Electronics MINI 1st Gen R50 Cooper Convertible Help p2096 code

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by Robert gualano, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Robert gualano

Robert gualano New Member

Mar 27, 2020
    Male
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hello I have a 2005 MINI Coupe convertible 1.6 the problem I'm having is I have a p2096 code and I am told you need a big expensive scanner to get rid of this code there's nothing wrong with my car I tried everything and the funny thing is you don't even have to run it it's there as soon as you turn the key on you can clear it with a scanner just a regular scanner and soon as you turn the key on it pending turn the key off turn the key on and the codes back that is with saying you never started the car can you please help

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Your 2096 code is stored in the ROM in the ECU. It is a hard code that cannot be cleared with any cheap scanner. If you do not buy a $200.00 BavTech cable and hook it up to a PC and the ODB2 port you will need to go to a dealership.

most dealerships will clear the code for a half hour of time with BMW / MINI software.

3. Robert gualano

Mar 27, 2020
    Male
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The only thing I don't understand is my friend tried it with his $10,000 Snap-on one and still same thing cleared the code turn the key on don't start the car turn the key off Macon there it is again again without starting car so you think that if I bring it to the dealer they can clear it and it will stay off reflash the computer

4. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

The snap-on tool (modiis) does not have the BMW / MINI propriety owned software loaded to clear the hard codes in the ROM of the ECU. They can only read and clear soft codes.

This is very common for Euro cars.

5. Robert gualano

Mar 27, 2020
    Male
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Okay buddy thank you very very much appreciate the information stay safe

6. Robert gualano

Mar 27, 2020
    Male
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hey buddy I just read your last message so are you saying bottom line I have to go to the dealer basically to get them to take care of this problem cuz that code 2096 I think I know what originally caused it it happened after I put the new exhaust system on I got a couple little leaks that I got to tighten up but I still should be able to clear it write and skip the light off give it a chance to run before it comes back on like I said it's weird cuz it just comes on without starting the car but if you think going to the dealer and they can take care of it hopefully not rape me then I'll just bring it there

7. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Yes, your leaky exhaust caused the hard code error that you cannot clear.