Hit a milestone and still making changes.

Discussion in 'Car Builds, Projects, Idea's Experiments' started by BlwnAway, Aug 26, 2012.

1. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Looking good :Thumbsup: One day I want NOS too :ihih:

2. BlwnAway

BlwnAway Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    Under the bonnet is finally done, decided to take the long way around when doing the I/C horn & take it off, instead of the ole "stuff a rag down it & use a vacuum" trick. I decided to just take the time & remove it, that way there was no chance of getting any metal shavings into the S/C. And while I had it off I also drilled & tapped it for my pre-I/C temp sensor. (was just reading incoming air, pre S/C)

So here' the final results of the engine compartment: (still needs a good cleaning though)

Both sensors in, battery junction box re-mounted.
    IMAG0438.jpg

Nozzles & Lines attached.
    IMAG0440.jpg IMAG0442.jpg

Just have to finish the gauges & wiring in the car, and mount the bottle & line.

3. BlwnAway

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    So, only 1 1/2 good weather days over the holiday w/e @ my place, so everything didn't get done as I had hoped, but 99% of all of my wiring is done. (since I solder & shrink tube everything instead of crimp connectors or twist & tape, all of it is actually really time consuming.) It did take every bit of what time I had. All of the wiring under the hood is complete, and the only thing left to do in the cabin is to splice in the Throttle Position Sensor wiring & move + install 2 gauges. (fuel psi & new NOS psi gauges are going on the Chrono Pack.

Got my Double Cup gauge cups on Fri.
    FlexPodNav006-1-1.jpg

Drilled & placed my 3mm leds that I'm using as indicator lights.
    IMAG0447.jpg

Siliconed them in place. (yes silicone is my duct tape, go ahead & shake your heads :D)
    IMAG0453.jpg

Was too ugly, so I made some covers.
    IMAG0456.jpg

Didn't like them horizontal, too high, so I opted for vertical.

IMAG0460.jpg

The bottom hole on this side is for the future W/M gauge, but again didn't like the unfinished look, so $3.00 ea. at my local Ace Hardware store & I got some of these, 2" nylon hole plugs.

IMAG0457.jpg

Then a little Black Satin spray paint & I'm satisfied.

IMAG0463.jpg

Everything done but the other 2 gauges. (NOS & Fuel psi)

IMAG0459.jpg

Indicator lights are:
    Left (all Red)
    NOS on
    NOS Bottle Heater on
    NOS Remote Bottle Opener open/close

Right (all Blue)
    Rally Lights on
    W/M on
    (open/future)

And again, I know it's a little much for most people but WTF, I do like as much info as possible.
    (Hey, at least give me credit for not stringing 3 or 4 more across the top of the dash....:lol: )

Should have the gauges & wiring done before the w/e, which only leaves the bottle & line install.

Leave it to me to turn a simple "one day to install" universal Nitrous kit, into a full blown 2 month project. :lol:

4. jiminni

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Dude.....what's all that stuff in your side pocket? :lol: Your interior is starting to look like Lynn's :arf:

5. BlwnAway

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    Haa, Haa, Haa, that'll teach me to pay attention to "everything" before I post. :rolleyes: :lol:

"Clutter Is My Friend.". :D

6. jiminni

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Yea kinda figured that in looking at your backyard also :biggrin5:

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Nice Ace Hardware mod.

I think you need more gauges.:lol::lol::lol::lol::Thumbsup:

8. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: In the door side pocket...............was that a roach clip?:Thumbsup:

Jason

9. BlwnAway

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    #29 BlwnAway, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
    Yea, :eek: no garage & a small house things tend to get like that, esp. with the change of seasons, we're in transition from warm fall (still summer stuff) to winter/holidays, there's stuff everywhere right now, that's part of the problem with getting everything on the car done, between not so nice days and things that "I'm Told" are more important, and my long work days, I'm lucky the car is getting the attention that it is. :(

Like This? :lol::lol::lol:
    attachment-2.jpg

Or I could have always used a tablet & the Torque app. :lol::lol:

Screenshot2012-05-01at121831AM.png

I actually am going to be adding 1 more (besides the W/M) sort of, since I'm pulling the fuel psi gauge off the dash & putting it on the chrono pack with the new NOS psi gauge I'm going to have a spot open up, I'd rather replace it than pull one of my dash cups.(I've grown accustom to the look of 4) I'm leaning toward EGT, but not really sure yet, my pre I/C portion of the double readout is bumping the readout peak a lot (peaks @ 225*f) so I'm also looking into what to do with it.

I wish, at my age & stress level, I could use a little "mind numbing" every now & then.

10. BlwnAway

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    Of course another woulda, shoulda, coulda w/e, either the weather sux, or it's so nice you gotta do something else. (70*+ on Sun. so just had to take the bike out....at least that's what I was "told" anyway.)

But, did get all the gauges in & all the wiring done, except for the push buttons, (gonna take a little more research for what I'm trying to do), also got the bottle mounting board, cut and ready for fabric. (gonna just mount everything to a board so that the whole thing can be taken out for easy battery access.) I'll get the fabric this week.
    Complete shot of the finished dash & gauge setup.
    IMAG0471.jpg

Found something else to do with those plugs, if you have the craven cups & don't like the backs left open, the plugs I used give a pretty clean finished look on the back also, here's the difference.

