How Many are too Many? MINI expands line to 7 models

Discussion in 'MINI News and Articles' started by Nathan, Jan 11, 2011.

1. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    S = sluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurp! :devil:

2. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    S = See Ya!!!! :)

3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Last year with my 8 hour drive down to the Dragon I got 35.8MPG, on the drive back I got 39.4MPG.

I bees happy with them numbers.:D

4. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    On my Daily commute which is 30miles one way of fairly smooth freeway I get 33-34mpg.

When I was racing at Willow Springs Raceway (Big Willow) I got 13.5 mpg. I went through an entire tank of gas in 5 run sessions.

Remember: It's not so much what you drive as how you drive it. :)

Me? I like goin fast... :cornut:

5. MINI-motor

MINI-motor New Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I don't see much of a call for these 3
    # Coupester - Due 2011
    # Roadster - Due 2012
    # Paceman - Due 2013

But, I didn't see a call for the Porsche SUV or the Panamerica either...I still prefer the MINI Cooper S

6. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    #26 Minidave, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
    Yes, moving slightly back on topic....

I don't see the model proliferation as a problem per se. I see it as moving into market areas that were closed off to them before - for example, the Countryman's 4 doors and all wheel drive make it a real workable MINI solution to people with small kids and those who live in snow bound areas. Markets the original car did not serve or did not serve well.

The only reason for the 2 dr Countryman that I can see is that it will offer a 2dr sportier alternative to the Countryman - with all wheel drive. But it makes me wonder why they would continue the Clubman.

The previous iterations of all things MINI would not accomodate an AWD system - Getrag's 2003 test version coupe notwithstanding - so now they have it.

The Coupester and Roadster are very low volume niche products, I would not be surprised to see a healthy premium price on these two, so there it's all about the benjamins - and maybe a halo car of sorts if the Coupester gets raced successfully.

Back in the day, you could get classic Mini's in all sorts of iterations, some sold better than others (square nosed Clubmans for example, were not a high point) but all contributed to the bottom line, and all had their supporters within the marque. I don't see it any differently here.

Those who prefer the original are still served, those who's family or road requirements are different have an alternative. Win-win all around, as I see it.

As to the change in design language, I think they did a pretty good job with the 2nd gen cars - I know there are those who hate them - I can't help that, and I don't see the point.

I'm not a fan of the Country/Pace/man series. I hate the roof treatment on the Country/Pace/Coupester...man cars, but I really like the totally retro looking Roadster. Seems there's still something for everyone, only now there's even more everyones who can find something to like. Win.win again...

As I've mentioned in a couple other places, my concern has more to do with the ever upwards price creep, that's where they're gonna lose me - not in the design or model numbers. I guess there's always the used car market.

The one thing it does that's sort of positive is allow them to bring in a smaller car in the future, at a lower/more competetive price point to compete with the Fiat 500's and Toyota iQ's, after all they can always take them "upmarket" too.

7. JCWRocket

JCWRocket Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Orlando
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Thank you sooooo much for saying this! I have quite a few MINI-friends who are not happy about all the new models, because they feel that it takes away from the original intent of the Mini. But I feel it's just a reminder of the fact that the classics had way more than just one body style.

8. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Although I use my car as a DD all year round, and the Roadster would be limiting some what (room wise) I like that car. My TR was the same, but I was young then and now I'm old, so it will work out just fine. :Thumbsup:

Jim

9. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    And I would like one of them to explain this thought to me....

What was the original intent of the MINI?

And how does model proliferation take away from or change it?

It would be one thing if all MINIs were now based on the Countryman, but since the original is still with us, albeit in Gen 2 form, what's now missing that they lament?

10. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I agree with you completely Dave. The new/old MINI is still there. If it were going away, then I would be concerned about the direction they are going, but I see no signs this is going to happen.

Jim