Brakes Wheels 1st Gen Tires Help with 16 or 15 inch tires...

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Bimmer Lite, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Bimmer Lite

Bimmer Lite New Member

May 5, 2009
    English/Journalism teacher and writer
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Welp, in my travels, I have gathered a set of funked up 16 in R84s and a set of 15x7 Rota Slipstreams (my old track wheels).

What I'd like to do is find a good all-season tire to throw on one of them for the winter, even though I _try_ not to drive the MINI in icy/snowy weather. Best laid plans, right? I got "stuck" driving only the MINI for a month last winter. Let me tell you - a light dusting on frozen roads + nearly bald GSD3s = things in the car such as the brake pedal and the gas pedal no longer work :eek6:.

I did a cursory search on tirerack for something to fit on one of these sets of rims but didn't find anything that impressed me.

I want:
    - to pay less than $100/tire
    - a higher aspect ratio to raise the car a bit (I tutor for extra cash, not plow)

So what tires and in what sizes have you all used with success?

Thanks!

- Marc

2. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    everyone says those Bridgestone G019 Grids are sensational..no clue on price

Im running Goodyear Eagle GTs and theyre nice so far... good grip especially in wet, but they are a tad stiff still (car is lowered though)...but that is supposedly because they have an 'XL sidewall'.

Got them for about 100 ea. 205.55.16