2nd Gen R59 Roadster How does your roadster looks like right now

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by TG., May 25, 2014.

Tags:
  1. TG.

TG. Active Member

Mar 2, 2014
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    Now, since this is the second thread with a role cage I got curious... Googled a few Miata years and realized many Miata generations didn't have a roll bar.

I don't expect every driver to be racing, yet I was surprised by how many Miata accidents there have been just by doing an image search on Miata roll cage. try the MINI roadster and you'll have a hard time finding one.
    Of course the Miata has been sold in much greater numbers to the MINI roadster, so it's natural there will be statistically more accidents.

It does make one wonder how effective roll bars are on the MINI? I'm sure it is good not to get crushed. But how is it going to really protect a passenger from head injury without the type or retention a sport seat provides?
    It's probably just there to increase your odds.

Overall, I'm not too worried much at all about it anyway since I'm not racing, and don't do a tone of speedy drive. And the odds are still in my favor. But I have asked myself the question :arf:

2. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Stu..stutter...

3. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Couldn't find a roadster rollover test. But here's the first gen cabrio, plus some other cars with active roll hoops. Note that ALL the cars' occupants' heads make lethal contact with the pavement.

[ame="http://youtu.be/K6h7wqLqJ0U"]Rollover test 3 cabrio - Test αναÄÃÂοÀή ÄÃÂιÎν cabrio - ADAC - YouTube[/ame]

Also note that the vast majority of roll-over accidents don't happen on a race track. And many are induced by collision with another vehicle.

There's a reason my car has a roll cage, halo seat, and six-point harnesses. Because that's the only way to reliably survive a rollover incident in pretty much any convertible. I've walked away from one... Because of the first real roll bar and harness.

4. TG.

TG. Active Member

Mar 2, 2014
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    #24 TG., May 9, 2016
    Last edited: May 9, 2016
    I knew you would comment...
    Still no roadster :biggrin5:

Ouch, poor dummy....

What was the circumstances of your roll over? Street or race?

I totally agree a lot of roll over will happen on the road.
    One can never predict being hit by an other vehicle. That said I still think the statistics are in our favor and I'm not going to worry too much about it for as long as I'm an attentive and aware driver, which I am 99% of the time.

5. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I was resisting posting here, but since minimark posted twice here goes. :D

Mine is the one on the right.
    [​IMG]

6. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Twice. Actually I couldn't decide which pic I liked better...so I posted both. Had just taken my dog for a run up to Hanging Rock!

Nice NA by the way! ;)

7. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Here's two more!!! :)[​IMG][​IMG]

8. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009