Hit a milestone and still making changes.

Discussion in 'Car Builds, Projects, Idea's Experiments' started by BlwnAway, Aug 26, 2012.

1. BlwnAway

BlwnAway Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    What surprised me is, that's with only 22 psi. on pump gas.
    The plan with the W/M is 25-26 psi.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Interesting - catching up on this thread. The concept of putting a temp sensor in the engine bay is a good one. I'll have to think about that one going forward.

3. BlwnAway

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    It's been a while since an update and now that MOTD is over I've finally got some time.
    I wasn't able to get everything done that I wanted for MOTD.

Had a set back over the winter and didn't get the car back together until March.
    A few weeks after the Dyno session I developed a coolant leak, ends up that my radiator cap went bad, but not in the good...not holding pressure...way, but in the bad...won't release pressure way, and it built up so much pressure that it blew out the bottom of the radiator core. (One bad thing about aluminum reservoirs, they don't crack first) So I had to have a new radiator made. Luckily there was someone fairly local that builds custom radiators, but he's retired and would only do it in his spare time, so it between the weather and his schedule, it took 4 months to get done.
    It's actually a beautiful piece and except for the cost, it's actually better than the earlier one. Plus with this failure, I know without a doubt the rest of the system is completely leak proof, lol.

[​IMG]

The MOTD trip itself was great, absolutely no issues or drama at all, simply get in the car and drive.
    The only issue I had was once there, I wasn't able to give as many rides as I would have liked to, one of the things I couldn't finish before the trip was the BBK, and after a couple of hard pulls up and down the hill by the resort, the current brakes were just glazed over and I had to let them sit a good long time before any more hard driving, which really limited me to offering rides.

I was however able to get a few, nonessential items finally taken care of though.
    First was the PCV and addition of a Catch Can. While our engines don't "need" a vacuum source for PCV, and you can simply vent to atmosphere, having it can only be a plus.
    The reason I didn't add it right away was that every time I tapped into my vacuum manifold for it, the vacuum would drop so much that it would effect my brake booster and I'd lose power assist, no matter what size line or where I connected. The solution was to add individual ports directly from the intake manifold itself. So, since I need to remove the manifold to ensure no metal into the system I figured I'd clean and dress it up a little too.

The before:

[​IMG]

During:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

Also added a cover for the injectors to keep rain that comes through the scoop from directly wetting the connections:

[​IMG]

New Catch Can Bracket fabbed up and mounted:

[​IMG]

Installed and everything put back together:

[​IMG]

I also finally got around to building the brackets for my Fire Extinguishers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They follow along with the seats so no issue with them being in the way.

Lastly I found this decal in the bins at Chad's tent, couldn't help but put it on the car....Lol

[​IMG]

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Nice! I like that radiator!

5. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,021 / 6 / -5
    The cover plate was a trick addition.

6. BlwnAway

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    Thanks,
    While I drove to Texas for the tuning in a pretty good down pour for half the trip with no issues, without an TMIC to divert and dissipate the rain, I figure it couldn't hurt.

Plus, even though it's pretty plain looking, I like it better than nothing at all.

7. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Sorry the old radiator blew, but looks like you have a very nice one now. Curious, what were the results of your Dyno tuning?

8. BlwnAway

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    Those are back a page, post# 133 & 138

Tuning results on pump gas with 22 lb boost:
    322 whp / 251 tq

The injectors were running 93-95% with the 22 lb's, my hope is that a 75/25 mix with the W/M will allow me to run 26-27 psi.
    If not larger injectors and Deatschwerks fuel pump are going in.
    I didn't put the extra money into this engine and turbo to only run 22 psi, esp as little as the full boost is actually seen, since it is still a street car.

9. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Ah - got it. Sorry about that, been working off a super slow internet last 12 days. Should be getting back to normal soon. Overall looking great.