High Flow Cats and Headers

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Whine not Walnuts, May 14, 2018.

1. Whine not Walnuts

Whine not Walnuts Active Member

Mar 14, 2017
    waitin for my check
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ratings:
    +338 / 0 / -0
    Jan's Shorty Header (with a Vibrant GESI high flow cat) and the Milltek are the top line header units. With allot of folks now buying used Gen1s there may be some new interest in headers and high flows with many Cat makers of today not being around back when the Gen1s came out. The Asian headers are cheap and although there will be those that say they are crap, there will always be somebody out there that will buy one.

On the cats, the rule is thumb is the cheaper the price, the less precious metals to act as catalyst agents and that many will not hold up under the forced induction heat/pressures that the S produces. The other issue is the space where the cat can be installed. The factory cat is about 5.25 inches. There are allot of high flow cats out there but longevity can be linked to the overall diameter and a number thrown around is 130 mm (5.1") but most of the "green" highflows are 6" in diameter so unless they are very short they will be hitting the heat shield on the back end of the unit.

Kooks is in NC and makes a green cat that they say is rated for 900 hp and the high temps of a forced induction car. Its not cheap and is the "magic" 130 mm in diameter but at 12" long it may top out towards the back. I am thinking the tunnel tapers down about 4" in front of the cat back exhaust flange that coincides with where the factory cat stops. Thinking it is a 300 cell unit. Something less in cost then the Kooks green cat is a Pypes CVM11k that is made for a Mustang that they say is rated for forced induction, the problem is they do not sell a single 2.5" cat but rather it is double as the Mustang has two pipes. I have had some discussions with them and told them their cat looks promising as the size would appear to work quite well for an OBX type header. I did not get into the metallic matrix folding with them (see below).

It appears that the metallic matrix holds up better with the higher egt's of our superchargers. Just as the 130 mm diameter appears to be important the manner in which the metallic matrix is folded/wrapped also makes a difference. The simple paper towel type wrap (start in the center and wrap outwards) is the least expensive with an "S" type fold being better. Yonaka uses the "S" wrap but is an inexpensive high flow cat.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Thanks. Good timing, I may need a new cat. I am also thinking of just getting rid of the cat for now.
    Does anyone know where to get the restor to plug into the O2 plug so I don’t through a code if I de-cat?

3. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    Excellent timing. I am having an RMW header installed by Detroit Tuned in Aug. It will hook up to my stock R52 exhaust system. When I get back to Cincy, I will have a custom muffler exhaust to replace the stock muffler configuration. Jan tuned my car at the Dragon in '15 when I had a 15%pulley and a CAI installed. I have since added a 2%crank pulley. In your opinion, will the addition of a header require a new tune? I have no experience with MINI mods so I can use all the help I can get:Thumbsdown::Thumbsdown::Thumbsdown: As always, TIA

4. Whine not Walnuts

Whine not Walnuts Active Member

Mar 14, 2017
    waitin for my check
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ratings:
    +338 / 0 / -0
    I thought I read somewhere that Jan will retune your car for free if you upgrade with another of his RMW products. Now that could be if you already the Flash Tool but if you do not, you can rent the tool from him.

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    JAN will retune it for free with more RMW mods. That is true.