Help with Mis-fire issue

Discussion in 'MINI' started by twindad222, Jul 27, 2010.

1. twindad222

twindad222 New Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok, so about 4 weeks ago my check engine light comes on, car is 1year old. Ok dealer finds corrosion on the spark plugs replaces them and everything is fine. (yeah right). So I only drive her for a week and every morning she is sluggish and just not right, so I am forced to let her warm up prior to driving, so it seemed. Well last friday the check engine light comes on again. I take her back to the dealer and the service manager tells me that he thinks it might need new injectors. He calls me yesterday and tells me that I have multiple mis-fires and that they have to remove the supercharger and clean the heads and the supercharger by hand, per Mini. Well first concern is I have a turbo not supercharger, however I can understand his mistake. My true concern is what does this all mean? Does this car have bigger problems and they are following the company line and fixing my car step by step as things go wrong or should this solve my problems? Also is there anything that I can look out for or need to do other than a 93 octane gas and driving the car. She has just under 25k miles and this just seems odd to me. Any help you all could give would be great. Thanks.

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Can you tell us any of the codes that were thrown?

3. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like the dealer is doing what they are told.....but there are other ways to handle it (but if they are paying for it..let them do it!!).....Many Gen2 owners are having great luck by "SEA_FOAMing" their cars using a product called SEA-FOAM....a product that is sprayed into the PCV line (with the car running), then allowed to sit for a few minutes (with the car off)....when the car re-starts, the carbon has been soaked, and will be burnt off, or knocked off, and burned...
    The the dealer is doing it is what MINI wants (sounds like the guy you talked to was having a bad day..mixing up gen1 and gen2 mini's!)...they record their findings, and it gets billed internally to the correct department, and they keep track of the $$, while they devise a fix.
    Many gen2 cars have issues with the PVC gasses condensing on the back-side of the intake valves, and forming carbon. Since Gen2 cars are direct injected, fuel, and the fuel, and detergents are sprayed into the cylinders, and DOES NOT get sprayed onto the back of the valves, like in other injection systems.
    The goop that condenses on the back of the valves (evaporated oils, and other combustion byproducts) is baked on....and turns into carbon. This carbon then eventually restricts airflow, and causes performance loss, and codes.
    At a recent Motoring club event, INSKIP MINI, in RI hosted a tech session, and they gave us a full description of what has been happening....for the record, MINI does not use, SEA_FOAM, but another competing product....if it does not work, then they open up the engine, and do a manual cleaning!
    The above mentioned SEA-FOAM is kinda like a do-it at home carbon removal kit...works wonders on MINI's. The Gen2 folks love it.....
    On the GEN1 MINI's, the changes are subtle, but I have seen the difference at a tune event...wow!! Most folks were using it as needed, or as a preventive product (every 7500 miles or so)....the AEROSOL version is easy to use...(do-not get the deep-creep spray, but the regular one if you do it someday).
    Gen2 cars seem to have most of the bugs worked out, but this is a case where most future, direct injected cars may have an additional maintenance procedure, and perhaps a factory installed catch-can of sorts, to capture, and condense this "gunk".
    MINI is not the only direct injected car with issues....other car makers are dealing with the same issues....so it is not a MINI only issues....it is due to the switch to direct Injection...it is more efficient, but with any change, there is a bit of a learning curve for the engineers to implement the changes!

4. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    Pardon me if you already said, but is this warranty work? If this is all under warranty, go for it, but I'm not convinced that your SA is barking up the right tree. If their work is on your dime, I would recommend going somewhere else.

5. twindad222

twindad222 New Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank yo all for the great input. Sorry, YES this is all on their dime and it is still under full warranty so I am not too concerned at this point. I was not able to get the codes either. Good idea on the SEA-FOAM idea, I had seen that before however I had head that only the Gen-1 Mini's were really impacted with this problem. Thanks again for the info and the update.