and put a bow on it. It was a birthday present, she deserved it.
    A R53 and R56 would be a better comparison. The R58 has a different setting position and the window has a different angel. The previous owner did a lot of mods to it. It is way faster than my R53 but I have not done as many mods to the R53.
    Don't be afraid to get what you want both gens are great cars. As I said take care to get a good one.
    The war between the gens can get heated, it just shows the passion the cars bring.

P.S. won't mod it......yea sure we all said that

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    @DneprDave did you block the PVC going to the intake?

6. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Yes, it was one of the first mods that I did. I left the pcv hose in place and blocked it off with a BSH Direct Dual Boost Tap. https://bshspeedshop.com/shop/shop/mini-cooper/bsh-mini-cooper-r56-direct-dual-boost-tap/

I used it as a signal source for my Boost/Vacuum gauge. I also installed a BSH oil catch can on the PCV line to the turbocharger intake. https://bshspeedshop.com/shop/shop/mini-cooper/bsh-mini-cooper-r56-competition-catch-can/

I am nearing 50,000 miles on my car, and I haven't felt any decrease in performance, due do carbon build up in the intake ports. I will take off my intake manifold this summer and check for carbon build up, but I suspect that there will be little or no deposits, as the PCV line I blocked off is the source for oil mist to the inlet ports and valves. I already have all the tools necessary to walnut blast the valves, if necessary.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. EpicDad

EpicDad New Member

Feb 7, 2019
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Hey, guys,

I found a great deal on a 2011 Clubman. (VIN - WMWZF3C54BT187871) It's a little more than I wanted to spend, but its almost too good to pass up. From what I can see, it has the N16 motor. How is this one in terms of reliability? Is it going to need the blasting like the N14?

8. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    No it should not need blasting. As far as I know it is reliable. But that is a non turbo car. It will not have near the same power a S version will have.

Have you driven a S vs a straight cooper? If not you need to before you make your decision.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. fishmonger

fishmonger Well-Known Member

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    Here is some R56/N14 Education for what you get when you buy cheap

This is a 19 part playlist. An R53 from 05/06 would be a about 12 part playlist if bought cheap in unknown condition :)

10. EpicDad

EpicDad New Member

Feb 7, 2019
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I knew it wasn't turbo.

I haven't had the chance to test drive yet, but I'd rather go for reliability over power. Plus from what I understand, the mpg is a bit better on non-turbo, presumably because your not having as much fun. It's also an automatic. So I'm not going to be having nearly as much fun as I would with it anyway.

Like I said, the price is pretty low. I got him down to 3600 out the door including fees, tag, ect. It has about 130,000 miles. This is the only thing that worries me. Seems like it's pretty high mileage for the year, but maybe someone just couldn't help themselves at long drives in it. Carfax is clean. I'm pretty sure the dealer partners with a repo agency so this may be why it got so cheap.

I'll be keeping a careful eye out when I go to see the car, but if it checks out and feels good, I think this is my car.

11. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I don't think the turbo cars are less reliable but the turbo is one more thing. I drove a R50 (non-supercharged first gen) before I bought my R53. I almost got it. It was fun to drive and was what I was looking for but decided to wait for an S. I cant tell you that to this day I am still glad I held out. Drive both before you pull the trigger. you may still want the Justa (non-turbo) but you will know for sure you made the right sedition and didn't settle.

Good luck

12. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    #32 wmwny, Feb 20, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2019
    I have a Gen 1, '03 Cooper. While it cannot compare speed or powerwise to our 2 MCSes, it has its own agility and is a blast to drive. It is so nimble and I would think that that will be the same for you and your non-S Countryman.

High miles on MINIs tends to show how durable they are. I remember going to a British car Day a few years back and meeting a guy with an '02 MCS which had 350k miles on the clock! So, 130k shoukld not deter you from buying that car.

13. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    My '07 MCS had 135K miles on it when I traded it in. It was still going strong last time I saw it. I was pro-active in my preventative maintenance. Replaced T-stat, water pump, belt, and a few other parts before they failed or caused something else to fail. Did my first walnut blasting at 100K and boy did it need it. With an N14 the first thing I would do is the BSH boost tap and OCC. I used one of the taps to activate a Forge BOV. And yeah, it's easy to catch the mod fever. When I traded for my F56 I had every intention of keeping it stock and just driving it. That lasted about a week. I'm trying my best to stay at the "lightly modded" stage. :D

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Lightly modded stage??? What are you talking about? I think you are pulling past that! :D

15. Rainman768

Rainman768 Active Member

May 3, 2012
    Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    In addition to the turbo the 2nd gen S has a high pressure fuel pump which has a shaky history. Both died at 119K on my clubman. That was quite a frightening bill. Fortunately, MINI USA extended the warranty on both to 120k so I was able to get reimbursed.

16. EpicDad

EpicDad New Member

Feb 7, 2019
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Wow, that was cutting it close. The one I'm looking at isn't turbo. The high pressure fuel pump is only on the S models?

I know there were extended warranties on the occupant sensor and the water pump, but it's already over the mileage for those.

17. colinmini

colinmini Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +584 / 0 / -0
    I have a 2005 non-S with 160k miles on it. Owned since new and very well taken care of. I also drive this MINI as hard as I can! 8000+ miles at redline on the Dragon, 50-60 track days and always among the fastest lap times....not down the straights, but hold my own. Non-S’s can be driven quick.

Now, why are the used MINIs used? Were they taken care of? These are the hard questions I’ve have. I’ve seen many, many owners of used MINI S’s experience problems, very expensive problems(especially with the N14 engines $5000-$10,000!). Non-S’s tend to be owned by less aggressive drivers, less performance modded and generally a better fun car, while maybe not the fastest. Find someone local who has a MINI or better yet is a MINI shop to check out any car before buying.

I absolutely love my MINI R50 and the MINI community. Find a good car and enjoy the drive!

18. Rainman768

Rainman768 Active Member

May 3, 2012
    Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    Correct, the HPFP is on the Cooper S only.

19. EpicDad

EpicDad New Member

Feb 7, 2019
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    So, I went out to see the Clubman today. The guy seemed really shady and gave a bad vibe to begin with. Unfortunately, the car was in worse condition than I had expected. Oil looked pretty old, mismatched tires, a lot of little dings that the pictures didn't show, and the third passenger door wouldn't open. I ended up walking away from it, but I did enjoy a test drive.

During the drive, the steering seemed a little stiff like the wheel wanted to jump back to center. Is this normal for Coopers? It didn't seem bad, just a little stiffer than I'm used to. As a reminder it was a 2011 Clubman.

Another question, in the attached picture, what kind of engine does this look like? I don't recognize it. It's a 2005.[​IMG]

20. Rainman768

Rainman768 Active Member

May 3, 2012
    Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    I guess it depends on how strong the "jump" was but it's more than likely normal. They are a little stiffer than your typical grocery getter. At least in the Cooper S it is. Also, the steering is even stiffer in our 2011 than it was in our 2009.