1st Gen How to record exhaust sound?

Discussion in 'Photos and Video' started by drPhilGandini, Jun 11, 2009.

1. drPhilGandini

drPhilGandini MINI of the Month May 2009

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #1 drPhilGandini, Jun 11, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
    I'm a video idiot (vidiot). Not too shabby with a still camera, but when it comes to the movies, I'm out. So, what do I need and how do I record my exhaust sound?
    At the moment all I have is a Blackberry with video and an iPhone with video. Surely these can't be good enough to get even those Utube videos that are entertaining and reasonable?

cheers, and TIA

2. Rooster

Rooster New Member

May 22, 2009
    Systems Engineer
    West Hollywood, CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Dr. Phil,

The GoPro hero camera has been very popular recently... I went with the Flip Ultra HD instead... but may end up letting the wife take ownership and get a GoPro Hero as well.

Here are some short clips of the Flip in action, attached to a Kuda GPS mount.
    It has a standard tripod attachment on the bottom as well, but I haven't picked up a mount for that yet!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZBRihhIVvw"]YouTube - Mini Cooper in the Garage sample clip from a Flip Ultra HD camera.[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRfbYeYCypA"]YouTube - Mini Cooper on the street sample clip from a Flip Ultra HD camera.[/ame]

Otox just posted up a clip from his GoPro Hero - Wide, with the external waterproof housing and suction cup as well...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDK4fmVhSs4"]YouTube - hero wide just outta the box test drive[/ame]

3. drPhilGandini

drPhilGandini MINI of the Month May 2009

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks! I really appreciate the low down.

Phil

4. Uncle

Uncle New Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    The sound seems pretty crappy. Does the GoPro camera offer an external jack for a mic for possible better sound quality?

5. Rooster

Rooster New Member

May 22, 2009
    Systems Engineer
    West Hollywood, CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't believe that it does... I know the Flip does not.

When the camera in mounted on my dashboard, it is protected from most of the wind noise, even with the top down.

I've also been experimenting with attaching the camera to the rear roll bar, but at any speeds over 5mph and the wind noise is atrocious when the top is down, even though the views are great!

But hey, for the $100-$200 range, they both seem to work very well!

6. AllBlack05S

AllBlack05S New Member

May 18, 2009
    Selling Harley parts worldwide
    Bartlett, Il
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    To solve the wind noise issue, you could hook up a laptop with an external wired mic toss it in the boot with the wire and mic taped to the rear bumper. Record the audio portion (GarageBand works for this on a mac) then just sync up the sound in the video editing software of your choice (iMovie for example).

7. Rooster

Rooster New Member

May 22, 2009
    Systems Engineer
    West Hollywood, CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good idea!
    I'll have to give it a try. Any recommendations for a microphone, or will any one do, since it'll be out of the wind and on the rear bumper?

8. orangecrush

orangecrush New Member

May 13, 2009
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    #8 orangecrush, Jun 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  9. oxtox

oxtox New Member

May 12, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #9 oxtox, Jun 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
    sound

i'm pretty disappointed with the sound myself. there is no external mic option for the gopro hero wide (nor are there any ports for expansion/connections, save for the usb). if any of you have heard my car before, you know how loud it is:D this thing doesn't do it any justice. turning the sound setting to "high" only results in a ton of wind noise.

i'd like to capture better sound. but i use this thing mostly for the track....so no one's gonna be in the car with me, and no lap top would survive.

btw, here's a vid with my 11 y.o. holding the sony digital movie camera...notice the vibration when i rev the engine, and how he falls back when i hit third:D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hAwtxOIlg4"]YouTube - mynes header video[/ame]

anyone got some other ideas???

10. WolfGTI

WolfGTI Active Member

May 21, 2009
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +217 / 0 / -0
    He falls back because you blew out his eardrums --- :D:D:D

11. oxtox

oxtox New Member

May 12, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    :lol::lol::lol: not ideas about the video you knuclehead!:smilewinkgrin:

btw, did you hear that dave (he who teased me daily at motd about how loud my car is) is getting the mynes stepped header? i think he's just trying to be mo' louder. hope you are enjoying your ride after the tune. i'll be at lightning sat the 20th if you're in the area!

12. Zyamfier

Zyamfier New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #12 Zyamfier, Aug 20, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
    Exhaust video shot with a Sony HDR-SR10 then edited in iMovie. This was a before after I did before installing a Magnaflow CAT back. (listen for the little birds)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYmDC3vgW0o&"]YouTube - Magnaflow[/ame]
    This was shot with a Flip Ultra mounted just to the side of the exhaust at one of my track days. Edited in iMovie.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvZqteXQ_o8&eurl"]YouTube - Motorsport Park Hastings MINI followed by a 350Z w/o music[/ame]
    Hope that helps.