How to Polish the OctaneGuy Way: HD VIDEO

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Octaneguy, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    #1 Octaneguy, Apr 8, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
    Just wanted to share my latest HD video, 10 minutes from an 18 hour paint polishing restore of a 2004 BMW 330 CI using Prima. Hope you enjoy.

I did pull out Meguiar's M105 and a 3" wool pad for a few moments to pull out some very deep scratches but otherwise it's all Prima. And in hindsight, the M105 didn't even work that well, I probably could have done without it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwHJJh9Gl1g"]YouTube - Richard Lin Paint Polishes a 2004 BMW 330CI with Prima[/ame]

2. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Really nice ! You make it look so easy! Great product!

3. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Richard, I'm inspired to go out and try that, one of these days :D

Beautiful detailing.

4. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Great thanks guys! Just get out there and try it, lol. It IS easy! :D

5. Boxcars

Boxcars New Member

May 27, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi Richard,
    looks awsome.
    what did you use on the wheels??
    boxcars

6. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Thanks! I used Meguiar's Professional Wheel Brightener in a 4:1 dilution to remove the caked on brake dust. Just spray on and rinse 95% of the dust off. Then I used a small soft brush to remove the rest of it. At the end of the restore, I used Hydro on the wheels as shown in the video to protect them and remove any residual dust I may have missed during the wash.

7. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Looks great Richard:Thumbsup: That kind of work is relatively easy to do, and folks should not be afraid of doing it. But is does take time, that was many hours of work edited down to 9 minutes.

Mark

8. versus

versus Active Member

Sep 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    I noticed outmotoring has a lot of the goods I assume one would need to do a similar job. Any place else I should check before I try to give this a go?

9. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    It would be self defeating if I didn't mention that I'm a vendor/sponsor here.

Check out ShowCarSupplies.com Shopping Cart for the goods and ShowCarDetailing.com for my detailing discussion forum. You're not going to find any better support on polishing paint from any vendor than from me. I can guarantee that. :D

Richard

10. versus

versus Active Member

Sep 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    You're the man! :Thumbsup:

11. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Hey OG,

That looks suspiciously like a trailer! :D Will we have availability to the entire video? I'm assuming for a nominal fee (and completely understandable for sharing your expertise)

12. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Very perceptive! I used a feature of the Flip called Magic Movie that kind of just pulls random sections of clips I like into a little montage. It's a VERY fast way for me to get content out there without spending a lot of time editing and making it perfect. However I also intended to have a full length version that will probably end up on Youreeeka Sell Video online, monetize online video content, Pay Per View video streaming, make money on the internet with online video a pay per view player. It won't be very expensive, but I haven't figured any of that out yet. I've been a member for the past year, but haven't uploaded anything, lol.

13. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
  14. galoki

galoki New Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Zen and the Art of Show Car Detailing! awesome stuff.

15. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Excellent work there Octanedude!

16. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Haha
    Thanks!!

17. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Richard

I noticed in your excellent video that you had some fancy tool for measuring the paint depth on a vehicle. I've always wondered if using things like a 7424 to remove scratches or even just regular polishing, is thinning the depth of the clearcoat over time? I'm sure if used improperly that's a strong possibility, but I'm just wondering about whether that happens even with proper use.

Its strange but I spoke to 3 detailers in Vancouver and they always just do everything by hand. I'm sure not with the same results as you get.

18. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I needed the gauge because I was removing a lot of paint to improve the very bad scratches on the trunk area. While most people would say the 7424 won't reduce the clearcoat thickness, to me, it does matter what you're polishing with. If you use Cut with a Yellow pad, you will be removing more paint than Swirl with an Orange or White pad. Foamed wool pads can also be used with a PC that will remove more paint than just foam. I'd say that if you're just using a white or orange pad with Swirl, you don't really need to be concerned with paint thickness, but anything more aggressive, it's not a bad idea to keep an eye on it.

As far as detailers who work by hand, they will never achieve the same results by hand as you could machine polishing. These guys rely on products with fillers and concealers to improve the finish. They probably use paste waxes too.

Richard

19. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Richard :Thumbsup:

20. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    The hand detailers/slightly better than a wash guys, do not do machine polishing because; A, they don't know how to. B, it takes time, and they are all about quick turnover, not quality.

They mostly think clay is mud, not a detailing product:frown2:.

Mark