Interior 2nd Gen Most liked posts in thread: How to: Installing aftermarket seats R56 - Motoring Alliance Exclusive!!

1. Ryephile

Ryephile New Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Yes!
    Metro Detroit
    Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    Very nice write-up! It looks like you did a very nice job, and kudos for retaining all the factory seatbelt/airbag stuff. I only have one concern; not using the seats lap-belt slots means the lap belt might not be as effective as the stock seats, since the belt is straddling the seat side bolsters and not fully wrapping around the occupants' hips.

FYI: the Sparco Evo seat side mounts aren't exactly parallel, as you discovered. This means the rails going to the floor must be slotted in order to fit the "square" footprint of the MINI. Not a big deal as you found out, but that's why.

It sounds like your install was relatively easy since you kept the stock sliders, seat belts, and just transferred with passenger occupant sensor.

Congrats again on the successful installation!
    Cheers,
    Ryan

2. YesIFit

YesIFit New Member

May 25, 2009
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Nicely Done B....

3. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Thanks!

I was initially concerned about the seat belt height as well. For the record, I am 6'5" weight 210 with a 34" waist. The belt seems to snug up pretty well. I have hips that stick over the top of the seat. If one was more concerned with this you could easily unbolt the bottom of the stock belt and route it through the lab belt slots. You could do the same with the receiver.

4. M3This

M3This New Member

May 14, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just to add as a FYI ... Im trying not to have to rip my seat apart of the weight sensor so I ordered part # 521022755393

[​IMG]

RealOEM.com BMW R56 Coop.S JCW Seat, front, seat frame

From Jayson At Classic Mini for $103.24

Only thing I cant tell thou is if it includes the control module and connector, as I dont see any additional part numbers for that stuff on realoem

5. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I know the description looks correct, but the part doesn't look anything like the seat sensor. From talking with the dealer they indicated it was only sold with the whole seat cushion and cover. After talking it apart that would make sense with what I saw.

Hopefully it will be the correct part... oh, the dealer also said something about the sensor being coded to the vehicle, and it would require me to pay them to re-code the weight sensor.

6. M3This

M3This New Member

May 14, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yea but the seat position sensor doesn't look anything like the diagram eaither. I should have it in two weeks. So Ill post photos once I get it. :D

7. M3This

M3This New Member

May 14, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #8 M3This, Jul 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2011
    Here is the sensor that came when I ordered that part:

What do you think?

it looks different then yours but the plug looks similar.

8. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    It definitely is different..... but it is definitely also a weight sensor. Doesn't really make sense that they would manufacture two different parts that do the same thing.

I think the only way to know for certain, would be to plug it in and see if it 1) throws a code and 2) actually detects weight in the seat. It's hard to tell from the picture how large it is, but it looks a little bit smaller... which is a good thing if you are trying to fit it into a fixed back seat.... I think I remember that you are getting a set of recaro's, leather with red stitching? the pic that I saw looks awesome!

Let me know how it turns out.

9. M3This

M3This New Member

May 14, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yea my seats are in, but Im waiting on the passenger side brackets. I guess Ill try the sensor out and see how it goes.

BTW what size drill bits did you use to mount the seat belts (female part)

10. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I will have to double check, I can tell you that that steel that the BK brackets are made out of is super hard. You are going to need a carbide or diamond tipped bit to get through it. Two actually, one for the bolt that holds the actual bracket on and another for the bolt that keeps it aligned.

11. M3This

M3This New Member

May 14, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sounds good. Keep me posted on the sizes please :D:Thumbsup:

12. putterfarm

putterfarm New Member

May 18, 2009
    Bum.
    Pittsfield, Pa.
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    nice, very nice. You have more patience than I do :crazy:

13. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    The bit I used for the main bolt was a 3/8" carbide bit. I used a 10mm bolt, I think the length was 30mm but I can't remember for sure.... I know I purchased two sizes, the longer one that I did not use was the 40mm, I am pretty sure the shorter one that I used was 30mm. For the smaller bolt, I used a 1/4" carbide bit and a 6mmx30mm bolt.

14. M3This

M3This New Member

May 14, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Perfect! Thank you! :cornut:

Got my other bracket in today, so I might start working on them tonight. :D

15. M3This

M3This New Member

May 14, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Update: That seat sensor doesnt work. Totally different plug :(

16. M3This

M3This New Member

May 14, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Is it 2.2 Ohm or 2.2K Ohm .... as I couldnt find any 2.2 Ohm at Radio Shack last night :confused5:

Edit: is this is???

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062325

17. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Sorry to hear that... but glad I didn't tear apart my passenger seat for nothing. Will the dealer take it back?
    2.2Ohm not KOhm. I got mine at Frys, don't know if you have those where you are at. I would really have thought that Radio Shack would carry those. They are small, but not out of the ordinary.

18. M3This

M3This New Member

May 14, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yea there is a Frys here. Im calling them now :arf:

No returns on air bag related items :cryin: .... it was at least worth a try thou

19. M3This

M3This New Member

May 14, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Found the resistors at Frys .... they only had one pack with exactly two in it.

I didnt measure my seats at all as I dont own a reader but the 2.2Ohm 1/2 watt 5% worked perfectly, as I dont have any airbag lights :)

It took a while to get everything together, but the drivers seat is MUCH easier then the passenger one.

I will post photos later on tonight.

20. M3This

M3This New Member

May 14, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    BTW ... I just thought about this this morning ...

For the people that buy the JCW seats ... what do they do about the weight sensor? What about the side air bags?

Is the OEM part to fix all this?