Exterior 1st Gen Hidden Rust!

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Steve, Oct 6, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Sorry...

Yeah, I was pretty surprised at the extent of it on his car too. The car was originally owned by his brother - a lead tech at the MINI dealer - who died unexpectedly in his early 30's. Point being, I know the car was well cared for, and as I said, always garaged.

2. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
  3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
  4. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    When I did the "rustoration" on my E-Type I used WaxOil thruout the internals to make sure it didn't rust again. It wasn't very expensive and the local dealer loaned me the spray gun to put it in......I used a whole gallon!

Here are a few pics from the repairs...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/505677

5. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Hey Dave,

Amazing job on the e-type! Great write up as well. I did my TR6 back in 85 the same way and used first Eastwood's Corroless, and then the WaxOil inside the frame too.

Cheers
    Mr. Jim

6. MidwestMini

MidwestMini New Member

Aug 3, 2011
    IT
    Land of Lincoln.
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi, Lotsie. Mind sharing your experience with getting the rust addressed?

Alas, just as you wrote, my '03 has rust that appears to have originated somewhere below the rear driver's side brake light or within the light housing. I took it to a locally respected body shop where another Mini happened to be parked in front. I showed the rust to the owner, and he said about "90% of the repairs" (hyperbole?) he does to Minis is fix rust in that area and, as he showed me on both the other Mini and my Mini, rust on the top of the trunk handle. *SIGH* He said to take it to the dealer and have them take responsibility for what he considers a design flaw that lets in moisture.

Again, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully, MidwestMini

7. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Welcome to M/A Midwest:Thumbsup:

I think the best course of action would be to present your MINI to the local dealer & see what they say. Hopefully they will make it right.

As you know the back of our cars are dirt magnets & in winter they are salt magnets. Keeping them hosed off is the only prevention I know of.

8. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Resurrecting this thread because...why not?

Also, since this is a rust-oriented thread, does anyone know anything about Evapo-Rust? Does it work? How good is it? Any cautions?

9. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Have not heard of it before, but if you look at the picture on the right with the rusted vs clean parts a chrome plated wrench would not rust unless the chrome came off. So it would not look still chrome plated after treatment????

Always leery of miracle products......

10. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    I have seen this product advertised, but have no personal experience with it. That pic is weird, why would they go and place good condition chromed items in that pic? If you look around the sides of those items you can see raw metal rust removed wrenches, etc. That was a very deceiving pic.

That being said, this is a soak type of product and likely does work to some extent, but you might find that it takes a lot longer to soak than you expect. Also you have the issue of reclaim as you likely do not want to dump the product after you use it to soak something just cause it ain't cheap, etc. I believe this product is non-toxic and environmentally friendly so if you had a 55 gal drum of it then you could dump it more readily.