Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Help with boost numbers

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by MCS02, Jan 3, 2013.

Tags:
  1. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,875 / 10 / -3
    The other day I got a wifi OBDII reader that I am using with Rev on my iPhone.
    I decided to see what kind of boost I am developing and what the intake temp at red line is.
    The outside air temp on the day I did the run was 48F. At red line I am developing 15.76 psi boost, 30.45 psi intake manifold press, and intake temp of 138.2, that's a 90 deg delta on the temp. I live in the south my intake temp must be really high in the summer.

Mods 17% pulley, headers, cat-back exhaust, Nology plug wires.

Do these numbers sound correct? I've been told a 15% pulley gives you about 15 psi boost, if that's true then my numbers are low. Also would it be better to get a different inter cooler or stay with the stock inter cooler and go with water/meth injection?

The real problem may be the loose nut behind the wheel has too much information and not enough knowledge.

Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks

2. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    #2 Jason Montague, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
    :cornut: Forgive my being merely a 'turbo Prince' man(actually 08 BRG R56 MCS/JCWm) but here's what I know. Most 'super Pentagon/Tritec' types up grade their intercoolers to the JCW/GP type, get intercooler air diverters, or they switch to front mounted intercoolers(FMIC). My Margi, with FMIC stock and an Alta intercooler air diverter cruising at 70mph, runs the following temps: 3f above ambient/ambient below 40f, 8f above ambient/ambient 40f-95f ambient, 10f above ambient/ambient above 95f. This is with standard MINI antifreeze/water/WaterWetter mix(don't know why I included this but there it is). Now when rapid accelleration to pass is required, the air intake temp rises to 20f above ambient then rapidly retuns to previous temp when coming back to cruise.
    Your 'boost level' sounds great.:Thumbsup:

Jason (I hope this helps:D

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,875 / 10 / -3
    I appreciate any help even if it comes from a lowly "turbo Prince man" :biggrin5:

Thanks for the help I need to add an intercooler to my growing list of parts.

Just don't let the other R53 guys know you(a R56 guy) gave me advice, they will thank I'm desperate. :cornut:

4. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    #4 Jason Montague, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
    :cornut: You're quite welcome and mum's the word but you've forgotten 2 other possible Black Mail facts against one or both of us.

1. I have a (dastardly) Alta:eek6::blush2: turbo intercooler air diverter(works great, fits great, keeps temps way down when Margi is moving). DaveO could get us kicked out for that.:wink:

2. You fly the USMC Force Recon babge(at least your small avitar looks like the avitar of a Force Recon guy that we have around here). This means that you're probably Force Recon qualified and (Holy Cow Dare I Say) you just took advice from an old Army SF Green Beret:eek6::wink:. This could get us thrown out of most bars that come to mind.:Thumbsup:

Jason (SFQC #3-[19]73 Ft Bragg, NC)

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,875 / 10 / -3
    Jason
    You may be right on the first point.:Thumbsup:
    But on the second one I need to correct a misconception. I am not a Marine.
    I am sorry the avatar looks similar. I have to much respect for you and those that serve to let this misunderstanding go. I have two brothers who served as Marines and a close friend that served in Afghanistan who was a Green Beret. I understand the sacrifices that are made by our Military and in particular the SF in all branches for us. You are the Sheep dog that keeps the wolf at bay. For this I can not say thank you enough for your service.

Just so you know the avatar is a swipe at Windows users I just cant help my self. here is a larger photo of it.

Attached Files:

6. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Thank You. Once again it seems that I only open my mouth to change feet. Thank you for your kind words. It was Grand High Adventure such that I wouldn't trade it for any thing. If I embarassed you then I most humbly apologize. They who keep the 'Home Front' running, serve also!:Thumbsup:

Jason

7. SacredDisorder

SacredDisorder Because Race Car?
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 28, 2012
    Iott Ranch & Orchard
    Petersburg, MI
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunately I Cannot speak for the boost, but I can chime in on the IAT. On my R56 with a Forge intercooler I was seeing about the same 136F temps. With the addition of Water/Meth I am now seeing about 10 above ambient at redline on a hot car. The highest I have seen is 96 Degrees on the track. While cruising if you pass then cruise you will see between -1 and -5 BELOW ambient. Highly Highly Highly recommend W/M.

-Brian

8. mckchr67

mckchr67 New Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Civil Engineering
    Liverpool, PA
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I have a 17% pulley and exhaust also with stock IC. I make around 16# at WOT just below readline. To fully utilize a 17 or 19 pulley and if you push the car hard regularly, you should get a bigger intercooler to help with the heat of pushing the eaton to its limits. Also water meth and a proper tune would make a world of difference in temps. The bypass valve could be suspect also in some boost loss.

9. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,875 / 10 / -3
    I plan on zip tying the bypass valve and check the numbers agin.

Brian did you keep the stock inter cooler and just add W/M? If so this would be very economical. Although HP gains and be economical don't normally go together.

I would like to get a tune some day but there is no one close where I live.

Thanks for the help. Lee