Question Help--is my car past the point of no return?

Discussion in '"How Do I"' started by Marina Rheault Post, Dec 29, 2021.

1. Marina Rheault Post

Marina Rheault Post New Member

Dec 29, 2021
    Female
    artist, landscaper
    Chicago
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    HELP!!! My beloved Kitt3n (mini cooper s hardtop 2013) in the shop (Mini dealer) and they tell me I need a new clutch and assorted other parts (starter included) totalling $10,000. the car is worth between $10-11K. Do I get an independent work up? Is it worth fixing or will more begin to crumble? Should I get a new car? Get a used car? Fix her up and trade in/sell independently?

Ideas?

2. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,967 / 6 / -5
    My quick thought would be what mileage and condition is the car in ?? Did you take it to the dealer because you were having problems ?? By all means if there is a reputable independent repair shop in your area I would get an estimate for repairs needed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,967 / 6 / -5
    Oh and welcome to Motoring Alliance.

4. Marina Rheault Post

Dec 29, 2021
    Female
    artist, landscaper
    Chicago
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the welcome! This is what the dealer proposed:
    Starter has internal malfunction $1350
    Passenger side axel seal leaking trans fluid $515
    Valve cover gasket leaking w/ spark plugs $620
    Crank pulley seal leaking oil replace with engine drive belt $650
    Front brakes (sever rust on rotors) $780
    Right rear tail lamp out as well as right front arch lamp $140 (may need tail lamp assembly $375)
    Third brake lamp malfunction $250
    Coolant flush (every four years ) $190
    Oil change $80
    Fuel service $200
    Alignment $180
    Wipers $45
    Right front sway bar link $190

AND NOW...
    Clutch replacement with parts ($2500 + tax) and labor(11.5 hrs at $165 - $1897.50) total $4500
    Gear shift $875
    if gear shift cables are needed $825

5. checkers

checkers Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Male
    retired
    Modesto, Ca
    Ratings:
    +1,140 / 0 / -1
    How many miles on tour car and do you like to drive it?

6. Marina Rheault Post

Dec 29, 2021
    Female
    artist, landscaper
    Chicago
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The car was not starting which is why I had it towed. Electricals were working, but not starting.
    Dealer says the car is not driveable even with the starter replaced.

65K more or less, I love this car.
    Looking at https://ecstuning.com/ I realize that the dealer is basically doubling the price on all parts which is despicable--I shouldn't have had it towed there--my bad. A friend recommends Bimmer Werks on Montrose (I'm in Chicago)--maybe have it towed (again) and ask them to work on it.

7. checkers

checkers Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Male
    retired
    Modesto, Ca
    Ratings:
    +1,140 / 0 / -1
    You have to decide if the car is worth it to you or do you prefer to have a car payment. These car require servicing and with all that needs to be done on your car it sounds like you have neglected yours. I have a 2005 MCS that a got new and have spent a lot on but I plan on never selling it , but that's just me.

8. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,869 / 10 / -3
    #8 MCS02, Dec 29, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
    @Marina Rheault Post A clutch should last much longer than 65k. My 2002 Mini had about 160k on it before I replaced the clutch and thats with 4 kids learning to drive with that car. Rust on the brake rotors? they get rusty after a day of sitting. unless your mini sat for months that rest will be gone after hitting the brakes once or twice. Was the car sitting for an extended period of time?
    It sounds to me like they are trying to get as much from you as they can. How was the car running before the starter went out? I would have the indy shop look at it. By the way if they cant start the car how in the world do they know the clutch it bad. You have to ether drive it to know or take the transmission out and look at the clutch plate. I think I call BS on that one unless they pushed it off and drove it. ECS in a word sucks! I will leave it at that.
    These are the good people to buy parts from.
    https://www.outmotoring.com
    https://www.detroittuned.com

To bad you cant get your Mini to Detroit Tuned. Chad is one of the best Mini mechanics in the US.

I say for sure take the car to the other shop and see what they say.

