Announcement Help Wanted!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MCS02, Dec 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    The migration is mostly complete. @Sully has a few more things to do but not much. The migration broke links and this moved us down on Googles searches, this and people trying to get use to the new platform has slowed traffic down. This platform is much better than what we had. I know it takes some getting use to but once you learn it, you will like it. If you have questions start a conversation with @Sully or I @MCS02 and we will help.

I have been watching the traffic and there is a good bit of people that come by and read articles and threads. Both members and guest. If you are one of them how about posting something, join in on the conversation.

For our old members that have stopped posting and only lurk from time to time, join back in! I know some have their reasons but MA has changed more than just the look.

Gen 2
    There have been a lot of Gen 2 questions asked by new people. We could really use some help from some of you old time Gen 2 guys! I won't names names but I know your out there still so if you stop by and see this please think about lending a hand with these questions. I know I have a couple Gen 2 cars now but I am still learning the Gen 2 cars. Most of my knowledge is Gen 1.

Gen 3
    We have little to no Gen 3 activity here. @Sully and I would like to change that. I can only think of 3 Gen 3 guys on here right now. It would be really nice if we could get some Gen 3 builds going.

Gen 1
    We have been mostly a Gen 1 group for a long time. All you Gen 1 guys keep posting. There is a great wealth of Gen 1 knowledge here so if your new and have a Gen 1 Mini, ask away!

The future,
    Mini has changed a lot from when it first came to the U.S. This has been debated at nauseam! It doesn't matter we can't change it. What we can do is to foster that great Mini community that started so long ago. When I was look at getting another car a little more than a year ago I was concerting two brands. Mini, a GP 1 or The Helmet, and a Fiat Abarth 124 spider. The Abarth would take me back to some deep roots. My wife knew this and encouraged getting the Abarth. I had already checked on modding it to a little over 200Hp. In the end the Helmet is what I went with. Part of that decision was the Mini community. That is what we can control. Lets make this a fun place to get answers, watch builds, chat with friends and get together at events.

Motoring Alliance needs everyones help.

Lee

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  2. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    Lee, you'll get my quips from time to time, but as for knowledgeable help from me...ummm, let's just stay with my quips.

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    :Cigar:

4. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    Very good points Lee. The site is great the way it is, but some new ideas and greater participation can do nothing but help.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    And I won’t ruff up the new guys with the 2nd and (OMG) 3rd gens. :cool::D

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    It would be fun to get more Gen 2 and Gen 3 folks here.. especially ones who are going to tune and build. Once I get through some more of the migration stuff...and getting the engine back into Humpty (Granted that isn't a MINI.) I will be working on tuning mine more...

More things will be coming to continue to update the platform including moving to the next generation which will add even more functionality. :D

Good stuff.. :Thumbsup:

I hope everyone has a great New Years!

7. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    #7 N2MINI, Jan 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    This has gone how a lot of us 1st Gen owners thought it would. With each new Gen the car doesn't have the same appeal / cult following so to speak. Not saying the newer Gens aren't fun, great handling cars, etc etc.( and do get better MPG ) but with the car getting bigger and bigger it now appeals to more folks who just think it is a cute, fun, easy to park car. Yet can haul the kids better then the 1st Gen cars... Those people aren't car forum people.. Small percentage will come and go as they have a problem they are looking for answers on. Every car forum has those people..
    Also as some of the 1 Gen owners move on to a new car they haven't liked the new Gen's as much and just move on to a different brand. Sadly MINI doesn't care as they are selling more cars every year I guess so they don't care who is buying as long as someone is... There have been quite a few people on here to buy the new model as they get a new car, it's just not enough to keep the new Gen threads alive as much as the 1st Gen. Also helps with the 1 Gens getting older they are cheaper to buy and play with...
    I don't do facebook but alot of people do apparently and has almost stopped people from posting on some car forums typical website. RMW, and Tar Heel MINI to name a couple... Not sure how this sites FB page does traffic wise.
    I know this doesn't help with ideas to get more people posting in the newer Gen threads but I bet every MINI forum is having the same problem.

8. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Well said @N2MINI, I totally agree. If you look at NAM they have high traffic still. I would be nice to get back some of the people that have stoped posting. I know there are some Gen2 guys that still have their cars and have a wealth but don't post anymore. I would love to get them back, most of our Gen2 questions don't get good answers anymore.

9. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Lots of vendors post / parts whore for sales on NAM.

10. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    When I’m in Europe on business I do see quite a few modified Gen 2 and Gen 3. There is even a place (forgot the name) that buys them new, builds and sells them under their brand. I would have thought with the new engine being essentially a BMW engine some of those tuners would have jumped in.

I think the perception in the US is different... we also don’t have the size limitations especially in the city that they have. My F250 wouldn’t have a snowballs chance in Rome for example. ;)

11. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    So, you are thinking that FEW competitors are the "deal" here? I TOTALLY disagree. It should be a matter of customer choice, and running away a vendor because one does not like him, just is idiotic. We could learn much from the competition and insodoing, get back some of the customer-members we have seemingly lost.

12. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Thats interesting! It would be nice if you were not forgetful! :D

13. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    And ofcourse now you have me off looking.. will find it at some point.

14. Whine not Walnuts

Whine not Walnuts Active Member

Mar 14, 2017
    waitin for my check
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ratings:
    +338 / 0 / -0
    Just when I was about to write this place off forever, a great pearl of wisdom.

Perhaps there is some hope.

15. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I know you & I will disagree on this vendor one vendor. No way I'd ever use him for a repair or buy a part from him. Met him & talked with him over lunch once. He regaled us guys sitting there with a story of how he fixed a ladies MINI & stuck it to her good. He was laughing about it, what a little tool. An easy fix that should have only cost a half hour labor & a $10 part was billed out at five times that amount. When I asked why he said the reason he did it was because she had a lot of money & could easily afford it. What the fark! That was the moment I learned all I needed to know about him. Over the years I've heard of a few other screw the customer jobs.

16. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

Yup that’s the true “Way” of WMW.

17. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    I understand why you might think I was thinking of a single vendor, but I was not, so you don't know me as well as you might think...LOL In fact, when I wrote my first post, I was not even thinking about him at all. Let's be honest here, however, he WAS run off by another member here in M/A, and, if there were other vendors who left because of stuff like that, then M/A IS hurting and until that is resolved, not a lot will bring those vendors back.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    He was not run off buy any members on M\A he cancelled and left himself after Nathan ask him to pay his vendor fee.

Please get your facts straight, I was there at the Dragon when it happend

19. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    He was there, too.

20. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Ok well what venders decide to be sponsors agin is yet to be seen. All that is asked is that when giving an opinion about vendor please stick to facts of the problem you had with them, bad service, crappy parts, etc. Being a douchebag may be a valid complaint but I believe that falls under bad service.:D
    I do remember a vender coming back under new ownership and was drug over the coals before they had a chance to show whether they had changed or not.
    Let's not turn this into an argument about venders.
    If you like a vendor say so, if not say so, but please give specific reasons, if a vender is under new ownership please give them a chance to redeem the name.

We are trying to keep MA a place where you can speak your mind.