Most liked posts in thread: How much for extended warranty?

1. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    We were quoted $3700. from our dealer after the warranty was up, actually 1 month before it ended, we sold her car. Depending on how long you think you will keep it, I would just wait and extend it when it's time, might want to try a aftermarket also.

2. Z06_Pilot

Z06_Pilot Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jun 12, 2013
    Network Design Engineer
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -0
    ah, that is interesting news. i was told by a couple of sources that the warranty is more expensive when bought after delivery since Mini considers it a used vehicle, but that was obviously not your experience. I would definitely prefer to wait to see what the repair track record ends up being during the standard warranty period.

I would be very interested in hearing about experiences any folks have had with 3rd party options. my initial reaction is that it could end up being a finger pointing match between what Mini(or whatever shop I use) says needs to be fixed and what the 3rd party is willing to pay for...

thanks!

3. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Yes you really need to do your homework when getting a aftermarket warranty. Make sure your local mechanic will be able to do the work. There was going to be no way we would have kept her car without a warranty, some major issues with the R56, she had a 09 MCS BTW. We ended up selling her car and bought a 2006 JCW convertible.

4. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    I have an aftermarket extended warranty on my 2007 Cooper S. I have used it once, at Mini of Plano, and they paid up. I paid $2,050 for 3 years, 36K miles.

I had an aftermarket EW on my 2004 Audi allroad quattro, I paid $3,600 for that one, but they paid out over 5-grand in repair claims over three years.

I bought both warranties from reputable new car dealers. These dealers have service departments, so they check the warranty companies out, since they will have to deal with them when it comes time to file a claim. They don't want to get jacked around any more than I do.

I wouldn't buy online. If I have an issue, I have a local new car dealer to take my car to. They have a vested interest in getting the EW company to do the right thing.

Many, but not all, extended warranties cost more if you buy them AFTER the factory warranty expires. That's a question you need to ask before you run out of factory warranty.

CD

5. Laserboy

Laserboy New Member

May 25, 2013
    Southern Illinois (St. Louis area)
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I paid about $2400 for 8 years/100k miles. This is on a new 2013 Mini "justa" (i.e., non "S") convertible. Note that there's some ambiguity in nomenclature as Mini offers an extension on the "Bonnet to Boot" maintenance as well as a service contract. I would characterize the service contract as the "extended warranty." This covers repairs but not routine maintenance.

Before buying the Mini, I chatted with the gentleman who is keeping my other cars running. He's not the cheapest mechanic around, but I've grown to trust him and am comfortable that he gives good value (cheapest is often not the best value--quality and honesty have to figure in). I asked him about the Mini as seen from the "pit." His assessment, consistent with what I've heard from others, is that they're great cars (yup--lovin' it!) but that repairs are very pricey. So I figured that a service contract could easily save a lot of downstream heartache. I keep cars for a long time (my other car is a VW diesel Golf with 270,000 miles on it that I have no intention of giving up any time soon), so 8 years of predicted ownership is far from unreasonable.

What we always have to recognize in buying things like this is that the folks that offer them have access to loads of statistics and that they're in business to make money--they wouldn't offer the contract if they didn't expect that, on average, they'd make money. But peace of mind doesn't factor into the equation for a corporation while it very much does for me, so the decision to buy the contract was an easy one for me.

Good luck in your purchase and enjoy your new ride!

6. Austinsynthetics

Austinsynthetics Active Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 18, 2012
    Amsoil Distributor and Registered Nurse
    California
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    The price of the warrantees are always negotiable....just depends if who you buying from wants to deal. BUT, really, really ..... Can't stress it enough....read what it covers before purchasing. A fine example, I have of a warrantee that looks pretty good, but will not cover a head job.....unless caused by a mechanical failure of other parts. In my case, I recently burned a valve, with no other issues....it was not be covered.