1st Gen R53 Cooper S HELP!! I lost 6th Gear

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by GreekDrifter91, Feb 22, 2013.

Tags:
  1. GreekDrifter91

GreekDrifter91 New Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    just today i went to go into 6th and it would not go in i let out the clutch and it just loosely grinds. like its jut kicking the gear it wont catch. all day it was fine. don know whats up... 5th gear will be sketchy some times; sometimes i have to try twice to get it to catch. but it goes in with no fuss. other than that the 5th 6th gear plane feels weird going into like pushing the lever right has been limited or something.

also lately the gear shifts have been weird like its really clicky no noise or and extra force needed just going in and out of each gear it like it has a biger notch it has to jump over or something.

anyway i am really hoping its just the cables and that they can be adjusted. i really really hope this is true, because i do not want to drop the tranny.

any ideas?

2. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    The cables are not adjustable, you'll have to replace them if one has failed. Also, sometimes the post that the cable attaches to at the transmission comes loose.

My guess is that it's a cable problem, however I don't know if 5th and 6th use the same shift fork, if so you could have an internal transmission problem, a cracked or broken shift fork could do what you describe too.

More information about your car could help too.....IE: Cooper, Cooper S, what year, how many miles etc.

3. GreekDrifter91

Aug 12, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ok, i will check the post though. but worn/ broken cables was my first guess and what the book recommends to check too. but i really hope its nothing internal.

also on another forum while searching for this problem someone said there is a mod that can be done to the levers? any idea what this is. the thread was 3 years old so i didnt bother ask.

4. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    No idea unless he was talking about a short shift kit or something. If you want one of those, that's the time to install it while you have it apart for new cables. Even tho only one cable might be bad, replace them both if you're going to do anything.

If the shifter post is loose, you can remove that piece of the linkage and weld the back side where the post is swedged into the hole and it will be good to go.

You didn't say what year, model or miles you car has.....

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
  6. GreekDrifter91

Aug 12, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    2002 R53 135k miles, yea i have a helix short shifter i have and have been waiting to put it on when i do the exhaust because i did want to do this procedure multiple times.

no i dont have a problem with the cold. but i am changing the oil while im at it just got two bottles of redline and im gonna change it on sunday when i poke around to see whats up. will check that post though and how the cables are holding up

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
  8. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Greek Drifter....
    In Nathan's post he has two pictures showing the shift lever that the cables are attached to.... Sometimes the pin that attaches to the shift cable can become loose....

Check to see if your pin moves and is loose.... If so, get it welded as an easy fix...

[​IMG]

Oh.... And stop Drifting your MINI..... Not good for the transmission....:eek:

9. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    To change the cables you have to drop the center part of the exhaust and all the undercar shielding, so that's the perfect time to install your short shifter.

Metalman's pic is exactly what I was talking about on the post.

10. GreekDrifter91

Aug 12, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yea i saw those pics i will check them out. i wont have time to till sunday. worked all day today and i have a 12hr work day tomorrow.

the mini is not my only car i have fun with, i have a rx7 too ;)

yup, new that all ready thats why i was gonna wait till when i got an exhaust to do it hahaha

11. GreekDrifter91

Aug 12, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    so poke around a little today. cables and posts are fine. its 100% internal....

very likely its the 6th gear syncro or a retaining clip jumped out of its groove and now the gear just floats around the shaft.

also changed the oil shifting is heck of a lot nicer now.

12. GreekDrifter91

Aug 12, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    oh also would like to add that i can put it in 6th from a dead stop and get it rolling and cant get it in gear when the car is in motion so its a synco most likely but why 6th it dosent make sense to me that take no abuse what so ever.

13. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I'd agree, a 6th gear failure is unusual.

So are you going to pull it out and fix it, or take it somewhere?

If you do the work, please take some pics and show us what you found, OK?

14. GreekDrifter91

Aug 12, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yea, im gonna do it my self. not the first time ;) i did go l0oking around for quotes, one guy tells my 3500.00 to do a new used trans with new clutch, master and slave cylinders(which i dont need) and to change my belt. when i heard that i was like F' that in my head. tranys at the yards are all like 1500-2000 which is also crazy.

he also told me that the 2002's have a different gear box than all the rest of the R53s because its when they first started and just put whatever they had and slapped a gearbox together. he tells me the output shafts are diffrent sizes on the 02's than 03 and up. dont know if this is true or not, but i can believe it.

15. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    I thought the transmission ratio change was made with the '05 models. With that the '02 through '04 had a long second gear.

16. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    02 to early 05's have a long 1st and 2nd gear.....

I don't know about output shafts being different, but I don't think so...I just did a clutch in an early '02 and I didn't see anything unusual about it, but I don't work on nearly as many as the pros like Way do, they're the ones to ask.

So, you gonna tear this one down and fix it, or buy one out of the yard and replace it? If so, a late '05 or '06 is a more friendly box to drive.

You should probably put a new clutch in it while you have it out, a Valeo flywheel and clutch assy is about half the cost of OEM and eliminates the dual mass flywheel and "Chewbacca" noise permanently. The owner of the '02 that I put one in recently LOVES it compared to the OEM.

You should at least take a peek at it internally, I have seen shift forks break, and they're relatively inexpensive and easy to fix. The rest of the box might be fine.....

17. GreekDrifter91

Aug 12, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yea i am going to tear the box apart, and see whats up. i will shoot way a message see what he says, about the shafts and gearing. i dont really see a problem with 1st and 2nd but i havent driven another r53 with the diffrent trans, to see and feel the diffrence.

and yes im gonna change the clutch. at this point i might as well just do a complete engine over haul too. freshin it up a bit. almost at 135k miles so why not. but we'll see. how i feel. hahaha prob send the SC out to get rebuilt too.

it would make my mini new again, im really happy with it the body/parts/frame etc.. are in really good shape and have really no rust on it. even with this many miles on it.

im no stranger to engine and trany complete rebuilds, i have done a few. just though i would bring it to a garage because i dont want to deal with the cold and it being wet out this time of year. but im gonna hold off till it get warmer out and dryer ;)

18. GreekDrifter91

Aug 12, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  19. GreekDrifter91

Aug 12, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well Found my problem! now lets hope i can fix it.

this is the selector for the 5th/6th fork and as you can see it is broken i found the broken part on the magnet. now all that's left to do is find a replacement or have a machine shop weld on material and cut it down. or have them make me a brand new part.

as i was playing with it to watch what was going on with the cover off the finger would go into the slot but when you went to turn the relay shaft it would just slide right out of the slot, so that's why i could not select 6th and why 5th would be troublesome some times.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Good find, let us know if you can buy the part from Ford or if you have to have it made, OK?