1st Gen "How To" How To: Replace Coolant Expansion Tank (Gen1)

Slide2.jpg
My coolant expansion tank split along the seam so I replaced it. Here is the DIY "for dummies" with pics! Maybe it will help someone...
By Ofioliti · Jan 25, 2018 ·
  1. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    I want to replace my coolant expansion tank, which has finally split along the seam.

I've searched around and there doesn't seem to be a how-to. But I've inferred from threads here and there that you simply siphon off the coolant in the tank, unclamp hoses, replace tank, and refill. Is that all?

Oh, and I am guessing the clamps cannot be reused, so will proper size generic clamps from the auto parts store work fine? Other tips/advice is appreciated.

(I'll take pics and post the step-by-step when I get around to it since there doesn't seem to be a diy for dummies that I can find.)

2. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    You got it. It is a very easy task not much technical skill needed. You should be fine? :Thumbsup:

3. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    OK, thank!

I'll let you know what I broke. :lol:

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Why go with something as mundane as a generic auto parts store clamp when you can get these.

[​IMG]

Rolled edges do not dig in and cut hoses.

Worm gear pressed into clamp instead of cut grooves that can bite into the hose.

7mm slotted hex worm drive

316 stainless steel

It's the only clamp I use on my MINI.

5. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    ^ Cool. Thanks. I recall that you had posted something on clamps on the sewing site---just couldn't find the thread.

Where can I score these?

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Oh yeah, the brand is ABA.

West Marine carries them as well as the Ultimate Garage. Careful on the Ultimate Garage site, the Lista Cabinets and Facom tools can be intoxicating and wallet emptying.

7. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    They come in all sizes including for radiator hoses or larger. I use them as well on almost every hose. But I must use the SS and not the neat color collar because they DON'T come in RED! :frown5:

8. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
  9. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    I went this way for your reasons and a few others...

[​IMG]

10. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    The clamps are not single use, I’ve reused mine many times; the constant tension clamp expands and contracts in response to thermal changes so it will not damage the hose, nothing inferior about the OE clamp for this application.

11. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the tips, guys.

The aluminum tanks look great. Unfortunately I already have a new replacement oem plastic tank. It is supposed to be sealed better than the older ones. We'll see ...

12. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Well if it lasts as long as the original, your good for another 7 years.

Mark

13. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
  14. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
  15. imspencerwithanr53

imspencerwithanr53 New Member

May 27, 2009
    Barista
    Portland, OR
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    yes, there is a lot of pressure in there... trust me :mad2:

16. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Keith and others, just curious, it's not clear to me how the stocks clamps work. I don't see what's holding the clamp tight (except for the the rigidity of the clamp itself). Is that right?
    lowerexpansiontankclamp.jpg upperexpansiontankclamp.jpg

Oh, and is there a special tool needed to get the clamps on? Thanks!

17. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The OEM are a spring type clamp that use the tension created in the manufacture of the clamp to hold spring pressure.

I beleive there is a special tool for this type of clamp by a pair of pliers works fine. Just squeeze the tabs together and slide the clamp down the hose some for safe keeping while changing the bottle. The squeeze the tabs back together and slide into place when ready.

18. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    I see. That makes sense with what Keith said about the clamps being able to expand. Thanks!

19. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    #19 Ofioliti, Mar 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2010
    Got around to replacing the tank this evening. Here is the DIY "for dummies" with pics! Maybe it will help someone...

First, make sure the engine is cool. Let the car rest for an hour or so to be sure the coolant isn't hot.

Remove the coolant from the tank. I used a cheap "turkey baster" from a hardware store:

[​IMG]

Remove the upper hose from the expansion tank. The oem hose clamp is loosened by squeezing the two tabs together with pliers. You can slip the clamp down the hose then pull the hose off:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next, remove the nut holding the tank to the car:

[​IMG]

Now, you need to lift the tank off of two holders underneath and remove the lower hose attached to the tank. The tank has two "nipples" just sitting in two holes of the holders (see picture further down when the tank is removed).

The ignition coil pack is kinda in the way to remove the tank and work on the hose, so I removed the coil pack. I first unhooked the battery. Maybe this wasn't necessary, but I didn't want to be screwing with the electrical components while the battery was attached. Since this is "for dummies" the battery is in the boot (for the Cooper S) :lol::

[​IMG]

To remove the ignition coil, remove the four bolts on the top:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you remove the ignition coil, be careful not to lose the four rubber gaskets underneath. They will probably be stuck to the base or to the engine:

[​IMG]

If the gaskets look cracked and worn, they should be replaced. Mine looked OK after cleaning them up a bit.

Put the ignition coil to the side and out of the way:

[​IMG]

With more work space, you can work on the lower clamp. Loosen it by compressing the tabs again, and work it down the hose. Twist the tank free of the hose:

[​IMG]

This is what it looks like with the tank removed:

[​IMG]

Attach the lower hose to the new tank and re-clamp it. Insert the tank into the two holes and reattach the upper nut. Reattach the upper hose:

[​IMG]

Reattach the coil pack. Don't forget the four rubber gaskets at the base. Recommended torque for the four bolts is 9 foot-lbs:

[​IMG]

Reattach the car battery.

Refill the coolant expansion tank with coolant (I used the MINI coolant from the dealer mixed 50:50 with distilled water).

20. imspencerwithanr53

imspencerwithanr53 New Member

May 27, 2009
    Barista
    Portland, OR
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    No need to disconnect the battery. :)