IMAG0469.jpg

11. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: That's really impressive. With all those gauges, it looks just like an 'old timey' airplane cockpit.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: I was just trying to be 'New Age' funny what with all of us old duffers around here. It is what I wish my cockpit looked like.:Thumbsup:

Jason

12. BlwnAway

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    I've got the "way too many" comment from some, and yes, I get it, it's actually not something I strived for or anything, I just found a personal need for all the info so tried to make it as aesthetically pleasing as I could, thats all.
    That and I wanted to show the plugs on the back of the gauge pods, that was always a sore spot about them for me, hell thats why I did the gauges on the dash in the first place, instead of on the chrono pac.

13. BlwnAway

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    Cold-Ass w/e but got most everything done, (ended up with some numb "cheeks" lying on the ground doing the line install :D ) Only thing left is to figure out the wiring for the buttons & I'm done. (if I can pull off my idea for the buttons you'll understand the delay.)

Gonna try to get the bottle filled before the w/e so that I can at least check for leaks when I do my final once over.

Not much room left in the boot, once the W/M tank goes in, in a couple of months, that'll be about it, gonna make packing for MOTD a little more of a challange, to say the least, I didn't have much space to begin with, but I did use every bit of it, oh well, just the price you pay sometimes.

IMAG0487.jpg

Also have a psi gauge on the bottle itself, besides the in car one. (go ahead & say it....yes, another gauge....:lol: ) and ordered the bottle heater today.

14. BlwnAway

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    #34 BlwnAway, Dec 30, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
    Ran into a snag last week, my #1 controller is leaking fuel internally, so I'll just have to send it back for a replacement, no biggie but the place I get my stuff from was off for the whole week, so no progress till the week of the new year, but the controller is out and ready to go back, thanks to these: (no cutting or splicing)
    QuickSpliceConnector_zpsba2edca6.jpg
    only took 15 min. to pull out of the system so that worked out really good, did have to run to the A/P store for some fitting caps though, otherwise the fittings into the controller on the "out" side would be open and create a boost leak, just another thing to put into my NOS only spare parts & tools box. (another thing Harbor Freight is great for, inexpensive smaller tool box's for all those extra parts and specialty tools that really only have to do with "one certain" project.)

As far as the push buttons for the system go, that was all that was left to do, all the physical install is done, but my original idea has proven to be a real PITA and very dificult as far as the wiring goes, I was going to try and use the Up/Down tuning buttons for my radio, on the steering wheel for those, the output wiring from the controller is pretty straight forward but trying to tap in the NOS input wires through the system is a real challange....sooooo, thanks to Minsanity giving me the steering wheel bug, I'm going to go ahead and replace the wheel completely and do some custom control buttons on the wheel itself, it will be a lot easier to do the wiring from scratch than to try and tap into exhisting factory connections. Should order my wheel this week sometime, once it arrives I can start making my mounting plates and brackets that I'll need to make my creation come to life. (I'll just be happy to do all that stuff in the shop, instead of outside right now... )

Happy New Year Everyone.

15. BlwnAway

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    Replacement Nitrous Management unit will be back to me today. (I'll pop it back in tomorrow after work while we have some warm days)

New steering wheel should be here next Wed. or so, need it for a template for some custom machine work I'm going to do before it goes on, ended up picking this one because of the shape of the spokes & my design idea, plus it was just under $110.00 shipped. (also, same bolt pattern as the OMP, Sparco & Momo, so a swap will be simple if I end up not liking it.)

st-007s-1.jpg

16. BlwnAway

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    #36 BlwnAway, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
    Steering wheel project is done & ready for install, after I got the wheel I was able to make my pattern & fab up my push button panel, here's some pic's of it's progression:
    (my only regret is that I don't have any "real" metal working tools, I just wish some of the lines & corners were more symmetrical)

The wheel itself.
    IMAG0497-1.jpg

Button panel pattern & fab work.
    IMAG0498.jpg IMAG0502.jpg IMAG0503.jpg IMAG0504.jpg IMAG0505.jpg

Finished product.
    IMAG0513.jpg

Now all I have to do is wait for the hub to get here, it's supposed to be available 01/31 to ship, once it gets here I need to sort out the wiring for the buttons & then the rest of the install is pretty straight forward.

The black butrons in the panel are simply replacements for the factory cruise & radio controls, the red buttons on the wheel itself are (left) Nitrous & (right) Horn.

17. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Well that turned out nice....
    I like your metalwork layout....:D

18. BlwnAway

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, from you, I'll take any compliment on metal work, that is 16ga steel and by time I got to the finish trimming my blade was done & I had to shape the corners with my bench grinder, so there not all the same, like I would have liked. I'll live with it for a while & then decide if a re-vamp or just a re-do will be in order or not. Wish they would have taught shop, years ago at my H.S.

19. eMINIparts

eMINIparts Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Mar 13, 2012
    MINI Parts Advisor
    Bedford NH
    Ratings:
    +1,090 / 0 / -0
    #39 eMINIparts, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2013

Good to remember Left Go Fast Right Get out of my way I'm Going FAST!

20. CarlB

CarlB Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    Really well done!! good metal work - good design