Interior 1st Gen How to program windows comfort access?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by buttonbag, Apr 11, 2014.

1. buttonbag

buttonbag Active Member

Apr 5, 2013
    Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    I swear to God, I have seen instructions on how to do this and now I can't find it anywhere (Google is failing me).

The first thing I did to my MINI is program the windows to go down using the remote key fob (by following a series of rolling the windows up and down while the key was in the second position). After the dealer updated the ECU for some reason, it wiped the program clean. I figured for a few months I wasn't going to miss it anyway so I decided I just wasn't going to have it anymore. Now, here I am loosing sleep over this because it turns out, I really do miss having that option. Anyway, long story short, does anybody know how to program the windows like I've described? I know there is a way to do it without having to connect some sort of device because I've done it myself. Just can't find it online anymore.

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I have not idea how you did it without turning on options without a laptop. Sorry I cannot help. :eek:

3. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    No clue but bumping it up

4. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    The feature is called "comfort opening" (not comfort access, which is the keyless option on 2nd gen). Like Dave, I've only known it as a feature that must be programmed through a computer (e.g. by the dealer). This matches up with what I'm finding through Google.

There is a procedure similar to what you've described, to recalibrate the open and closed position of the window. Is it possible that was what you were doing before?

5. buttonbag

buttonbag Active Member

Apr 5, 2013
    Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    It might not be possible anymore since they updated the ECU but I remember after doing it, the windows rolled down and then up by themselves to confirm that it was activated. It was the coolest thing. Then I told everyone in the house that it worked and showed it to them that I can open the windows without being in it. Closing was a different story but still.

6. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    If you come to the Dragon Mike w/Helix can program the one touch up and down for your MINI. He can also program it to open and close all the windows including the sunroof from your key.

He did it on my car and it works great.

7. buttonbag

buttonbag Active Member

Apr 5, 2013
    Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    As a matter of fact, this year will be my first year at the Dragon. This sounds like the perfect solution!

8. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    IT - Complex business systems in the cloud
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    We're talking first gen (R50/R53) MINIs here? I thought you can open the windows with your remote was standard.

On my car. Press the unlock button on your remote to unlock your door. Then press again and hold the unlock button for about 5 seconds. The windows will roll down and if you have a sunroof, the roof will open.

Or was it something else you were looking for?

9. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    It's an option that can be programmed on or off by the dealer (or possibly by some sequence that the OP mentioned). The factory default setting was off.

10. buttonbag

buttonbag Active Member

Apr 5, 2013
    Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    ^^ Correct. When I first bought mine, it wasn't activated until a few days later when I found a sequence to activate it.

11. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
  12. Different Computers

Different Computers New Member

Apr 7, 2014
    Mac Guy
    Troy, VA
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    I've got another twist on this. While at a mechanic's place, I mentioned my doors won't unloc from the remote. He messed around with the remote from outside the car, variously locking & unlocking the door manually and pressing the key button. Now, my remote makes the actuators click, but nothing else happens.

Nevertheless, he managed to get the car to respond through some series of button presses he called "programming mode". The doors still only tried to work, but suddenly the sunroof retracted and the windows rolled down.

This wasn't permanent and I don't know what combination of presses he used, but what I witnessed flies in the face of the received wisdom that it's necessary to get 1st Gen MINIs reprogrammed at the dealer!

I'll follow up with the mechanic, but it's a little awkward because I'm now using another shop, the amazing and highly recommended Cosner Brothers Auto Parts.

13. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    #13 Dave.0, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    Just so you know that hitting a lot of buttons can confuse the remote & the computer and put it in a "time out" mode. I bet you did that and it closed the roof and put the windows down so you still had access to the car and were not locked out. With the windows open you can reach in and unlock the door manually or use the key in the drivers door lock.

*** Also my first Gen R53 does that also. Most cars had this enabled and its easy to do. Unlock the car with the remote then push and hold the unlock button a second time and the windows will go down and the sunroof will open.

Making the windows go back up and closing the sunroof needs to be done by someone that does coding of the fist Gen R53's and Mike at Helix can do it as he has set mine up to do just that.

14. Different Computers

Different Computers New Member

Apr 7, 2014
    Mac Guy
    Troy, VA
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    That explains a lot--except that the mechanic got the sunroof to open that way.

15. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    The sunroof will open when you hit the unlock button a second time and hold it down. It will open as the windows go down.

In some states like Calf this option may not have been turned on by default because of some wacky Calf law, but all the people I have spoken to that do not live is Calf had this option on by default.

16. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Many folks got BIT by having auto open turned on...was an option...
    IF IT IS TURNED ON and you have tight pants...or your WIFE has a set of keys in her purse...and the button is held down...
    the car can see the "OPEN"signal....and open everything...even in the rain...there is a post year...was once nearly monthly when the cars were new...flooded car....
    I always found the RANGE to be too short to be useful.....

17. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Mine does not work that way you have to unlock the car twice and hold the unlock button a looooooooooong time to have everything completely open.

If NAM users had an issue that explains a lot because they are idiots. :lol: I hate that site.

18. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    It is a funny post when it happens (as long as it was not raining)...folks posting about "haunted MINI's".....usually tracked down to a tight pants wearing owner or a wife with a MINI key in the bottom of a purse..getting squished...remember a few posts of a few THOUSAND $$$ in repairs....
    Yeah...it is SLOW...heck...with about a 20 FOOT range....you can get in the car...SIT DOWN, START it...and do it manually about as fast as the key-fob auto open.....
    Always wondered WHY the option was included...:idea: maybe so they could list it like VW since THEIR FOBs do it too...

Well...NAM makes me laugh....but keeps me busy...boredom between trips can be a pain....
    gotta love the $200 E-bay headers folks buy then complain about fitment and a Check-engine light, then wonder WHY they didn't gain power...then have it warp in 2 years......lol...One can Guide a Horse to water, but cannot make it drink....
    So many good cars have been destroyed by incompetent modders on NAM IMO...but I guess they OWN it...

19. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Yeah I always love the OBX & Megan header is the same as the RMW header at a 3rd the cost so why buy the RMW header threads. :rolleyes::nonod::lol: Yeah you keep thinking that and let me know how that works for you. :lol: I always SMH and face palm that one.

Right now they have a thread on the NAM about the above and they guy removed his coolant tank and PS tank and sledge hammered his firewall and heat shield so he could get the header in the car. He said this is a "known process" for installing ANY aftermarket header on a any MINI. I LMFAO and said ok carry on you know much more than me. :lol::lol::lol:

20. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Ok I'll admit I have OBX headers.:blush2: They went right in! Ok not really I didn't beat or cut or undo anything. After about an hour of trying to wiggle them in, I talked my wife into seeing if she could see a way to get them in. She likes puzzles. after working together for almost another hour I said I give up. After I climbed out from under the car she yells I got. Ever sense then I have told her she gives good header.:lol::lol: