Product Review Hillbilly Review of PSB Control Arm Bushings

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by HillbillyChili, Feb 8, 2019.

1. HillbillyChili

Jun 14, 2017
    Software
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Hey Everyone,

As I continue to basically rebuild #22 from the wheels up I wanted to share another review with you guys. This time it is for Problem Solving Bushings (PSB) Polyurethane control arm bushings. I went with these over Powerflex because they were $65 vs $85 for the PF.

Links to purchase them:
    Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/COOPER-00-08-Control-Wishbone-Bushing/dp/B00KH4X3DU
    Ebay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/MINI-Cooper-00-15-Front-Lower-Control-Arm-Wishbone-Poly-Bushing-Kit-Red-PSB-640/322827409606?fits=Model%3ACooper%7CMake%3AMini&hash=item4b2a0358c6:g:U6gAAOSwhIZbCDlB:rk:7:pf:0

Now mine came exactly as shown but did not include any lube unfortunately. I had to buy some silicone, water resistant grease as well but that was like $2. Comes with horrid directions so I followed Mod Mini's video on installation. Also, has a lifetime warranty so if they wear out I can just sang a new set. Although, not looking forward to replacing them again if they go bad...

To install I used the cutoff method since I already had all the ball joints off to replace anyway. Cutting the old ones out was a bear but installation of the new ones went quickly using my homemade press made from 1/2in all-thread rod, 2 washers, 2 nuts, and 2 1/2" black pipe floor flange from the plumbing section. The bushing did go lopsided during installation but I kept tightening it down and it corrected itself. Had to hit it with a hammer to get it in the rest of the way after I bottomed out the "press". This hammering didn't seem to mar the surface or deform the bushing in anyway, pretty dang tough. Then I just slid the red pieces onto the control arm and shoved it in there with liberal amounts of grease all over it. kept popping out until I put the ball joints in the arm and that kept it in place.

Haven't had a chance to test drive it yet but installation was easy enough. Will update with performance if noteworthy.

Hope this might save you guys some cash.

-HC

Attached Files:

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Thanks for the review. When I did my bushings I got a set of prepressed PF bushings from Detroit Tuned. I dropped the subframe to do it. I also changed my power steering hose clamps to stop the leaks caused by the stock clamps while the subframe was on the ground.

3. HillbillyChili

Jun 14, 2017
    Software
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    If I ever have to do it again, I will just drop the subframe. Would be a good chance to get it powder coated and would also save me the 2 hours of getting the inner ball joints on and off. I should probably get my PS hoses replaced too but then I wouldn't have the "rust-prohibitive coating" that I get with my leaky ones.