As far as getting a new car that depends. This is the worst posable time to be buying a car. The prices of cars are sky high. Like others have said what shape is your car in, if its is a very nice car and you like it fix it. Worse case you spend 10k on it, what are you going to get for 10k? In this market not much unless you take your time and are very shroud.

Welcome to MA

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,967 / 6 / -5
    Good luck with the repairs and let us know how everything turns out.

10. Marina Rheault Post

Dec 29, 2021
    Female
    artist, landscaper
    Chicago
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks @MCS02 ! All of this is very helpful. I'll check out your parts sites. Interestingly, when I called BS on the dealer and how high their prices were they offered to repair the car at a discount and use parts I supply--
    Still working through the deets. Will follow up with y'all. Thanks for the support. I ADORE my car.

11. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    Welcome to M/A!

I have 3 "new" MINIs. One is an '03 R50 and the other 2 are '06 MCSes. All 3 have had mechanical problems over the years, which I have had repaired. I love my cars and will not get rid of them even though I am heading towards my 80s in 5 more years, God willing. Of the 3, I bought one of the MCSes right off the lot NEW, and have had few problems with it, even though it is modded and has been driven to the Dragon as well as with BMWCCA on various tracks. My wife's car is the other MCS and is pretty much bone stock. I bought it used and it has had a lot of problems but was repaired correctly and still makes her happy driving it. I bought my R50 less than a year after it was sold new. It had the worst transmission BMW ever made, a CVT. It lasted around 60,000 miles before it gave out and I replaced it with a remanufactured CVT, because BMW does not manufacture them anymore. Even though it was nearly $7,000 to replace it, the remanufactured one is even better than the first one and is going strong with no hiccups at all. It now has over 95k and I expect it to go well into the 100,000s.

The bottom line for me was to get my cars repaired at reputable shops...ones that can be trusted. That's the advice I'd give you. I'd go with detroittuned.com or that shop in Montrose. and, listen to MCS02...a good guy, trustworthy and knowledgeable.

12. Ernesto

Ernesto Club Coordinator

May 16, 2009
    Oracle DBA
    Skokie Ill
    Ratings:
    +642 / 0 / -0
    What everyone else said..
    The dealers dont always offer the best deals on service, and possibly some of that work can be deferred to help spread out costs.

My local guy for many years has been Import Service Center in Glenview, but if your car isnt running it will be tough to get it anywhere for additional estimates.

13. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    I haven't posted on this forum in a looong time but your question has raised my ire. Thank the dealership for their efforts, get your dear Kitten (couldn't find that character on my ascii table) out of that shop and find a reliable German motor independent shop in your area, I'm sure whatever needs done can be less than that and some of that they claim may not need done. Other MINI people where you live can point you in the right direction. Dealerships make their living on finding things to replace whether or not they need replaced.

14. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Most of those prices look spot-on for what I'd expect from the dealership (but probably 30-40% high for what a quality, independent shop should charge).

Detroit is a long way away, but Chicago should have some shops that know their way around MINIs. Go find your local club (they should have their own website or at least a facebook group) and ask for some recommendations of good wrenches. It will be worth the towing fee to have the car taken to a quality, independent shop (and they can probably quote you a new price based on the list you have, above).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    [QUOTEif gear shift cables are needed $825[/QUOTE]
    Made me go look. I had shifter cables replaced just this year (at near 140K miles) at just a hair over half of what they quoted you. My guy had it done in about an hour and a half with no book and it was the 1st one he'd ever done. Luckily, it broke with the box in 3rd gear. With some delicate clutch and throttle modulation I could get my little guy moving then drive to the shop.

16. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    #16 Metalman, Dec 31, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
    Uhaul Tow Dolly, and Detroit Tuned here I come...

[​IMG]
    Insert image of appropriate MINI....

Screen Shot 2021-12-31 at 7.35.28 PM.png

17. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    Hmmmm...that "might" be a tad difficult for her if her S IS the vehicle that would be on the tow dolly...especially if her S is her only car...........................:Devilish:

18. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Perhaps she has a biker friend.....

Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 8.09.31 PM.png

19. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    If so, let's hope that friend has adequate snow tires for that trip....:Cigar:

20. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0