Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Hot Wires Vs Cool Wires

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Sideways, May 18, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Sideways

Sideways New Member

May 12, 2009
    Motorer and footwear Extrodinaire!
    Above the Border^^^
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    I'm looking at upgrading the ignition pack to an MSD.
    I figure it would be a nice upgrade for my oh6 right?
    I figure if i am doing the pack I should upgrade the wires as well...

So I am looking around and come across 2 products by Nology:
    The Nology Hot wires:confused5:
    Nology HotWires(tm) for your Mini Cooper & Mini Cooper S are the most technologically advanced ignition wires available. Nology HotWires(tm) are engineered with an exclusive built-in capacitor which creates the most powerful spark possible. This revolutionary design allows energy from the ignition coil to accumulate in the capacitor until the voltage at the spark plug electrodes reaches the ionization point. At that split second, the entire power of the stored spark is discharged at once, creating a spark 300 times more powerful than normal. The result is faster, more complete combustion, and most importantly, MORE HORSEPOWER for your Mini Cooper that's 100% smog legal.
    The Nology Cool wires:confused:
    CoolWires(tm) utilize the highest quality silicone and OE terminals, guaranteeing high performance reliability and a perfect fit on your Mini Cooper & Mini Cooper S. And, the high temperature silicone construction makes CoolWires(tm) ideal for demanding high temperature supercharger and header applications.
    Because CoolWires(tm) for your Mini Cooper utilize spiral core technology with 300 ohms of resistance per foot, there is virtually no radio interference while providing a hotter spark to the plug. CoolWires(tm) are OBD-II compatible and feature a limited lifetime warranty from Nology.

really what is the difference?
    I do not have a pulley, but I am planning on installing an Alta intercooler later this year as well...Will this make a difference in chosing between Hot or Cool?
    My typical drive is generally on the highway and around town...I don't race or autoX...but wanted to at least see if there was any Vet out there who could bestow a bit of knowledge as the the benefits/differences between these wires.

Cheers for any help

2. Sideways

Sideways New Member

May 12, 2009
    Above the Border^^^
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    is this right?
    Hotwires - SUPERCHARGED MOTORS
    Coolwires - TURBOCHARGED MOTORS

3. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Both of those have some really good advertising generalizing technical information.

The MINI uses an ECU controlled ignition and the coil which is actually a transformer delivery the spark plug. So the first description about the in line capacitor really does not apply to the BMW/MINI.

For the MINIs relatively short HT wires the advertised 300ohm per ft is not that great. However the "Spiral Core" technology is one of the best.
    So if you are choosing between these two the coolwires are better application.

The MSD coil is a good choice.

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I guess it's time for this discussion to come around again.

1. Nology wires for a MINI are like taking cash and burning it. The OEM and Kingsborne wires have shown again and again they are up for the job on even the most modded MINIs.

2. The OEM coil works. In my book the only reason to go with the MSD is because it is red. Also note the OEM Coil Bolts need to be modified to work. The sleeve on them has to be removed. The MSD application is actually for a Neon, not for a MINI, hence the need to mod the bolts.

5. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Yep.... there are hella modded MINIs that run JUST FINE with the OEM wires and coil. Waaaaaaay better places to spend that money. In fact, a lot of cars with ignition problems due to aftermarket wires/coils have reverted back to OEM and resolved there issues...

6. Sideways

Sideways New Member

May 12, 2009
    Above the Border^^^
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Well...I am glad I asked! LOL
    I will scratch that off the list then...bling is cool and all, but if it is gonna end up being a waste of money then there are a lot of ways I can spend the cheddar...

7. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    #7 Jason Montague, May 18, 2010
    Last edited: May 18, 2010
    Alta Products

:Thumbsup: Just a heads up, not trying to bash but.........Alta's customer satisfaction over the last 2yrs has gone lower than the Challenger Deep in the Marianas Trench(7mi down). Many of the people here have upgraded their intercoolers and could provide good advice unimpaired by 'conflict of interest.' If you have access to previous MC2 magazines; Matt Richter(Dr Obnxs) did an entire article on intercoolers about 2yrs ago.:Thumbsup:
    :cornut: Jason :cornut:

8. Longboard

Longboard New Member

May 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    MSD and Kingsborne make for a great combo.

2514134a.jpg

9. Sideways

Sideways New Member

May 12, 2009
    Above the Border^^^
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    I have had the ALTA intercooler for a couple of years now...I actually acquired it through a connection of mine. (rumor has it) This was supposed to be the upgraded intercooler the TARGA MINI was going to get before it crashed out in 2008...cant let good parts going to waste:cool:
    I just didn't have an R53 at the time to install it on...
    Now I do:D I already have the ALTA silicone hoses for colour, now i just need to get a die-grinder so i can get the clearance for the new intercooler...

I love my M7 stuff and they are top notch to deal with :ThumbsUp:

10. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0

And I will raise you one MSD coil MSD wire MSD DIS-2, MSD RPM controllers, ALTA IC and CAI..
    Oh and a mystery dyno sheet for a full house.......

:lol: :Thumbsup:

[​IMG]

11. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I'm disappointed...

[​IMG]

12. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    #12 Nitrominis, May 19, 2010
    Last edited: May 19, 2010
    Nathan now I am disappointed in your observations....please note strut towers.

:lol::lol:

13. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
  14. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :Thumbsup:Me too! I have the Alta:CAI,turbo inlet hose,boost tube hoses(which eliminate the turbo muffler and farther down the line the turbo resonator,both worthless pieces of $hi+/expensive solutions to nonexistant problems),and the turbo intercooler air diverter(as in my R56 the intercooler is half blocked/hidden behind the lower bumper. Design flaw).I like them and think that they do help performance and they are nice eye candy.A lot/most of the knowledgeble 'performance people' say that my money would have been better spent else where and they're probably correct but I like them and bought them over 2yrs ago.:cornut: Jason :cornut:

15. Longboard

Longboard New Member

May 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Wow, that is a very interesting museum piece. Now take that thing off the jack stands and run it so it can get dirty :arf:.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours :Thumbsup:

9f571264.jpg

LB

16. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    What? A museum piece.....:lol:

If I did post one of mine this is how it would go down:

You run NOS, that's not fair.... "ok Kool I can understand that an extra 100 + but not more than a 400 push is not reasonable in a comparison."

You run (special?? ) fuel, that's not fair..... "Ok kool but that is how I have it set to run 90% of the time. I can load it on-the-fly, different maps for crap fuel when nothing else is available."

You run LPG, that's not fair..."to bad I built the engine to run this, live with it!"...:lol:

And the all time......
    That's not possible...its an altered dyno sheet, come to my shop and lets see it in person.....:eek:ut::nonod::lol:

Look what you have gone through over the years, you think I want to do that? No way.

I concede you have the best posted sheet I have seen anywhere! :Thumbsup:

17. Jan

Jan Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +382 / 0 / -0
    again...............talk is extremely cheap

18. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :devil::incazzato::mad5::eek6::frown2: Rut Ro! Here we go again!:popcorn: Jason

19. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
  20. Jan

Jan Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +382 / 0 / -0
    anyone can come on here and claim anything.............doesn't mean it's true

some of the claims I have seen here on products just don't even come close in the REAL world:popcorn: