How to Destory a Thread ...was...The Truth About Valvesprings!

Discussion in 'Politics and other "Messy" Stuff' started by Dr Obnxs, Sep 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan

Jan Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +382 / 0 / -0
    so you say it bogged down up there............

well.......what was it? You just said it bogged down.........
    the rotrex does have an advantage, maybe you should educate yourself before inserting foot into.........

2. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    ...mouth.

Funny that when one watches TV or reads magazines that just about all the major automotive manufacturers such as Audi, Mercedes, BMW, Porsche and Mazda to name a few and automotive products manufacturers of all kinds spend not only millions of dollars on the track but also millions of dollars on touting their envolvement in racing as a way to improve and make their products better on the street......

Have they been wasting their money, has this all been a ruse?

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Thanks to one person this has all gone to hell.

Need some time to think of how to deal with all this. Only on 1st cup of coffee...

Thread closed till I can calm down and deal with it in a proper manner.

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Thread has been reopened.

Some thoughts by me, take it as you will.

Racing does improve the breed, there is no denying that. The question in my mind is do you want to have the latest bleeding edge bits on a street car. Remember these manufacturer based race teams have tons of testing under their belts before most of these parts turn a wheel in anger.

That being said the valve springs in question here are based on proven technology, just new to the MINI realm. We all take and build from whats known in other areas of the automotive world.

I personally see a product like these valve springs as one of those little details that helps. MINI engineers have to make cost/value compromises and for 99.9% of us the OEM valve springs work just fine. There are those that are looking to go the next level and are willing to spend the money for the potential small gains. Its the same many other hobbies. I like to experiment with different tube makes in my amp. The OEM ones are perfectly fine but when I use a 50's era New Old Stock (NOS) Russian made one there are some very slight differences I can hear, but when others listen unless I point to the very slight differences they hear the same with either set.

So who is going to be the one that does the following in one day at one session?

Dyno car as it sits
    Change the valve springs from OEM to beehive ones.
    Dyno the car again.

5. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Soo....

The good points in this thread are:

• Here's an article that explains all about valvesprings, retainers, locks and thier use. This explains the technology to those that don't know much or any about it.
    • I offer a discount on a part to get it out in the field so that there are more voices that can speak to it's benefit.
    • All those with no experience say that they don't need it.
    • One guy who put it on his car, says it is an improvement. Unfortunatly, it's only a subjective impression, so it's open to criticism.
    Why this isn't just "Thanks for the info Matt, I'd love a set!" at best (for me commercially) to "Thanks for the info Matt, I'm looking for more real MINI data" is beyone me.

No one can argue that
    • a lighter valve spring system has benefits.
    • beehive springs with Ti retainers offers the lowest mass valvespring/retainer combo for the Tritec.
    • this lower mass means less stress and wear on the valve train.

The only thing that is open to debate is at what combination of ramp rate (cam profile), valve weight and RPM these deliver torque benefits to the powertrain. These RPM levels will depend on camshaft and valve weight.

That's why I offered the discount. To get those who want more at the top end in modified cars with raised red-lines to get some data that doesn't come from the vendor.

Offer still stands.

Matt

ps One Last thought..... the price point for the set was chosen to be in line with discount pricing on both Supertech and Ferra dual spring set ups. Thing is, most of us with heads buy the stuff as one bundle and never really see them costed out as line items. But if one has the choice of a conventional dual spring and stepped retainer or a beehive with Ti retainer at the same cost, why get the heavier choice?

6. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    United States Navy ..Retired
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    #26 Thumper460, Sep 23, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
    Nate.. dynos will show a bit of power differences, and torque. But it wont show the Harmonics, that over a period of time has PROVEN to be a dis advantage, or spring failure. The manufactures of the SPRING have done the work, the harmonics verifying, the destructive power of said harmonics. The BEEHIVE spring IS NOW in OEM Performance engines.. Ford/ Chevy/ Nissan/ Subaru .. etc. In the Performance Engine , whether American or Rice, or the Eu. the new design Beehive or conical, is becoming the spring of Choice!

The opening POST was to show a few that there is now a new design spring ( actually 10 years old now) that is available for the MINI. And offer it up as a deal for those looking for an optional spring.

All though the sound of 'Dyno', is always a good thing ( until even the dyno can be challenged). AND if a person that buys the spring .. NEEDS to run a dyno ( $150.00 ) install the springs ( 385.00 + plus the labor), then DYNO again ( 150.00 ) just to prove to a few what the manufacture has ALREADY PROVEN thru THEIR design and R&D, seems to be a foolish way to disclaim results. Not to say expensive to the driver.

AS the r53 and r50s become more into professional Racing, there will be a lot of other products coming out. The Idea, that in order to suggest the benefit of, or the reliability of, or use for, is to run a dyno... is just plain idiotic. This is the ONLY platform where a few people try to challenge a new product by Dyno. And Most of the viewing public KNOWS this.

IF you feel the stock spring set is good, then this is just an informative thread. IF you have been waiting for a new spring design to help push you engine further.. then this thread could be your answer. Kudos to Dr.0 for posting the information... however, it ISNT the only article written on the beehive/ conical springs and their benefits.. check it out yourself.

Thanks Nate!!

Just me........................................

Thumper

PS: some costs: ( there are no sets JUST for the r50/r53) other than the sets offered by Dr.O and myself.) springs $215.00 to $249.00 a set of 16. Titianium retainers: $200.00- 285.00 !! of course you can find deals.. this is just an idea IF there were any out there on the market!!
    Thumper

7. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    True comparison would be to have three sets of springs: #1 being a new set off OEM springs, #2 Matt's springs and #3 a set of supertech springs.

A comparison between a new set of Matt's springs and a set of OEM's with about 60,000 miles on them would hardly be fair....

If the vendors cover the cost of the springs, installation and dyno time in the interest of the Mini community I will donate my time and car for the test comparison. And yes I would want to be able to keep the winner... :)

Dan at Grassroots garage in Thomasville could do the work and just around the corner from him is SpeedWerks where Andy the owner could conduct the Dyno pulls. Please note that SpeedWerks is a Porsche racing shop so he would have no dog in this fight.

The two loosing spring sets could be auctioned off and the proceeds donated to a charity of the members here choosing in M/A's name....

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Motoring Alliance will donate $100 to this cause with the caveat that any references to the test are linked back to M/A.

I also have a set of OEM Springs sitting in a box on the shelf in the garage with only about 1200 miles on them that can be used if needed.

9. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Please note my edit at the bottom.

10. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Really hate to get back into this but why should Jan and his boys always get the last word? Dude if you could read I said, "well NOT to say it bogged down up there". So
    I repeat, it did not bog down. And "maybe you should educate yourself before inserting foot into.........", as you have proven you know nothing about valve spring technology.

11. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    jimiinni, I really hate to point fingers..we have moved on, please do the same and lets look at the constructive aspect of the thread.

Your patience and support in this manner are appreciated.

12. Jan

Jan Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +382 / 0 / -0
    this is exactly why the people SELLING the product should test it first. It's not the public's job to do it for THEM! I'm sorry but I have paid thousands of dollars dyno testing parts to make sure they work. Then money testing them on the track.

I just can't see the consumer spending money without some form of proof. That ......... is just IDIOTIC imho. I really don't understand why offering SOME form of proof is so hard? If it truly works then what's the harm?

Dyno's were invented to test cars in a way that gives scientific data behind it. Not using a tool like this to make your parts better is bad judgement or worse.

I guess this is where OUR differences lie. I'm willing to test parts before selling them and you aren't. Using the excuse that this part works great on another vehicle just doesn't cut it. People are buying parts for THEIR Mini not some V-8 warrior.

I tested a twinscrew for months now.......guess what......even though I had orders for over 20 of them right now. I'm not selling it because it DIDN'T pass MY testing. Was it better than stock? Sure, but not up to the standards of what I think people will expect for the money spent. I catch a bunch of flak but none of you are privy to all of the products we test. I can guarantee it would make most of your heads spin.

just my .02 for a better product

thanks for listening to my point of view
    jan

13. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    The testing of these springs has well been established throughout the industry.

FACT: The PAC spring are used in 90% of the engines in NHRA . While not publicized because of politics in NASCAR the PSI spring is notably the advertised predominate user but I think we may see this in car sponsorship contingency and not actual physical use? This is what was hinted to me by PAC spring. Most in professional racing teams are not going to divulge what is in their engines anyway.
    There is and has always been a cost factor to offering beehive springs. Unless you are buying thousands at a time to get the deep discounts it makes the springs expensive to offer on a performance production head for a MINI. The company Crower Cams & Equipment that uses PAC as their #1 spring and is one of PAC’s largest if not the biggest buyer of their springs. So MM gets them at a cost value to offer an affordable retail NS Spring kit through suppliers.
    FES Auto : Resellers
    Searching other car forums although mostly V-8 related you will see the rave is Beehive springs. And you would also find that more “butt” dyno reports about the feel are reported over actual chassis dyno reports. And not one MINI parts supplier does the proper( or has ever posted) testing of engine parts which would be on an engine dyno . DYNO manufacture suppliers will tell you that the use of chassis dyno’s are for hp wars and to help adjust by way tuning for more power. Not to test individual parts performance levels.
    The Beehive spring technology is not new to the performance world or the benefits of using them along with Titanium Retainers only new for the R50/R53 Chrysler 1.6 MINI engine.

The testing of these springs has well been established throughout the industry.

Information website:
    Crower.com | Welcome to Crower Cams and Equipment Co. Inc
    PAC Racing Springs - The world's premier valve spring manufacturer.
    Dynapack Chassis Dynamometers
    Mustang Dynamometer / Mustang Advanced Engineering
    DYNOmite Dynamometer - Chassis Dyno & Engine Dynamometer...

14. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I hear all sides on this and the same thing is being said over and over again.

The trick now is to how to move forward, not rehash the same thing again and again.

If you have nothing new to add then this is the time to keep the keys from clinking.

15. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I did some more digging...

Ferrea offers Pacalloy beehives.....
    Lunati offers Pacalloy beehives....
    Comp Cams isn't saying where they get thier springs....

some other articles...

Beehive vs Cylindrical Valvespring Comparison - Test - Corvette Fever Magazine

Valve Spring Upgrade - Beehive Valvesprings for the Vortec V8 - Car Craft Magazine

This thread on a Harley forum has a great quote at post #14....

Anyway, like some others point out, this isn't new tech, it's just new tech to the MINI aftermarket.

Here's some of Ferrea's marketing spin....

Ferrea Beehive Valve Springs
    Acura/Honda/Mitsubishi
    Ferrea Racing Components introduces our new PAC Alloy Beehive Valve Spring series for the Sport compact performance street/strip applications. These single Beehive form valve springs are designed and optimized to reduce valvetrain harmonics, provide greater spring stability, and reduce spring and retainer masses for increase performance and durability in today’s harsh engines environments.

PAC Alloy Beehive Valve Springs are developed from premium grade super-clean PAC Alloy material designed for racing applications. These valve springs are crafted using the latest technology in manufacturing and processing techniques through the use of state-of-the-art equipment unmatched throughout the industry. Our springs are progressively coiled with tighter tolerances, heat treated, stress relieved, and multistage shot peen for extended life and durability. Strict quality control procedures and cycle testing ensures consistency
    from batch-to-batch.

We have expanded our valve spring line offering PAC Alloy Beehive Ovate (Oval/Multi-Radius) wire shape designed to withstand aggressive endurance requirements. Key advantages in using an ovate wire shape are better heat dissipation for longer life, and valvetrain stresses are more effectively distributed over the entire wire shape extending spring life and enabling more horsepower. They have the highest level of fatigue resistance available, while minimizing load loss for today’s aggressive valvetrain combinations.

So, this tech is going into all the Japanese performance arenas as well. The message is the same all over: Less mass = more control and more durability. Beehives have less issues with harmonics.

So in the MINI world, someone brings innovative technology to our marketplace. the debate ensues about if it's worth it, or a good idea, or of any benefit at all. The rest of the world doesn't care about what we think, and the technology conversion is continuing. Beehives are in racing, in OEM cars, and now are available for the MINI market. The Ovate wire Pacalloy springs are being resold by several of the "standard" names in valve train technology. I guess they must suck really, really bad.

