R53 High pitched noise, at full throttle over 3000 RPM

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Dulcidi, Jul 14, 2021.

1. Dulcidi

Dulcidi New Member

Jul 14, 2021
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello, I've a high pitched noise who comes only above 2900rpm, ( higher pitched than the normal whine) and only when full throttle or almost ( 95% ). It comes suddenly, 1 second after the car started accelerating...
    Thanks if somebody knows what It could be...

Here is a vid, you hear it coming suddenly ...

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA! I could not hear the noise you are talking about. I do have a few questions. How many miles are on your R53? Have you done any mods to the car? When was the last time you changed the belt, belt tensioner, idler pulley? Have you had a good look at the crank pulley? If the rubber is cracked it could be going bad. Lastly have you ever changed the oil in your supercharger and is there any noice like a rattle coming from it at idle?

3. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,021 / 6 / -5
    I didn’t hear the high pitch sound either but then again my hearing is not what it use to be. MCS02 gave some good advice on where to start looking for known R53 problems and Welcome to Motoring Alliance.

4. John Jordan

John Jordan New Member

Jun 16, 2022
    Male
    Training Coordinator
    SE Michigan
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I am having the exact same issue and was able to confirm this through the video. I feel it is coming from the belt side and I can get it to occur when quickly increasing RPMs or downshifting to pass. Does not happen when slowly accelerating through the same RPM ranges. Maybe it is just me, but it also feels like some boost is lost during this time.

I also noticed a faint line in the center of my drive belt, as if it has rubbed something and there is more deflection than I would like. I have an adjustable tensioner so I plan to add tension to the belt to see if that changes anything.

For reference, I am new to this car but not to automotive repair. I bought it with a seized engine and cracked head. In addition to a new engine, the following areas have been addressed:
    - Supercharger service
    - 15% SC pulley
    - Lower mileage stock damper
    - Adjustable tensioner rod
    - New belt
    - New AC clutch/coil

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA! I am not much on the adjustable tensioners. Did you replace the idler pulley and use the shorter belt for the 15% pulley? If that damper has any cracks in the rubber in it I would not trust it. I replaced mine with an ATI. Some one here used a different damper I don't remember the brand.

6. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,021 / 6 / -5
    Welcome to Motoring Alliance

7. John Jordan

John Jordan New Member

Jun 16, 2022
    Male
    Training Coordinator
    SE Michigan
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Yes, shorter belt that came with the pulley as a kit. I had one tensioner with the shock and one with the adjuster. After reading the horror stories related to tensioner failure, I opted to go with the adjuster. Damper was in good condition from a parted out unit with 52k on it. Original one had some movement. Wanted to go with ATI but didn't have the funds after everything else I had to do to get this car going (stuff listed was only related to the belt side)

Idler is also from the 52k engine and looked/felt ok. I have chassis ears that I may throw on there to narrow this down. Doesn't seem to be one of the more common noise complaints with these.

8. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I don't have my R53 anymore but when I did, if I changed the belt I would also get a new idler and tensioner. But It sounds like you got all that covered. When you were putting it together did you look at the timing chain? Stupid question but when you serviced the SC did you do both ends? Maybe the alternator. It sounds like you covered everything els. Perhaps one of the other R53 guys will think of something more check. You could get a screwdriver and see if you can narrow down where the sound is coming from.
    It's good to hear someone is bringing an R53 back to life. Post some pictures.

also the best two places to get parts are
    https://www.detroittuned.com
    and
    https://www.outmotoring.com

both of the owners are great guys

9. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,021 / 6 / -5
    Personally I would go with a oem tensioner over an adjustable one if for no other reason than Dave.O was adamant about using and changing the oem style one.

10. John Jordan

John Jordan New Member

Jun 16, 2022
    Male
    Training Coordinator
    SE Michigan
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    The timing chain and tensioner were replaced and the SC was drained, cleaned, and filled on both ends. Also, new water pump.

The head and block were purchased separately and assembled. Other new parts include the Valeo single mass clutch conversion and stainless valve cover bolt set.

I have also ordered the low speed fan resistor from mouser to repair the fan and new parking brake cables.

Here are some images from during the build.

Attached Files:

11. John Jordan

John Jordan New Member

Jun 16, 2022
    Male
    Training Coordinator
    SE Michigan
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Putting the shock back on is still a possibility as I saved the old tensioner. I had concerns that the adjustable rod may result in vibrations and/or noises, just not like the noise I am hearing.

12. John Jordan

John Jordan New Member

Jun 16, 2022
    Male
    Training Coordinator
    SE Michigan
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for the links as well. Detroit Tuned is only about 20 miles from me so I will have to stop by there at some point.

13. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,021 / 6 / -5
    You’ve done a lot of nice work.

14. John Jordan

John Jordan New Member

Jun 16, 2022
    Male
    Training Coordinator
    SE Michigan
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Thank you, more to come!

15. John Jordan

John Jordan New Member

Jun 16, 2022
    Male
    Training Coordinator
    SE Michigan
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Just an update, I was driving today on a quiet road with building close by. With the windows down, I can hear that this is definitely a belt screech.

otherwise, it sounded like a raspy/boost leak sound, like in the video above. I will update again after tightening the belt.

16. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Nice work! Chad is the owner of DT. He is a great guy very helpful and has done a lot for the Mini community. I have talked with him several times and am always impressed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. John Jordan

John Jordan New Member

Jun 16, 2022
    Male
    Training Coordinator
    SE Michigan
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Another update. Tightened the belt and the noise is gone! Also, supercharger is much more responsive. Slipping was definitely causing me to lose boost. Here are some images of my belt setup:

Attached Files:

18. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    That’s great! Good easy fix.

19. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,021 / 6 / -5
    Good to see you found the problem. I wonder how often you will have to make an adjustment.

20. John Jordan

John Jordan New Member

Jun 16, 2022
    Male
    Training Coordinator
    SE Michigan
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Hoping it was just because the belt was new. I also tightened it until it felt like one with a standard tensioner initially. In this case, the adjustable rod doesn't allow any additional slack to be taken up.