1st Gen R53 Cooper S Hesitation after 16% pulley installed

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by EvilMiniMe, Feb 25, 2014.

1. EvilMiniMe

EvilMiniMe New Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    I purchased my 05 MCS with 85K miles on it three weeks ago. Last week I added a WMW 16% pulley package, with belt tensioner, belt and plugs. After adding the 16% pulley it seems like It needs more fuel during normal acceleration. Almost every time I step on the throttle lightly to half-way it seems really jerky like it is starving for fuel. When I am at WOT it feels much smoother, but still like it should be pulling harder (Feels kinda flat).

Below I have listed the maintenance I have done since getting the car, prior to what I have done I have NO Maintenance records for this car. I will tell you though, the clutch, steering, and suspension all feel tight. I know I need to replace the upper engine mount, but that shouldn't cause what I am feeling.

05' MCS - 87K mi - Recent work done;

Replaced 3 weeks ago-
    Upper Airbox lid removed and K&N Cone Filter "rigged" to factory intake tube (No Heat Shield),
    Oil Changed twice with Royal Purple 5w-30 and STP filter,
    Plugs changed to direct replacement NGK iridium,
    New EBC Red Stuff Brake Pads/sensors all around,

Replaced Last Week -
    Plugs changed again for JCW 1 step colder plugs,
    WMW 16% pulley installed
    New Gates belt installed (correct one)
    Tensioner Stop, and bushings.

I was thinking it probably needs a fuel filter, but then there is one more issue. Sometimes, when I start my car (cold or hot), I hear a nasty ticking sound coming from Cylinder 1 or that general area. I've heard it referred to as the "diesel sound", either way there is something sticking or just plain wrong and was curious who has experienced this and what it was.

I definitely appreciate any help!

~Justin

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Make sure you always use 93 octane it's a must. I have a 17% pulley if I am accelerating at a normal rate it has a hesitation or dead spot. I believe it's around 3000RPM give or take. At WOT it's not there. This is normal. Now it shouldn't be real bad, like causing the car to buck. On my mini it is more pronounced when it's hot and at the last dragon I went to it was really bad. Chad from Detroit Tuned told me this was normal.
    Just put your foot in it all the time, you'll never know it's there? :devil:

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Or you can have your car custom tuned by JAN with RMW and remove the dead spot. :ihih::devil::Thumbsup:

4. EvilMiniMe

EvilMiniMe New Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    ALWAYS ALWAYS use 93 when I fill up. It actually occurs from 3500 - 5500 rpm or so, and it feels like the fuel is cutting out. Which is why I thought fuel filter replacement would be a good Idea as I'm pretty sure its the original, this is being done this weekend.

The ticking/knocking i am getting randomly at startup also concerns me as I read somewhere that carbon buildup can be a problem on R53's. When I start it and I hear the dreaded ticking I rev it lightly once and **** it off. Restart it after a few seconds and it is gone, or definitely reduced and a few more revs will make it go away. Sound always comes from passenger side near cyl 1? :mad2:

I wonder if Seafoaming it would help?

5. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    That may just be the oil getting up to where it needs to be on a cold start. The R53 does not really have any carbon issues that's an R56 feature. :rolleyes:

Good choice on 93 as that's all I run in my car.

6. EvilMiniMe

EvilMiniMe New Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    I will eventually get there...but I'm not going to tune until I am done building my masterpiece. Beast Mode is in the works, but not there yet. And knowing me I'll NEVER be done....:D

7. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Don't worry you are not alone, none of us are ever done modding. :devil:

8. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    DaveO is right about the ticking. Mine does that on occasion on a cold start. I would not rev it till it stops ticking. It usually takes it a few seconds to stop. A can of Seafoam in the tank isn't a bad idea.

9. Norm03s

Norm03s New Member

May 5, 2009
    Working at being retired.
    Somewhere in Sykesville. Md.
    Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    R53's don't have carbon issues, "Sound always comes from passenger side " check your crank shaft pulley for separation, Fuel cut, occurs if the wheels are spinning and you don't have traction control turned off, "actually occurs from 3500 - 5500 rpm" right in the sweet spot of torque and HP.

10. EvilMiniMe

EvilMiniMe New Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    I inspected the crank pulley last week when I installed the new SC pulley, No visible cracks or seperation and looked to be in great condition. Also, Traction control is the first thing I turn off when I start my car...it stays off. :cornut:

11. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Your MINI ran fine before the pulley install. Hmm that is odd. If you have original plug wires on your car you are way past due for a new set. OEM equivalent will be fine, no need for fancy spendy ones. Make sure the terminals on the coil pack aren't dirty, if they are a clean & it's good.

I agree it sounds like fuel starvation, but my knowledge of such things comes from the era of carburetors. Try wires first. Maybe a fuel filter. Injectors could be dirty too restricting flow.

New wires :fingerscrossed:

Bottle of Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner :fingerscrossed:

Fuel filter :fingerscrossed:

12. EvilMiniMe

EvilMiniMe New Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    I agree about it being odd...

During the first spark plug change the first week I had my car I took special care to apply dieletric grease to all contact points. I also cleaned my cyl #3 terminal on the stock ignition block, and applied dielectric grease to all 4 contact points there as well. The wires are original so I will replace them as normal maintenance soon.

I think I am going to try the Fuel filter first then go from there. Maybe it is limiting fuel pressure/flow, maybe not?!

Thanks for the reply!

13. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I would also ditch the Iridium plugs when needed and get the OEM NGK 4 prong plugs for the JCW. Those iridium's will not last very long and really don't add anything.

14. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Try some Techron, pour in a bottle & drive a bit. If that doesn't work fuel filter, that being said changing that out isn't a bad idea.

Are you getting any codes?

15. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    What no Carburetor!!! well no wonder that screw I was turning didn't adjust the idle. I wonder what they screw was attached to? :biggrin5:

16. EvilMiniMe

EvilMiniMe New Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    The first plug change was to the iridium's, last week I DID install the JCW plugs that come with Way's pully package...Idle is def smoother with the 4 prong platinum's.

17. EvilMiniMe

EvilMiniMe New Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    No CEL or SES, so It's not throwing any codes that would set off the CEL, but I have not had it connected to a reader either. Can the Mini throw a code without tripping the CEL? or SES?

18. EvilMiniMe

EvilMiniMe New Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    LMAO...you mean those weren't jets i replaced

19. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Definition.... Carburetor, a French word that means no not Fark with. :D

I can tune, & rebuild a set of SU carbs or Weber carbs, but fuel infection messes with me. Computer controlled electronical carburetor. :eek:ut:

20. EvilMiniMe

EvilMiniMe New Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    So not related to the hesitation, i dont think....but i was smelling coolant on the way in to work this morning. I just walked out and checked and the expansion tank has exploded green coolant stuffs all over my engine bay.

Called WMW, right down the street from my work, and they have 1 left. Thank god!