Matt

16. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Well if you noticed I said, Jan's race products don't mean crap for our cars. Duh... race products help all car products....I mean look at Cosworth....one of top engine builder's, if not the top builder in F1 history.

17. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    But Nate...

By this standard, 95% of internet discussions would be gone, and about 99% of internet forum discussion oosts would have to go the way of the Dodo too! Just think of the savings in hard disk space!!!!!

Matt

18. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Some days it's good to be king...

Closed again whilst I fashion a response.

19. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    #39 Nathan, Sep 23, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
    Just as it comes to me in no particular order.

Ya'll, for the most part have kept me from getting anything done today. In fact when I woke up at like 4am to relive myself I made the mistake of looking at the email on the phone. The next few hours of sleep were not fitful, I had nightmares about reported posts and PM's only to wake to same.

jimmini - Thanks for being the one that installed these first. However, I have huge doubts in your inherent ability to feel a difference. You are not a trained test driver and the differences these springs could offer even by Doc O's own stated hypothetical gains can easily be an ambient temp difference. Butt Dynos are calibrated by Credit Card dents. I'm sorry, I just can't comfortably rely on your reports in this matter.

Doc O - I'm not doubting the beehive spring is a better mousetrap. These using them in racing circles whether straight line, oval or turning both ways would not go the the extra expense if there was not a positive influence. But these are the same people that are looking to eek out every single potential gain, often to extremes of what is needed to get to the store of a 6 pack and back.

Thumper - Theory is good and all, but selling based on theory with no real world data on the engine we use is only going to make people question it more. Test, Prove, Sell, then get the testimonials from the client. To small to afford the testing, get more people to use the product quietly, when there is a user base that have shown there is a positive effect then the full press marketing.

Nitrominis - You are to close, this is yet another NS branded product. We've discussed that you need to let the sales channels disseminate the info. There are times to walk away and let others be the mouthpiece, this is again one of those times.

Jan - If Nitrominis invented water you would drink anything but. Let face it, no matter what it is that has even a scent of Lynn's involvement you will not be open to it. Be that as it may there is a time and place. Your heads have supertech springs I believe. they work well but there may be a better alternative. Now someone will point out I had a spring break in a RMW head. I'll counter with "yeah so". It was one and it happens, I also broke a wheel at the hub, not every item is always perfect, things break. I can't point the finger at Jan on this. How many other Supertech springs out there work fine day after day. So if anyone wants to use my one broken spring as fodder, not gonna float.

Now as to the springs themselves. We as a population keep finding new and improved ways of doing things. Just look at Laundry Detergents, they are always being improved. We now use a product that is safer for the environment, uses less packaging and does a better a job at cleaning our clothes while using less of the product. The same can be said about spring technology. New shapes in wire and overall design give us stronger materials that are lighter and more efficient. While the transfer from NHRA to a tracked MINI is a long stretch the fact is the technology transfer happens and it is better for all in the long run.

So where are we now...

We have a product that may benefit a few right now. It makes sense to test and try these springs if you have the wherewithal to do so. To me they are no brainer if I had the cash and the need. First off they are lighter in weight. This is a good thing as it reduces the mass that has to stop, change direction start, accelerate to top velocity thousands of times a minute. If my math is correct each spring does this 1250 times per minute at 5000 RPM. I have no qualms in being corrected here.

There are other inherent gains that have been proven on other engines. It does behoove us to try it on the engine we use to see if there gains over the status quo at the same price point.

A testing session has been put on the table. I've offered, through M/A, $100 to help out and loan a set of OEM springs if needed. I'll also help write the article.

Now is the time to rise above egos and do something to advance the bar.

20. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    What extra expense?

The springs as I sell them are about the same price. Not only are a lot of racers using them, but more and more OEMs are using them. Why? Because of the decreased stress on the valvetrain means that they provide more durability!

Really, I'm thinking there will be a time when we have even more grey hair and we're all sitting around the internet "campfire" when one of us says "Things were so bad when I got into MINIs that the head builders didn't even use beehive springs!" And we'll all laugh at how primitive we were.....

This will be right before the next person says that they had to walk uphill both too and from school.

Matt